Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Rubio, Ryan, Paul, Cruz vote *against* bill to extend debt limit, end gov shutdown

1. -1
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Rubio, Ryan, Paul, Cruz vote *against* bill to extend debt limit, end gov shutdown

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...e-debt-ceiling

Goes to show how they think this whole episode will play with the voters when primary season rolls around.

#freespesh
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Interesting that all the names that are early contenders for the 2016 nomination voted against it. They know they need Tea Party support for it and they are already bolstering their portfolios, so to speak...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Interesting that all the names that are early contenders for the 2016 nomination voted against it. They know they need Tea Party support for it and they are already bolstering their portfolios, so to speak...
    The ultra conservative political action committee run by former Senator Jim DeMint has been raising money hand over fist the last few years -- not to beat Democrats -- but to fund primary challenges against Republicans who don't pass a purity test. Republicans are more scared of that PAC -- and other ones with a similar mission, like the Heritage Action Committee -- than they are of having to discuss their views on abortion to, well... any woman anywhere.

I wonder how frankly these guys got the message that their ability to fund raise through these PACs directly and through their contact lists was riding on that vote. I'm sure it was pretty frank... like gun to your head frank.

On the other side of the coin, though, big business and investors hate these ****ing shenanigans. As I said, S&P estimates the shutdown cost the economy $25 billion. That ain't chump change, and the richer you are the more you're going to feel that. Not to mention a lot of US Treasury Bonds are held by private individuals and organizations in the US. Well, the Republicans basically just pushed those bonds to the center of the table and flirted with the idea of telling these guys to go **** themselves on the interest they're owed. Even though the bond market saw through the "crisis" and didn't spook, people using "end times" rhetoric when it comes to the debt limit can't be popular. At what point do these bond holders -- many of them wealthy donors to the GOP -- put a belt around the balls of some of these guys and squeeze if they even mention doing this kind of **** again?

It's obvious to me that the voters aren't going to be the ones to chasten the Republicans from engaging in this kind of behavior. Enough of the base cheers them on and redistricting has made the primary the election and the election a coronation. But Big Business has the influence to change things if they want to. I wonder what it will take to make them want to.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government can not pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that "the buck stops here." Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."

Senator Barack Obama 2006

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    that quote from BO is priceless.

it's why a growing number of people have evolved past the current juvenile, pre-programmed, pre-fabricated, bought and paid for political system.

it's hard to herd cats, people...not so much.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    The ultra conservative political action committee run by former Senator Jim DeMint has been raising money hand over fist the last few years -- not to beat Democrats -- but to fund primary challenges against Republicans who don't pass a purity test. Republicans are more scared of that PAC -- and other ones with a similar mission, like the Heritage Action Committee -- than they are of having to discuss their views on abortion to, well... any woman anywhere.

I wonder how frankly these guys got the message that their ability to fund raise through these PACs directly and through their contact lists was riding on that vote. I'm sure it was pretty frank... like gun to your head frank.

On the other side of the coin, though, big business and investors hate these ****ing shenanigans. As I said, S&P estimates the shutdown cost the economy $25 billion. That ain't chump change, and the richer you are the more you're going to feel that. Not to mention a lot of US Treasury Bonds are held by private individuals and organizations in the US. Well, the Republicans basically just pushed those bonds to the center of the table and flirted with the idea of telling these guys to go **** themselves on the interest they're owed. Even though the bond market saw through the "crisis" and didn't spook, people using "end times" rhetoric when it comes to the debt limit can't be popular. At what point do these bond holders -- many of them wealthy donors to the GOP -- put a belt around the balls of some of these guys and squeeze if they even mention doing this kind of **** again?

It's obvious to me that the voters aren't going to be the ones to chasten the Republicans from engaging in this kind of behavior. Enough of the base cheers them on and redistricting has made the primary the election and the election a coronation. But Big Business has the influence to change things if they want to. I wonder what it will take to make them want to.
    Headline of the Wall Street Journal:

I agree with your premise that its going to take the "hands that feed" to correct this problem...i just dont think it will happen. Not anytime soon. There is still to much money being pumped into Tea Party candidates and many of those funding those idiots believe that not only they are doing the right thing but their efforts will be rewarded. That attitude will only grow after next years election.

That said, i do disagree that it wont be voters who embarrass Republicans into action. Ultimately it will be, but its going to be on the national stage. Eventually even the most hardened ideologue will get tired of losing Presidential elections. Many of these people doing the funding are pragmatic enough to 1) see they are hurting the party they align closest to, and 2) pissing away their money. Once those who dump money into psycho's stop, the centrists will receive the money and attention needed to be a real contender.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered

#freespesh. Because HIPAA
    http://www.finheaven.com/showthread....e-Recap-Thread
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post

I have no doubt that they were told as much. And it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that any of those names were willing to sell out their principles to ensure they get their money come 2016.

Despite it being a longshot and almost guaranteed not to happen, can you imagine what would happen to the GoP if these major corporations pull their donations due to the Tea Party costing them money? The demographic shifts are giving them enough problems, but adding one of their staunchest allies taking their ball and going home? I think it's much more likely that their donations start to move away from Tea Party candidate and back towards the moderate Republicans. That would be a best case scenario I think. In no way do I ever want one political party having most of the power. Extremist right wingers are terrible for the country. Moderate righties are great for the country. We need to shift back towards them...
    Quote Quote