Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McDonald's coffee lawsuit

1. -11
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Optimal coffee brewing temperature is 184 F, I find nothing wrong with the temp of McDonald's coffee at the time.

It's like someone suing a car company because they accidentally stuck their hand in the accessory belt while the engine was running.

Awarding her money was completely wrong. She got paid because she didn't know that coffee was hot, bs imo.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Locke probably got confused with Celsius.
    Still gotta think about these things before calling something excessive. 180 c is ridiculously hot, that's so hot water wouldn't have a chance to boil before instantly becoming vapor.

Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    The coffee was hot enough to leave 3rd degree burns that resulted in skin grafting. A lot of people also don't realize what punitive damages, in which the majority of the money she got come from, are. They are damages intended to change or deter the defendant from continuing in doing what got them in court in the first place. Essentially it's to punish the defendant. Mcdonalds is a multi billion dollar corporation. How much do you think needed to be awarded in punitive damages to affect them? Their arrogance for not settling for $10000 was idiotic.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilDylan View Post
    Still gotta think about these things before calling something excessive. 180 c is ridiculously hot, that's so hot water wouldn't have a chance to boil before instantly becoming vapor.

Was probably just an oversight by him. Happens to the best.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post
    The coffee was hot enough to leave 3rd degree burns that resulted in skin grafting. A lot of people also don't realize what punitive damages, in which the majority of the money she got come from, are. They are damages intended to change or deter the defendant from continuing in doing what got them in court in the first place. Essentially it's to punish the defendant. Mcdonalds is a multi billion dollar corporation. How much do you think needed to be awarded in punitive damages to affect them? Their arrogance for not settling for $10000 was idiotic.
    The downfall of just accepting 10k is that it would open up for anything and everything for 10k. It is a slippery slope for a business to accept any offer like that.

Like I said I am not a fan of McDonalds but for anybody to put a cup of hot coffee between your legs or your knees or whatever, opening the lid is absurd. I can just bot sue one for my own stupidity no matter how much pain it causes me. What's wrong with the card board tray McDonalds is giving for free for like 20 or 30 years?

I am truly sorry for the lady and her burns back then but if that would happen to me I wouldn't even considering asking for anything, much less sue. Would not even enter my mind. Maybe my idea of personal responsibility is much more different than the average person.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilDylan View Post

I confused the two. So sue me. Actually, don't. That's tempting fate considering the thread topic...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    The downfall of just accepting 10k is that it would open up for anything and everything for 10k. It is a slippery slope for a business to accept any offer like that.

Like I said I am not a fan of McDonalds but for anybody to put a cup of hot coffee between your legs or your knees or whatever, opening the lid is absurd. I can just bot sue one for my own stupidity no matter how much pain it causes me. What's wrong with the card board tray McDonalds is giving for free for like 20 or 30 years?

I am truly sorry for the lady and her burns back then but if that would happen to me I wouldn't even considering asking for anything, much less sue. Would not even enter my mind. Maybe my idea of personal responsibility is much more different than the average person.

They are in styorafoam cup with a flimsy top. If a child accidently grabs his parents while they arent watching and spills it on himself scarring him do you still feel the same way? I dont drink coffee so would have no idea how hot the liquid was but I would never believe it to be so hot that it could cause enough tissue damage to need skin grafting. Honestly, i dont know how people drink it while that that hot.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    They are in styorafoam cup with a flimsy top. If a child accidently grabs his parents while they arent watching and spills it on himself scarring him do you still feel the same way? I dont drink coffee so would have no idea how hot the liquid was but I would never believe it to be so hot that it could cause enough tissue damage to need skin grafting. Honestly, i dont know how people drink it while that that hot.
    But how is that McDonalds fault? Wouldn't that be the parents fault? Don't get me wrong I feel bad for this woman, mostly because she unintentionally became the face of ridiculous law suits. This opened the door for people suing because they fell in a super market etc. Coffee is supposed to be hot, not luke warm, which is why when you first get it you have to slowly sip it.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhankey81701 View Post
    But how is that McDonalds fault? Wouldn't that be the parents fault? Don't get me wrong I feel bad for this woman, mostly because she unintentionally became the face of ridiculous law suits. This opened the door for people suing because they fell in a super market etc. Coffee is supposed to be hot, not luke warm, which is why when you first get it you have to slowly sip it.
    Because they made it so hot that it was unsafe. She wasnt the only one who was hurt from the scalding either as shown by the other reports. At what point do you hold the defendant negligant? I mean could they serve it at 210 degrees F and you still would have no issue with it.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Because they made it so hot that it was unsafe. She wasnt the only one who was hurt from the scalding either as shown by the other reports. At what point do you hold the defendant negligant? I mean could they serve it at 210 degrees F and you still would have no issue with it.
    If they served their coffee at 210 degrees I would have no problem with it. I believe that the moment you order hot coffee you accept responsibility for the temperature of that coffee. The hotter the water is the better it absorbs the flavor of the coffee grinds, thats why the hotter the coffee is the better it tastes, even when you make iced coffee you first boil the water to high temperature, after it brews then you add the ice to lower the temperature. If the coffee is too hot for your taste you can add cream/milk to it to lower the temperature, you also could wait a few minutes for it to cool off a little bit. I just think its a bit extreme for people to sue for millions of dollars because hot coffee is hot, everyone that drinks coffee has burned themselves a few times.
    Quote Quote