Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody had a splenectomy?

1. -1
    FIN4LIFE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo

Anybody had a splenectomy?

I'm going to get my spleen cut out Monday morning. Just curious to what kind of recovery I am looking forward to. The doc said I will be out of work for about 6 weeks but I am wondering how long it will take to get out of bed and resume daily activities. My spleen is about double in size so I won't know what type of surgery he performs until post op. Hopefully it's laser but he said if it's too big they will have to cut me open to remove and I will have to stay in the hospital for a few days, ugh. Been battling autoimmune hemolytic anemia for a few years now but I lost the battle. At least I have an extended vacation for the holidays and the football season to look forward to but getting old still sucks.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Can't help you brother....But my wife had a radical hysterectomy. She was in the hospital for
    four days, and was on her back for about 21...Then, semi mobile for about another 21.

She's still not right, years later. I was going to ask how old you were...I assume over 40. Just assume
    that you're shooting for "good enough" in terms of recovery. I'm 46 and I thank god that it's only my
    joints and thyroid so far.

Push, but don't push too hard. Don't give up. Reduce caloric consumption. Weight can pile up quick.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FIN4LIFE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm 42, other than my blood count being out of whack, I would say i'm healthy. Doc said not being over weight will help out . Never thought about the laying around getting fat aspect of it.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Don't have any experience with that.

Good luck to you.

I did have spinal fusion done about 8 years ago.
    If they go the major survey route it will be a longer recovery. I missed 2 months of work and had to learn to walk all over at age 43.

But 8 years later I'm playing golf and doing well.

Have faith in our wonderful medical professionals and hopefully this is just a story you recite years down the road.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytona Fin View Post
    I'm 42, other than my blood count being out of whack, I would say i'm healthy. Doc said not being over weight will help out . Never thought about the laying around getting fat aspect of it.
    You can't eat what you ate before.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    wow.. that sucks, so sorry to hear this. Make sure you stay FH-connected while in the hospital so we can keep track of your progress

Personally I have no idea what that entails...but it doesn't sound pleasant. As someone who was relatively healthy but had a bunch of **** simultaneously implode over the last year, some of it life-threatening, I can understand your apprehension over the entire ordeal, but can only add that as with me, a)you'll modify what you have to and move on and b)often the anticipation far exceeds what turns out to be the reality. So hang in there bud.

ANNOUNCING a new FH smiley. Use it judiciously and selectively as to not diminish its impact!

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FIN4LIFE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    wow.. that sucks, so sorry to hear this. Make sure you stay FH-connected while in the hospital so we can keep track of your progress

Personally I have no idea what that entails...but it doesn't sound pleasant. As someone who was relatively healthy but had a bunch of **** simultaneously implode over the last year, some of it life-threatening, I can understand your apprehension over the entire ordeal, but can only add that as with me, a)you'll modify what you have to and move on and b)often the anticipation far exceeds what turns out to be the reality. So hang in there bud.
    Yeah I will be connected, I have to set up my temporary base in the bedroom, laptop , ps3 and whatever bottle of goody meds they give me. You know you are a true dolphins fan when you schedule your surgery around the fins schedule, long break from last game until the next game

Stay healthy bro!
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo

Figures ... Now you'll have ample time to map out your FHMM strategy for the coming tourney.

Other than that, drink lots of beer. It's important to keep your fluid levels high.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FIN4LIFE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post

Figures ... Now you'll have ample time to map out your FHMM strategy for the coming tourney.

Other than that, drink lots of beer. It's important to keep your fluid levels high.
    I'll have plenty of time to get my cache of weapons stocked, as long as I don't get pitted against fishfan in the 1st round it should be smooth sailing.

Ugh please don't mention beer. I haven't had one since last sunday. I got a throat infection this week, figures, been trying to kick it with antibiotics. Starting to get the beer shakes . I'm cheating tomorrow , going to the steak house for a juicy ribeye and a tall glass of frosty beer.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Keeping you in my thoughts and wishing you a speedy recovery.
    Quote Quote