Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Why is it acceptable to use N Word?

1. -161
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have no words for this thread. No words. If you want to know why the Tea Party and other far righties are handing this country over to the left, this thread should be exhibit 1A...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

2. -162
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like my free speech. With free speech comes the responsibility of knowing when you can and can't use words. ****** is no worse than calling someone a Nazi, Kike, whop or any other slander that is meant to degrade a person by race, color or creed. When a word is used in a slanderous way it doesn't matter who says it, it is just ignorant.

Now if I'm with my buddies and I use any word deemed socially unacceptable it doesn't matter one bit if the context of the comment isn't mean to be slanderous toward an unwilling person. I have no problem with anyone using a vulgar or racially charged word if it is done in light or zest and it is used in a non-racial way.

You start banning words and everything we as Americans ever fought for is gone, sorry but even a word such as ****** can never be limited from free speech or the whole principle of free speech is undermined. I know I might take heat for thinking like that but it is what it is and you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to a free society.

The real problem isn't the word ******, it is educating young people to realize that the transgressions of the past and present that are attached to the word are ignorant and unneeded in society, the word itself is harmless but the actions that suround the use are what matters.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

3. -163
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    That's right up there with the nonsense "racism is dead because we have a black president" argument. Also, it wasn't 100 years ago. It was 45 years ago that racial discrimination was technically outlawed, and far more years before it was finally wide spread. Do you know anybody over 45? Then you know people who were alive when there was rampant legal racial discrimination. No doubt black people started moving into the mansions immediately, amirite?

As for the Jews, the last time I "stood up for them" (neither black people nor Jews need me to stand up for them, but I digress), I guess that would be in this very thread a few pages back when I mocked someone for saying other formerly enslaved people have "gotten over it." As for what they went through, it was completely different. You are comparing genocide to enslavement. Not really the same things, though both incredibly reprehensible. Genocide comparisons would probably fit better if we were talking about how Europeans wiped out the majority of Native Americans, but I digress. Since it apparently happened over 50 years ago, I guess it's okay for you to start throwing up that Heil Hitler sign again, eh? Have at it.
    You should digress one more time....it makes it sound so much more intelligent and well thought out.
    Quote Quote  

4. -164
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I thought I can say whatever I want because the first amendment says I can....not that I use the word but If i want to I can.
    Quote Quote  

5. -165
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There are only 2 possible outcomes for the word imo:

A. It'll get bred out of existence (both literally and figuratively) and will only be used in historical context, kind of like the word negro is used today.

B. It'll continue on the path its on now which is it'll become more of a mainstream playful insult no matter your background and less of a racial hate word.

It might take hundreds of years but either way at some point the word will be as offensive as somebody taking "the lords" name in vain is today.
    Quote Quote  

6. -166
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawledge View Post
    I thought I can say whatever I want because the first amendment says I can....not that I use the word but If i want to I can.
    You can say the word all you want, but the first amendment doesn't spare you from the repercussions. This thread isn't about what's legally acceptable; it's directed towards what is socially acceptable. The question is why is it socially unacceptable for a white person to say the n word.
    Quote Quote  

7. -167
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I was a teacher in a school that was made up of about 90% black kids. By the end up the year, my students had a running joke/goal, in which they'd attempt to get me to say n***a. Had I said that word on my first week, month, or semester, even in jest, they'd probably have gone crazy. It's still the same word, but the meaning and context behind it were totally different. That is what white people must understand. Black people aren't offended by the word (it doesn't have any special powers). They're offended by the meaning behind the word. If a random white person says it, the implication to a black person is disrespect. That's why Incognito could use the word in the locker room, and no one even blinked. That's why I could have said it in my classroom, and my kids would have laughed. Because, both Incognito and I gained the respect of our black teammates/students.

It's like social interaction 101, words carry different meanings when said in different situations, or by different people. Context is everything.
    Quote Quote  

8. -168
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Debates like this make me snicker. You guys should come to work in a prison.
    Our shift turnout would make an HR rep's head blow up. At my last unit we had
    homosexuals, every minority other than Asian, and every religion under the sun.
    The summary brutality of the banter in turnout was indicitive of the work environment
    and it's all part of the game.

Thanks Shifty!

Quote Quote  

9. -169
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFinfan View Post
    I was a teacher in a school that was made up of about 90% black kids. By the end up the year, my students had a running joke/goal, in which they'd attempt to get me to say n***a. Had I said that word on my first week, month, or semester, even in jest, they'd probably have gone crazy. It's still the same word, but the meaning and context behind it were totally different. That is what white people must understand. Black people aren't offended by the word (it doesn't have any special powers). They're offended by the meaning behind the word. If a random white person says it, the implication to a black person is disrespect. That's why Incognito could use the word in the locker room, and no one even blinked. That's why I could have said it in my classroom, and my kids would have laughed. Because, both Incognito and I gained the respect of our black teammates/students.

It's like social interaction 101, words carry different meanings when said in different situations, or by different people. Context is everything.
    The three major races present in TDCJ are often, informally referred to as "******, White Boy, and Ese"
    They are used without predjudice, generally and are mentioned in conversations as reference points.

"Hey, where's A-202 Bottom at?"

"Sidewalk crew."

"That white boy?"

"Yeah."
    Quote Quote  

10. -170
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    The three major races present in TDCJ are often, informally referred to as "******, White Boy, and Ese"
    They are used without predjudice, generally and are mentioned in conversations as reference points.

"Hey, where's A-202 Bottom at?"

"Sidewalk crew."

"That white boy?"

"Yeah."
    The prison system should definitely be the standard by which our society lives.

Quote Quote