Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most U.S. libertarians do not identify with Tea Party: survey

1. -21
    The Ghost

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    They certainly served similar purposes but I think the Tea Party hurt the Republicans worse than Occupy hurt the Dems. People sympathized with the Occupy folks, why I have no idea, but crucified the Tea Party. Media magic!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Pretty much.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Black Crown Initiate: Withering Waves
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlqJA1Rteio
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They certainly served similar purposes but I think the Tea Party hurt the Republicans worse than Occupy hurt the Dems. People sympathized with the Occupy folks, why I have no idea, but crucified the Tea Party. Media magic!

It's not a legitimate comparison. The Tea Party was there first and is still around, giving them much more power... and much more of an opportunity to embarrass themselves. There's no "Occupy" caucus among the Democrats in Congress. It came, it got the honeymoon coverage all of these movements -- including the Tea Party -- get, and it went.

Quote Quote  

4. -24
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The one that came to prominence in 2009 mirrors the spirit of the group from the 1700s, or at least it did. It is a train wreck of right-wing social activism now with their core message, which is good, completely overshadowed. Obama himself couldn't have planned it better but all he had had to do is stand back and watch what could have been legitimate opposition implode.

Oh please. The 2009 version was never about reducing government spending, taxes etc. Otherwise they would have had a hey-day during 8 years of Bush. The 2009 version was an anti-Obama movement sponsored by right wing elite groups like the Koch brothers and supported by Republican politicians who saw an early opportunity to throw mayhem into a new presidency.

So where was the movement mirroring 'the spirit of the group from the 1700s' prior to Obama?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Oh please. The 2009 version was never about reducing government spending, taxes etc. Otherwise they would have had a hey-day during 8 years of Bush. The 2009 version was an anti-Obama movement sponsored by right wing elite groups like the Koch brothers and supported by Republican politicians who saw an early opportunity to throw mayhem into a new presidency.

So where was the movement mirroring 'the spirit of the group from the 1700s' prior to Obama?
    I suppose you went to the rallies and listened to the speeches. I am giving you a first hand account and I am telling you what was spoken about.

Also, you are absolutely wrong about Bush. Most fiscal conservatives hated him because of his spending habits, he was a fiscal RINO all the way. The grass roots were planted under Bush, they just took hold during Obama's first year and made an impact in the midterm elections of 2010. Had the cause not have been diluted so badly, they would have had a much bigger positive impact in this last election.

Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    It's not a legitimate comparison. The Tea Party was there first and is still around, giving them much more power... and much more of an opportunity to embarrass themselves. There's no "Occupy" caucus among the Democrats in Congress. It came, it got the honeymoon coverage all of these movements -- including the Tea Party -- get, and it went.
    I would agree with this but remember that I did not try to directly compare them. However, there are some similarities although they lie at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    So are you saying he is wrong? Seems like Rand Paul agrees with him since he is in the process of selling out...
    Yes he is wrong. And Rand is definitely pandering. At least Rand still believes and fights for our civil liberties. Unlike the Black Bush and Bush's 5th term in Hillary. The status quo won't allow Rand to win the nomination no matter how much he panders. A candidate that wants to audit the Fed, the Pentagon and the IRS not to mention stand up for basic constitutional rights. Won't be allowed or approved of by the corporatists and fascists that run the government. Your vote in Hillary is already pre-approved by Goldman Sachs, the surveillance state, the war state, banks and wall street. The elite will approve her GOP counter-part in Christie/Rubio or Cruz. Then the zombies will vote for their new puppet. Rinse, Repeat and Sell every 4 years.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would agree with this but remember that I did not try to directly compare them. However, there are some similarities although they lie at opposite ends of the spectrum.

The comparison was implicit given you attacked the media for favoring one over the other. The Occupy movement didn't last long enough for the bloom to come off the rose. I mean, it wasn't like people weren't criticizing them. Some certainly were. But there's a natural romance to these minor uprisings and protests. Not to mention Wall Street is utterly contemptible. The Tea Party on the other hand morphed into an actual political movement. With that comes actual criticism.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post

Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    For the most part, yes. I am very Christian but find it appalling to force someone into my morality by legally mandating behavior. I do not morally agree with gay lifestyle/marriage, drug use, or abortion but could not imagine depriving someone of their choice...that is between them and God.

The Tea Party started as a grass roots movement to reduce taxes through prudent spending. It now seems like a bunch of nut jobs planning on bombing abortion clinics. I have been to some of the initial rallies and no social issues were mentioned at all, it was all fiscal. It should have stayed that way, the political climate might be different and conservatives wouldn't be viewed as wackos nearly as much.

really? bombing abortion clinics huh? Just wondering where you get your info from. Not that I want to waste my time defending the tea party, cus actually I think were all screwed no matter what anyone does, I just want the truth, not the obsolete truth. Not someone's ranting opinion based on liberal media's constant repetitive BS.
    Quote Quote