Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: CONFIRMED: Israel Launched Strikes On Syrian Missile Sites, Damascus

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

CONFIRMED: Israel Launched Strikes On Syrian Missile Sites, Damascus

The targeted anti-aircraft missile site near Latakia
    U.S. officials have confirmed that Israel struck Syrian missile sites in two different locations Wednesday, reports CNN.
    The sites, one in the port city of Latakia and another in Damascus, allegedly contained surface to air missile systems said to be slated for delivery to Hezbollah in Lebanon.
    The strikes took out SA-8 anti-aircraft missiles, The Times of Israel reports. The SA-8 system is a truck-mounted, and highly mobile, but with low-altitude and short range capabilities.
    The Times of Israel and The Jerusalem Post, citing satellite images obtained by Channel 2, reports that Russian-made Neva S-125 surface-to-air anti-aircraft missiles and SA-3 missile battery which also includes a command center with radar and antennas to track the missiles and their targets were seen in the area.
    S-125 missiles have an operational range of up to 9 miles and are equipped to take out small aircraft at a low to medium altitude. They were a favorite of Egyptians in the Yom Kipper War, and of Iraqis during the first Gulf War, The Times notes.
    The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported a loud explosion in a Syrian army base and a Syrian security official confirmed there was a strike.
    The Times of Israel cited Twitter users who said the blast occurred near Snobar Jableh, just south of Latakia.
    The pro-regime Syrian news outlet Dam Press reported that the site was heavily damaged but there were no injuries.
    Syrian, Lebanese, and Israeli news sources speculated that Israel carried out the strike from the Mediterranean. The subreddit r/syriancivilwar has a rundown of all of the reports.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/israel...144608834.html

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

**** got real son!! A clear act of war and aggression.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, this could be bad! I don't like that Israel struck first...it is a lot harder to justify than a retaliation. Lord knows a retaliation is coming from Syria now and an Israeli strike could galvanize all of the warring factions against Israel and consequently, the US.

What I want to know is, if Israel is going to preemptively strike Syria, why would they choose two low value missile batteries and nothing else? That sounds kind of fishy to me. They would usually only hit targets like that on their way toward disabling anti-aircraft, radar, and communication capabilities but would then proceed in destroying high-value targets like supposed WMD storage or manufacturing facilities. It just doesn't sound right.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    A few years ago Israel struck a Syrian nuclear reactor, and there was no counterstrike against Israel. I would be very surprised if Assad was able to muster anything against Syria since he still has his hands full with the civil war.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Ours is the fury.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Assad never hitting back when Israel attacks like this is a big propaganda boost for the opposition too.
    but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Quote Originally Posted by King Stannis Baratheon
    Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.
    Quote Quote