I'm not here to defend Richie, because I don't know all the facts, nor do any of the media folks who've painted Richie as a racist/nutcase.
Let's not kid ourselves, things can very easily be taken out of context and used to make a person look much worse than they are. Examples of that are:
1. Humorous sign on his locker
2. Video of him spazing out at the bar
I want to drop my $0.02 on what I think went down. This is pure speculation and I have no evidence, but the timing seems to line up well.
1. Richie is clearly an A-Hole. No one has disputed that. But I don't think Martin was 'terrified' of him or was called out specifically by Richie. Richie is an alpha male who probably crossed the line a few times and was never confronted because Martin is an introvert.
2. This builds up over time, and Martin who clearly has other demons to deal with eventually snaps when a harmless prank, that he has been involved with before, goes awry.
3. Martin storms out of the facility likely to go see his shrink.
4. Dolphins place Martin on the non football injury list. Honestly, i think this is where things unravel. Martin doesn't get paid if he's on the NFI. And i truly believe that if the Dolphins handled this better, this story would never have broke out. Not sure if this is an Aponte boo boo...
5. Realizing that he's about to lose a ton of money, Martin and his representation (parents or otherwise) see an opportunity to flip this thing upside down and get Martin paid. Probably have no clue the story will snowball into a National debate.
6. Meanwhile, Richie being Richie, blasts Schefter & ESPN for dragging his name through the mud. Has anyone seen Schefter talk about this story? He seems angry. I feel like he's going out of his way to make this thing worse on Richie.
7. The machine takes over. TMZ, CNN, ABC, etc. all dive in and turn this into something bigger than a school shooting.
8. Dolphins players come to Richie's defense and call in question the fact that Martin never raised this internally. Which i might add is the reason why Martin will never play on this team again.