Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 18 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is it acceptable to use N Word?

1. -1
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Why is it acceptable to use N Word?

I've been reading over the last few days at all the news, leaked stories, fan reactions etc

The poll on Finheaven has overwhelming support for Incognito

now this may be above just this incident...

why is it acceptable to use the word N...

Why is it acceptable under any circumstance for a white guy to use that term to a black guy?

is society that desensitised? Does the nfl deem this acceptable while other sections of society do not? Why still the support for Ritchie, even from black players? Why does he feel this acceptable?

just wanna gauge opinion.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In my opinion, it's not...EVER.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    I like boobs.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hmmm, I don't know.

Why don't you ask Jay Z, NWA, Tupac, Lil Wayne, or Master P. While you're doing that investigation, ask every coach in the entire league who allows it to play on loop over and over in a locker room. Finally, when you are done that assignment, I want a 1,500 word essay on the meaning of hypocrisy on my desk by Monday.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's not. No one is saying it is. But if ALL the black players in the locker room weren't bothered by HIS usage of it, and say unequivocally that he isn't a racist, who am I to argue?

I do think that the power of the word changes based on intent. I don't like the word, I cringe when I hear it, and I wish NOONE used it at all, but that's not reality. It has become a term of endearment for a large subculture. If those guys who have the right to be offended by its usage feel that he was using the word in a way that was acceptable to them, who am I to argue?

That is not to say that Martin shouldn't or couldn't have been offended. He likely was. But understanding the culture and dynamics of the locker room, it was his responsibility to make his offense known when it first happened so that it wouldn't happen again . Now if he said something, and it kept happening, the dynamic changes a bit. But that doesn't appear to be the case. In this situation, it appears that Martin not only didn't let his discomfort be known, but he played along with it, appeared to accept it, and even laughed about, seeming to support the argument that they all viewed its usage as something made in jest between "brothers".
    FIRE FAILBIN
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chester,Va.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's not acceptable in any context, or from any person. Only ignorant people believe it is.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christyman5 View Post
    I've been reading over the last few days at all the news, leaked stories, fan reactions etc

The poll on Finheaven has overwhelming support for Incognito

now this may be above just this incident...

why is it acceptable to use the word N...

Why is it acceptable under any circumstance for a white guy to use that term to a black guy?

is society that desensitised? Does the nfl deem this acceptable while other sections of society do not? Why still the support for Ritchie, even from black players? Why does he feel this acceptable?

just wanna gauge opinion.
    Simply it not acceptable for a Black/White/green guy to use the N word...If any black people come back saying they can use it, it's their word, my answer is, actually do some research where the word came from, and actually show some pride.

As for Richie using it, he was extremely wrong in using it, but he meant nothing by it, he was actually joking around with who he thought was a friend. So let's make sure nobody ever uses that word as a joke, as a greeting, or as an insult ever again by anyone, and GET OVER IT!!!
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    bon jon bovi

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why is any word ever unacceptable? This is the 21st century. We should be able to use any word we want without fear of old testament-style retribution.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If society wants to make it a word of power that can cost one a job or have other powerful consequences then it should be banned for everyone. EVERYONE.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Go DOLPHINS

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jupiter
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's only acceptable if you're black or an "honorary black man."
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    The Cheese Connoisseur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins HomerDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    It's not.

But when the majority of pop culture uses this type of language on not just music, but every day basis the word begins to lose "power" sort-of-say.

Calling someone a N- back in the day was of most insult. Now adays, its a form of greeting, or labeling your friends.

Can't tell you how many times I've heard "Whats up my N-", toss in the fact 99% of rap songs contain this type of word (some even compare themselves to slaves). Apperantly you need to be a "field N-" not a "house N-" means you are more hardcore.

But we can easily flip this and wonder why people say "Oh, he's fast for a white boy" or "He can play basketball for a white boy" etc etc......
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
    Quote Quote