Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is it acceptable to use N Word?

1. -21
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Austin, Tx and Bali, Indo
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's a gray area. In my younger days (being 49) and white if a white person said it it was generally in a demeaning term. My family is biracial we have White, Black, Hispanic, and Asian all part of of immediate family. My nephew is black and I raised him for a period and he had (has) multiracial friends. The whites and Hispanics used the "N" word freely and still do like in my day we used the word "Dude". I don't know if in time it will ever be accepted, maybe as the next few generations grow up with it not being a demeaning word.

Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If black America wants the word eliminated from our language they have to stop using it themselves as Dolphin Devil alludes to. Every immigrant group that has come to this country have endured racial slurs and hate from the indigenous population. Why is black America so sensitive to the slurs thrown at them? It is something I have trouble understanding.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Da_Realest_Dolfan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miramar, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Could not have said it better myself. Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Hey, the day black people enslave white people and build a national economy on it and then "free" them, only to enact socially and economically-debilitating discriminatory laws against them, by all means, label it hypocrisy. African Americans have adopted a modified form of it to lessen it's impact, which is common with discriminatory terms amongst the targeted people. That doesn't give white people license to use it however they like.

To be honest, if a black man called Martin a half-******, it would be just as offensive because it's an insult directed squarely at his race as if it were a bad thing. People of mixed races often face discrimination from both sides.

Look, if Incognito was trashing his ability to play, intestinal fortitude, etc., fine. There is simply no excusing what he said. Nor the alleged extortion, but that's on more players than just Incognito.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnny63 View Post
    Why is any word ever unacceptable? This is the 21st century. We should be able to use any word we want without fear of old testament-style retribution.
    True, although when a white person says it, you have to admit there is a certain ignorance behind it. No it doesn't bring up raging emotions to where I feel like fighting someone . . . but why use a word that is derived from something so terrible to where old black mothers continued to use it to describe their own children when they were caught doing the wrong things?

Black people use the word as a form of acknowledgement when around other people of their race. It's not meant for a white person to say . . . but this is a free country and by all means people can do as they please.

With it being so prevalent in hip hop music, white people shouldn't feel afraid of the word . . . but when I see a white person around a bunch of black people or even a bunch of white people using the word freely, you can pretty much assure yourself your viewing a person of either lower intelligence or an extremely high rate of ignorance.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    The Cheese Connoisseur

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins HomerDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Hey, the day black people enslave white people and build a national economy on it and then "free" them, only to enact socially and economically-debilitating discriminatory laws against them, by all means, label it hypocrisy. African Americans have adopted a modified form of it to lessen it's impact, which is common with discriminatory terms amongst the targeted people. That doesn't give white people license to use it however they like.

To be honest, if a black man called Martin a half-******, it would be just as offensive because it's an insult directed squarely at his race as if it were a bad thing. People of mixed races often face discrimination from both sides.

Look, if Incognito was trashing his ability to play, intestinal fortitude, etc., fine. There is simply no excusing what he said. Nor the alleged extortion, but that's on more players than just Incognito.
    Please read a history book.

Slaves came in all races and religions. Long before the "American" slave trade began.

Notice how most other races, religions, and countries have goten past it? But for some reason America can't get past it.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pags77 View Post
    If black America wants the word eliminated from our language they have to stop using it themselves as Dolphin Devil alludes to. Every immigrant group that has come to this country have endured racial slurs and hate from the indigenous population. Why is black America so sensitive to the slurs thrown at them? It is something I have trouble understanding.
    Do you really have trouble understanding it? I don't know how anyone who has trouble understanding it could muster the mental fortitude to turn on a computer.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    its not acceptable overall because of its origin, but it is a cultural thing. I think its very important to understand from a cultural standpoint that its not used as a racial word. Equivalent to 'friend' in most cases. I think it becomes noticeable when someone from outside of the culture that uses it starts saying it..and again, as long as its used in the proper context, there shouldn't be a problem. The culture created the 'a' at the end but it came from a very negative and dark place long ago, with the 'er'. I use it from time to time, I'm black, i make hiphop music, i live the culture. But to me, its ignorant. Because if you know better do better. And I will eventually stop using it all together. But I don't use it as a racial word, more of a term for endearment. I have never had a white guy call me it but I've called a few of my white friends it and its almost like the didn't hear me…, I've even called girls it…if u get what I'm saying... I've also had some of my hispanic friends call me it as well..so if u feel funny saying it and or hearing it, u shouldn't be saying or hearing it lol…the same people who created it want it to go away and i understand…no one uses the ER at the end unless its racial…i believe it became a cultural thing because it reduced the sting of the negative root of the word. but its just like cussing a lot and saying uh uh, when you talk. just find a better word and move on.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MRojas4 View Post
    Please read a history book.

Slaves came in all races and religions. Long before the "American" slave trade began.

Notice how most other races, religions, and countries have goten past it? But for some reason America can't get past it.
    Yeah, for some reason . . .

Who let in the KKK?
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It has been used as a term of endearment for a long time and has been broken down by quite a few posters already. Using the word with an A at the end is endearment. Using er at the will get you in a fight.

Whether the usage of it is right or wrong is another matter. The fact that he used that word is really the least of what he did. It's the other filth that poured out of his mouth that is far more concerning.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    I like boobs.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks / No Thanks

So because of events that occurred over 150 years ago, that gives blacks the right today to spew the term any way they want? How is it still not derogatory? I don't care if it ends in -er or
    -a.

I'm not giving ANYONE a license to use it, and I certainly have not defended Richie Incognito at any point today. However, yes, today's society DOES have a nasty cloud of racial hypocrisy hanging over it, and I'm not afraid to call anyone or anything out anymore that epitomizes, propagates or enables that way of thinking.

What Richie Incognito said, when taken at face value in a vacuum, is horrible. However, when you look at the context of it, how can it be labeled anything but pure locker room stupidity among teammates? How do you explain the fact that all other Dolphins players, black and white, have defended Incognito, yet over in Philadelphia earlier, Riley Cooper's black teammates alienated him? Surely if Incognito said it with true racial malicious intent, the rest of his teammates would have responded similarly, no?

Quote Quote