Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ACA Website is a Disaster

1. -1
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks

ACA Website is a Disaster

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/21/opinio...html?hpt=hp_t4

The rollout of the federal Obamacare website has been a disaster, full stop. There can be no excuses, nor will I be making any. It's been clear for years what needed to be done, and failing was not an option. The exchanges, and the website that allowed access to them, had to work, and they just do not.

I wrote a week or two ago that the initial problems with the HealthCare.gov website appeared to be because of volume issues. That could be spun as either a positive or negative thing. But it now seems that the surge was not the cause of the malfunctions. After the first weekend, when the administration added additional capacity to the servers, the issues didn't go away.

What are they? I wish I could say for sure. But some good reports have come out that detail just a few of the problems.
    Add this to the fact that people all over the country are seeing huge premiums makes this a borderline disaster. This whole bill really only helps those that couldn't get insurance because of a pre-exsisting condition, but a federal mandate striking down the the exsistance of pre-ex could have done that. And its only helping the pre-ex folks that can afford the plans.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    I think that most people now are recognizing that Obamacare will not be successful. 2016 will most likely be decided by people voting on repealing it, or expanding it to single payer.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    as far as the website that's a programming issue, as someone who has designed websites before that's really hard to understand. you would think the government could hire some good web designers and get enough servers to handle a large volume.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    democrats are awesome
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Seems like nothing can ever be implemented smoothly. White House should have done a better job in hiring whomever was supposed to roll this thing out. As for cost, it seems a little early to tell considering the beef of the bill isn't set to implement until March or whenever they delayed it too...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Seems like nothing can ever be implemented smoothly. White House should have done a better job in hiring whomever was supposed to roll this thing out. As for cost, it seems a little early to tell considering the beef of the bill isn't set to implement until March or whenever they delayed it too...
    Unfortunately higher premiums are already being seen by everyone (including those with health insurance through their employers) because it's now open enrollment for most companies so employees are seeing their 2014 ACA influenced premiums. Not too mention the crazy high premiums that people are seeing through the exchanges. At least the people that don't get subsidies.

It's not good anyway you slice it.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    Unfortunately higher premiums are already being seen by everyone (including those with health insurance through their employers) because it's now open enrollment for most companies so employees are seeing their 2014 ACA influenced premiums. Not too mention the crazy high premiums that people are seeing through the exchanges. At least the people that don't get subsidies.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapoth...hange-account/

More people have lost their health insurance so far than have signed up for the exchange. If they don't fix this site soon they are going to have to delay the individual mandate at least for a few months. This has been a disaster so far, and it doesn't look like its getting better anytime soon.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post

Yes, most of us are going to see increase in premiums and out of pocket healthcare to pay for the insurance reforms, especially for individuals and the young. The later greatly diminishing the mandate tax increasing pool theory, high cost means more rather pay tax and not be part of insurance pool, which means those with insurance pay more. But corporations will save that are replacing high premium plans with 60-40 Bronze and 70-30 silver plans.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_16...-low-coverage/
    Arrival of Obamacare forcing insurers to drop customers with low coverage

The Affordable Care Act was signed by President Obama in 2010 and since then he has repeated one reassuring phrase: "If you like your insurance plan you will keep it. No one will be able to take that away from you. It hasn't happened yet. It won't happen in the future."

But it is happening
    "Before I had a plan that I had a $1,500 deductible," she said. "I paid $199 dollars a month. The most similar plan that I would have available to me would be $278 a month. My deductible would be $6,500 dollars, and all of my care after that point would only be covered 70 percent."

Gerry Kominski, director of public health policy at UCLA said: "About half of the 14 million people who buy insurance on their own are not going to be able to keep the policies that they had previously."
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Still extremely early to say one way or the other, but so far I don't know anybody who has seen increases or loss of healthcare. However, I do know quite a few who will have access to healthcare they previously couldn't afford (all of them mature students). But hey, maybe I should be scared because I'm told I should be by one side.

Either way, I'm good with my VA healthcare.

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Still extremely early to say one way or the other, but so far I don't know anybody who has seen increases or loss of healthcare. However, I do know quite a few who will have access to healthcare they previously couldn't afford (all of them mature students). But hey, maybe I should be scared because I'm told I should be by one side.

Either way, I'm good with my VA healthcare.
    Darn you scaring CNN and CBS lefties!
    Quote Quote