Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: EPA Bans Most Wood-Burning Stoves

  1. -11
    Dolphins9954's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    10,010
    vCash:
    6103
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wonder if the "new and approved" stoves are made by big donors and lobbyists.





    "Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

  2. -12
    Wildbill3's Avatar
    Misery Loves Company

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2001
    Posts:
    24,839
    vCash:
    1936
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Sorry, but anyone who thinks this is a good idea obviously has never had to heat their home with wood heat. It's easily the most affordable way to heat a home, and if you cut and haul your own wood you get a workout (and for those of you clamoring for a healthier America wouldn't you want people working out?) Finally, if you own your own land, the responsible people cut the dead wood or trees struck by spring lightning etc, and they remove wood that would otherwise just fall over, possibly killing other healthy trees, and when you trim of the dead branches and pile them up, guess what? you create a home for smaller critters.

    So honestly, banning wood burning stoves because you think it's bad for the environment, and if your opinion is, well tough cookies, find a new source... you're clearly out of touch.

    Quote Quote  

  3. -13
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,647
    vCash:
    3237
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    Sorry, but anyone who thinks this is a good idea obviously has never had to heat their home with wood heat. It's easily the most affordable way to heat a home, and if you cut and haul your own wood you get a workout (and for those of you clamoring for a healthier America wouldn't you want people working out?) Finally, if you own your own land, the responsible people cut the dead wood or trees struck by spring lightning etc, and they remove wood that would otherwise just fall over, possibly killing other healthy trees, and when you trim of the dead branches and pile them up, guess what? you create a home for smaller critters.

    So honestly, banning wood burning stoves because you think it's bad for the environment, and if your opinion is, well tough cookies, find a new source... you're clearly out of touch.
    I may be I guess. I would have to see the research and see what it is that the EPA sees as an issue. I may be guilty of just assuming the EPA has sound science behind this. I also might be guilty of seeing who the OP was and assuming this was just another conspiracy theory, the government wants to destroy your face, kind of thread.

    But assuming the science is sound, I don't see the issue with it. We just saw over 10,000 people die from a ridiculously powerful typhoon in the Philippines. This is exactly the kind of event climate change scientists have been warning us would happen. So, and again assuming the science is sound, I have no problems forcing people to change their habits now if it means that we leaves future generations with a better world to live in...

    If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

    Quote Quote  

  4. -14
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    7,449
    vCash:
    24338
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My brother is going for his masters in environmental engineering and I asked him about this today. He hadn't heard anything about it but he identified two reasons why the EPA might be pushing it. First of all, the smoke from burning wood is bad for you. It contains all kinds of particulate matter and carcinogens that are linked to a wide variety of health problems. Second of all, he says that we're trying to get other countries, especially in Africa (where wood burning stoves are much more common), away from these kinds of stoves. Not just because of the health problems but because it contributes to deforestation and climate change. We're apparently trying to get them to adopt some processes that have been invented that can create a kind of natural gas from leaves and wood shaving and other things -- called biomass -- that burn much cleaner.

    So the idea is, it's hard for the US to push a country like Ethiopia in this direction if we haven't banned wood burning stoves ourselves.

    Makes sense. I'm still against it.

    My question is: how many wood burning stoves do we have in this country. I'd be curious to see the stats on it.
    No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -15
    Dolphins9954's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    10,010
    vCash:
    6103
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I may be I guess. I would have to see the research and see what it is that the EPA sees as an issue. I may be guilty of just assuming the EPA has sound science behind this. I also might be guilty of seeing who the OP was and assuming this was just another conspiracy theory, the government wants to destroy your face, kind of thread. But assuming the science is sound, I don't see the issue with it. We just saw over 10,000 people die from a ridiculously powerful typhoon in the Philippines. This is exactly the kind of event climate change scientists have been warning us would happen. So, and again assuming the science is sound, I have no problems forcing people to change their habits now if it means that we leaves future generations with a better world to live in...
    Which one is more salty??
    Quote Quote  

  6. -16
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,647
    vCash:
    3237
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    My brother is going for his masters in environmental engineering and I asked him about this today. He hadn't heard anything about it but he identified two reasons why the EPA might be pushing it. First of all, the smoke from burning wood is bad for you. It contains all kinds of particulate matter and carcinogens that are linked to a wide variety of health problems. Second of all, he says that we're trying to get other countries, especially in Africa (where wood burning stoves are much more common), away from these kinds of stoves. Not just because of the health problems but because it contributes to deforestation and climate change. We're apparently trying to get them to adopt some processes that have been invented that can create a kind of natural gas from leaves and wood shaving and other things -- called biomass -- that burn much cleaner.

