Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Uruguay to Sell Weed for 1 Dollar Per Gram

1. -1
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

Uruguay to Sell Weed for 1 Dollar Per Gram

MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay (AP) — Uruguay's drug czar says the country plans to sell legal marijuana for $1 per gram, though he's given higher figures in the past.

A law already passed in the lower house of Congress and expected to pass in the Senate later this year would make Uruguay the first country in the world to license and enforce rules for the production, distribution and sale of marijuana for adult consumers.

The El Pais newspaper reported Sunday that drug chief Julio Calzada says marijuana sales should start in the second half of 2014 at a price of $1.

He says the idea isn't to make money, but to wrench the market away from illegal dealers. Calzada said in August that the price would be around $2.5 per gram.

Sales are for locals only.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4137179.html

What a stroke of brilliance from their Drug Chief. I've long been saying that the only people a drug-war empowers are the criminals who sell it (I think the same thing about guns, but that's a different discussion for a different day).

Just so you guys have a point of reference, 15$ a gram is pretty standard & it's the most I would consider paying, but it would also have to be some pretty dank ****. 10$ a gram is a more ideal black market price, & I've seen good quality medicinal weed being sold in California for as low as 6-7$ per gram. Forget making money, at 1$ a gram I'm surprised they won't be taking a hit.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4137179.html

What a stroke of brilliance from their Drug Chief. I've long been saying that the only people a drug-war empowers are the criminals who sell it (I think the same thing about guns, but that's a different discussion for a different day).

Just so you guys have a point of reference, 15$ a gram is pretty standard & it's the most I would consider paying, but it would also have to be some pretty dank ****. 10$ a gram is a more ideal black market price, & I've seen good quality medicinal weed being sold in California for as low as 6-7$ per gram. Forget making money, at 1$ a gram I'm surprised they won't be taking a hit.
    Thats right around the same price as when I was a kid lol...
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    More kids smoking dope there. How wonderful.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    More kids smoking dope there. How wonderful.
    From the few countries that have either legalized or decriminalized, there's no statistical evidence that legalization affects either uptake, or discontinuation.

That said, if I had to choose one, I'd rather foster a culture of cannabis use than one where 80% of college students drink alcohol regularly, & more than half of those report binge drinking within the past two weeks.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rob's living room right now:

FWIW I know someone who did a stint in the Peace Corps in Uruguay. It did not seem to be the most... hospitable place.
    No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    From the few countries that have either legalized or decriminalized, there's no statistical evidence that legalization affects either uptake, or discontinuation.

That said, if I had to choose one, I'd rather foster a culture of cannabis use than one where 80% of college students drink alcohol regularly, & more than half of those report binge drinking within the past two weeks.
    I know that in Amsterdam there are a lot of people that have complaints about the decriminalization of marijuana, but it primarily isn't because of the locals. Their major concern are the tourists, particularly the American college students that travel to Amsterdam just to get high and cause a disturbance. I think that has to do with Americans taking advantage of the legality and overloading in the short time they are visiting, the more you are exposed to it the less of a big deal it becomes and most people cut down on the binge usage.
    Quote Quote