Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2014 QB Draft

1. -41
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Manziel. Make it happen.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Except Oswieler was drafted in the mid second round and is a much better prospect. I'd rather burn a late rounder on Blake Bortles presuming he doesn't rise to high in the draft
    I don't think Bortles is a guy whose gonna be available late...like what I've seen.

Sign: Daryn Colledge
    Draft: 1. LB Ryan Shazier 2. OL Joel Bitonio 3. WR Donte Moncrief 4. OL Brandon Thomas 5. OT Laurent Duvernay Tardif 6. RB Bo Oliver 7. TBD

LT Albert LG Smith C Pouncey RG Colledge RT Bitonio
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Chase Rettig should be available in FA. I really like him.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    If Tannehill is not the answer and he was drafted by Ireland, then the first course of action is firing Ireland. If he missed once on the most important position you don't give him a second chance. Obviously you then install a coaching system and evaluate the requirement you need at QB.

As for drafting a QB I am all for drafting one each year until they get it right. Curious to see how the 2014 class lines up because as of right now, there doesn't appear to be a can't miss guy. Manziel is a nice idea and I am starting to dismiss the notion that you need great size in todays NFL. I echo the concern with his lack of maturity.
    I don't agree. We the dolfans like most sports-fans tend to be bipolar, we can cheer and love a player that has poor talent but a lot of luck and can trash and hate a talented guy that's having a bad time. I suggest you to relax and evaluate the situation with cold mind.

Ryan Tannehill is a young passer, one under development. Before draft day he was seeing as a project QB and Dolphins' FO knew it from first hand, because Sherman was his coach at Texas A&M. The reasons for picking him might be unclear but in few words, Ryan has a lot of talent and potential. He's different because unlike most NFL QB, he was a receiver for a great part of his college days, so he was projected to need a large development including a pathetic rookie year in 2012 and his upgrade should start to be noticed by his third NFL season (2014).

But Tannehill won important games in 2012 and has been better than average in his second season behind the worse O-line of the league. So Tannehill has surpassed expectations from scouts and clearly you are acting wrong by ignoring those facts.

That said, picking Tannehill wasn't a call from Jeff Ireland himself. Philbin, Ireland and Ross were on the same page about him and their expectations on the young passer were lower than what most fans got because of his 1st round caliber.

Also as they added star WR Mike Wallace for an insane sum, we the fans assumed to be enjoying with Dolphins scoring 70 points or more per game, but as that's not the case, there's a lot of frustration because Ryan can't complete several passes of 40 yards or more per game.

Some fans are trashing Wallace other part of the fanbase is asking for a new QB and several others want to get rid of Ireland, Sherman, Philbin or whatever combination of these trio because they're losing patience. It might sound strange but I want to get rid of Ireland not because of his results, but his manners. Jeff is not the kind of manager that this organization deserves.

I don't see things on black and white, I see a great gamma of colors in between. I understand that TODAY Ryan Tannehill isn't as good as Andrew Luck, but Luck is on pace to kill the league in a year or two. It's clear Tannehill will require more time than Luck. But that doesn't mean Tannehill won't be a better QB than Luck. It means he's developing, adjusting and learning.

Think about Mike Wallace chemistry with Tannehill. As ESPN's week 13 power rankings says "The deep threat finally showed up", referring the way Mike Wallace was targeted 4-5 times on 40+ yards throws, leading to a TD and another big plays. Of course we're furious trashing Wallace for dropping a sure TD or Tannehill for overthrowing Wallace in another play. Where most persons are seeing failure, I see progress.

As a passer I am a decent TE, but as my coach tried to insert me in some tricky plays, I learned about reading defenses, hiding the play and throwing depth passes. During that time I noticed about how each player has different speed, exactitude and style to follow a route, and that in 40+ passes require you to gain time in order to allow your receiver to run his route. So the touch is not the key, but the timing. So I can see how difficult is to synchronize Wallace and Tannehill because Ryan wants to throw with timed precision and Wallace is asking to compensate the throw based on the exact point where he's able to explode his route.

They're finding a middle point, but it needs more practice and could be totally fixed by next season.

On Philbin I trust.
    From Mexico, GO PHINS GO!!!
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Let me be clear.

If Ryan Tannehill have been available at 2013 draft, he could have been the top pick overall.

If Ryan Tannehill has been available for this class, he would be the 1st pick overall.

Picking a project QB every single year is a must in this league, but that doesn't mean to use a high pick on it.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ProStyle View Post
    Chase Rettig should be available in FA. I really like him.
    Interesting, very interesting.

Pat Devlin has been developing well and Matt Moore is under contract for another season. Would you say that Chase Rettig is an upgrade over any of them?
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I'd use a late pick on Fales. Hasn't had a very good year but he's looking like a late rounder. Has a really good feel for the position and I think would suit this offense.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MexDolfan View Post
    Let me be clear.

If Ryan Tannehill have been available at 2013 draft, he could have been the top pick overall.

If Ryan Tannehill has been available for this class, he would be the 1st pick overall.

Picking a project QB every single year is a must in this league, but that doesn't mean to use a high pick on it.
    Tannehill would have a difficult time breaking the top 10 in this draft.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If tannehill played like manziels did vs Lsu this board would be roasting him...the qb was not good in that game...had plenty of time and missed throws all over the place...

The arms got me a little concerned I see a lot of double hitching to get the ball down the field on some routes...doesn't have tannehills arm from the pocket
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    If tannehill played like manziels did vs Lsu this board would be roasting him...the qb was not good in that game...had plenty of time and missed throws all over the place...

The arms got me a little concerned I see a lot of double hitching to get the ball down the field on some routes...doesn't have tannehills arm from the pocket
    If Tannehill played like Manziel in any of Manziel's other games this season, FH would already be trying to put him in the Hall of Fame. I think there's more meat on the bone with Tannehill. I think a system more like the one in Seattle would do wonders for him and the team in general.

I think the LSU game was more about LSU thoroughly dominating A&M physically on offense and defense. LSU's DB's were able to hold and interfere with A&M WR's all day, and apart from Mike Evans, A&M's WR's don't match up with LSU's secondary on a physical level. The play where Evans was interfered with and dropped a TD pass summed up the game. No call on the PI, dropped pass in the end zone. If Manziel had 3 TD passes on the day (which he would have with the two drops), people wouldn't be saying that Manziel had such a terrible day. He did miss throws, no doubt, but look at the conditions. Mettenberger (who should go in the 1st RD) was 11 for 20 despite having two outstanding WR's and 8 or 9 defenders in the box all game. The weather was an issue for both QB's. The difference is that Manziel is asked to do everything for his team every single week. It's a recipe for losing, and Sumlin should take a better job elsewhere at season's end, but Manziel is brilliant enough to beat SEC teams despite QB'ing for a Big 12 team.
    Quote Quote