Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: The Next Ted Cruz

1. -1
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

The Next Ted Cruz

On Oct. 16, as the House and Senate sheepishly reopened the government and raised the debt limit, political reporters opened their email to find an unsolicited invitation. Someone named Chris McDaniel, a 41-year-old Misssissippi state senator, would soon “end speculation” over his plans to run for the U.S. Senate. On Oct. 17, sure enough, McDaniel stood before the Ellisville, Miss. courthouse and confirmed that he would challenge Sen. Thad Cochran, who’s sat behind a Senate desk since 1979.

“I am reminded of that first revolution,” said McDaniel, flanked by supporters and a Patton-sized American flag. “I stand here with you, with the silent majority of Americans who believe we can retake this country, who still believe in liberty.”

Cochran, the first Republican to win a direct election to one of Mississippi’s Senate seats, did not vote for the Affordable Care Act. But he didn’t vote with Sens. Ted Cruz and Mike Lee against the House’s continuing resolution—a procedural vote that would have prevented debate on the funding and thus blocked Democrats from adding back funding for the law. He voted with most Senate Republicans on the shutdown-ending bill. So conservatives want to replace him. McDaniel’s announcement was echoed by an immediate $1 million ad buy from the Washington, D.C.–based Club for Growth, introducing Mississippians to McDaniel as an antidote to (unnamed) “career politicians bankrupting our country.”
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...following.html

As I've said before -- and this article makes the same point -- the idea that the Tea Party has been beaten and shamed by the whole shutdown fiasco into changing their minds on tone and/or strategy is simply not going to happen. They're going to keep pushing, and pushing, and pushing.
    I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The tea party might be just what the doctor ordered to get some widespread electoral reforms.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    You know your a member of the tea party when Fox news leans a little too far left for your liking
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    The tea party might be just what the doctor ordered to get some widespread electoral reforms.
    While ive been vocal about electoral reforms, Id settle for two "lesser" reforms: filibuster and Speaker powers. Prevent crap like the "Hastert rule" and our government becomes a lot more functional. And not being able to obstruct the government would cause the Tea Party to lose a lot of steam.

But i agree with the article, we are in for some tough times. I got a kick out of those suggesting the government wont shutdown in 3 months. Im not sure how anyone could confidently state that.
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    its all right, Im a rice dick apparently.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Beach / Reno
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The house was exercising it's power. If the power roles were reversed, I doubt there would be complaints about here by the lefties.
    Anything the diminishes that power could potentially be more disastrous.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    The house was exercising it's power. If the power roles were reversed, I doubt there would be complaints about here by the lefties.
    Lefties dont believe that the best government is the most ****ed up government, thats right wing exclusive. Thus, they wouldnt be pleased at all with the government shutting down. Especially over something they already agreed to.

For some of the things we've proposed the minority would still have their protections. Theyd just have to win some elections, have to actually filibuster instead of "silent" filibustering, and actually vote on bills instead of receiving them and sitting on them. Or put another way: run a republic.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    The next time the Democrats shut down the government costing the economy $25 billion let me know.

Restricting the ability to filibuster also doesn't diminish the power of Congress. It just hampers the ability of a minority of a minority to create complete deadlock within Congress.
    Quote Quote