    So the idea is, it's hard for the US to push a country like Ethiopia in this direction if we haven't banned wood burning stoves ourselves.

    Makes sense. I'm still against it.

    My question is: how many wood burning stoves do we have in this country. I'd be curious to see the stats on it.
    Millions. Easily.

    They are used all over the place in Northern New Mexico and Colorado. They are also very common with native americans here in the southwest. My parents own a cabin in the Durango/Pagosa Springs area, and pretty much everyone up there uses them. There is no natural gas lines due to the terrain and propane is expensive. I'd be interested in what the EPA suggests as an alternative. I would assume propane, but the cost makes it prohibitive for a large portion of the population...
    Quote Quote  

  7. -17
    Dolphins9954's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    10,010
    vCash:
    6103
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    Sorry, but anyone who thinks this is a good idea obviously has never had to heat their home with wood heat. It's easily the most affordable way to heat a home, and if you cut and haul your own wood you get a workout (and for those of you clamoring for a healthier America wouldn't you want people working out?) Finally, if you own your own land, the responsible people cut the dead wood or trees struck by spring lightning etc, and they remove wood that would otherwise just fall over, possibly killing other healthy trees, and when you trim of the dead branches and pile them up, guess what? you create a home for smaller critters.

    So honestly, banning wood burning stoves because you think it's bad for the environment, and if your opinion is, well tough cookies, find a new source... you're clearly out of touch.
    Even here in Tampa it's been getting real cold for the last few years. Winters are getting longer and colder. We have a fireplace and I collect all the wood from my property throughout the year and store them in my shed. We use the fireplace all winter to save money by not using the heater. I don't see how it's any different than these stoves. If anything I'm helping the environment by using less electric.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -18
    Wildbill3's Avatar
    Misery Loves Company

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2001
    Posts:
    24,839
    vCash:
    1936
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I may be I guess. I would have to see the research and see what it is that the EPA sees as an issue. I may be guilty of just assuming the EPA has sound science behind this. I also might be guilty of seeing who the OP was and assuming this was just another conspiracy theory, the government wants to destroy your face, kind of thread.

    But assuming the science is sound, I don't see the issue with it. We just saw over 10,000 people die from a ridiculously powerful typhoon in the Philippines. This is exactly the kind of event climate change scientists have been warning us would happen. So, and again assuming the science is sound, I have no problems forcing people to change their habits now if it means that we leaves future generations with a better world to live in...
    in states where wood burning is common (such as Kentucky) to get your home insured you have to meet guildlines for safety and installation, before you can get your home even insured. Anyway my main point is, with anything, there is (IMO) a right way and a wrong way to do something. You shouldn't cut live trees, pick dead ones or lightning damaged ones, etc, etc. A responsible woodsman would always leave the woods in a better condition than what he found them.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -19
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2013
    Posts:
    59
    vCash:
    725
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    Even here in Tampa it's been getting real cold for the last few years. Winters are getting longer and colder. We have a fireplace and I collect all the wood from my property throughout the year and store them in my shed. We use the fireplace all winter to save money by not using the heater. I don't see how it's any different than these stoves. If anything I'm helping the environment by using less electric.
    Important distinction - fireplaces simply don't heat as effectively as wood stoves; not even close. And while I'm sure that, as a Tampon, you are cold in the winter, this is about cheap and personally sourced fuel and methods used principally in cold climates.

    ---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

    What's next, Dolphin free tuna?
    Quote Quote  

  10. -20
    Dolphins9954's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    10,010
    vCash:
    6103
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DullFins View Post
    Important distinction - fireplaces simply don't heat as effectively as wood stoves; not even close. And while I'm sure that, as a Tampon, you are cold in the winter, this is about cheap and personally sourced fuel and methods used principally in cold climates.

    ---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

    What's next, Dolphin free tuna?
    The comparison was the wood burning and my fireplace does do a good job. Like a douche your smell doesn't hide the stank.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. KOA = Wood
    By haoleboy in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-24-2010, 05:02 PM
  2. Olive oil waste as fuel for wood-burning stoves
    By Miamian in forum Science & Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2008, 03:03 AM
  3. Dolphins Logo - Wood Burning / Engraving
    By snook in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 01:09 AM
  4. 105.9 Wood Chipper
    By fin-ster in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 04:50 PM
  5. More wood for the fire.
    By NathanHunt in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 01:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •