Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 177

Thread: Why is it acceptable to use N Word?

  1. -31
    MRojas4's Avatar
    The Cheese Connoisseur

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2010
    Posts:
    3,838
    vCash:
    102
    Loc:
    Miami, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins HomerDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    Yeah, for some reason . . .

    Who let in the KKK?
    Black Panther Party? Neo Nazi Party? Jihadist? etc etc....?

    Every group has its own extremists.

    Yes, thank you.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
    Quote Quote  

  2. -32
    DolphinzD's Avatar
    Boom!! How you like that??

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2003
    Posts:
    2,782
    vCash:
    939
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
Gift received at 10-25-2013, 11:36 AM from Wildbill3
Message: Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Back when I was in college, every February there were signs and posters around campus celebrating Black History Month. One year, some idiot (or idiots) went around and defaced some of the signs with racist messages. Being that the college has a relatively small student population (around 2500), this became a pretty big deal and there ended up being a social forum about it where people were free to express their thoughts on the issue. The last guy to speak was a popular African American who was a DJ at the college radio station and had a rap/hip hop show (I think it was weekly). Anyway, he went on this rant about how every single time he hears the n word, he is offended, and the crowd gave him a standing ovation. I wouldn't have minded except for the fact that he claimed that hearing the word always offended him.....and yet he was a fan of music where that word was used freely. I understand that context is important, but it is just such a slippery slope for a word to sometimes be deemed "okay", and sometimes "not okay".
    Quote Quote  

  3. -33
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    21,183
    vCash:
    25293
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by MRojas4 View Post
    Please read a history book.

    Slaves came in all races and religions. Long before the "American" slave trade began.

    Notice how most other races, religions, and countries have goten past it? But for some reason America can't get past it.
    Maybe I should get a history degree? Oh ****, I have one hanging on my wall. Saves me the trip to the university!

    Please enlighten me as to how other races and religions have "gotten past it." Maybe you'll bring up the Jews? Did they stop celebrating Passover? Certainly they've stopped blabbering on about the Exodus, right?





    Quote Quote  

  4. -34
    nick1's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2004
    Posts:
    12,080
    vCash:
    526
    Thanks / No Thanks
    its not but this is a private conversation, if Martin used the same word with incognito and I have a feeling he did (incognito said he has texts from Martin as evidence) then whats the issue. these are friends calling each other a term showing love for each other as friends. that's like a black friend calling me a cracker which has happened, I have no issue with it. in the end its the interpretation of that word by that individual. its immature but hey who am I to judge your friendship. in a public setting its never ok but this was private between friends
    Quote Quote  

  5. -35
    napsndreds's Avatar
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2008
    Posts:
    3,689
    vCash:
    7598
    Loc:
    Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pags77 View Post
    If black America wants the word eliminated from our language they have to stop using it themselves as Dolphin Devil alludes to. Every immigrant group that has come to this country have endured racial slurs and hate from the indigenous population. Why is black America so sensitive to the slurs thrown at them? It is something I have trouble understanding.
    I believe in todays era, more white people are offended than black people when it comes to that word. For, i dunno how accurate I am when I say that theres probably more black people with white friends than the other way around. I believe in 2013 that black people may understand white people a little better than the white man understands the black man. And thats fine because it gets better with time. But I disagree that black america is sensitive at this point. I can't speak for all people, but i go by intent..you'll get the same response from me if u called me it with the ER with racial intent that u would if u called me something else i find offensive…I just think people need to lay off all these derogatory words and be a little less ignorant towards people. If you want to walk that fine line of using something derogatory then you have to assume that someone will provide the blacklash for it..whether white or black.. its not a black thing anymore its a social thing.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -36
    pags77's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    797
    vCash:
    3156
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    Do you really have trouble understanding it? I don't know how anyone who has trouble understanding it could muster the mental fortitude to turn on a computer.
    Yes I do have trouble understanding it, because from my perspective I experienced my grandparents coming over from Italy, working for pennies in sweat shops, living in roach infested apartments in the Bronx. They got absolutely no help from the government, ended up dying prematurely from in some heinous nursing homes. They were called guineas, greaseballs, whops, you name it. My parents generation did a little better, got a union job, made it to the middle class. I was able to obtain 2 college degrees, apparently barely enough to turn on a computer, and have continued to elevate. Were my relatives slaves? No they were free citizens, which does taint my perceptions. Here is the question I want to know. How many black Americans that currently reside in this country use this history as a crutch? There were absolute injustices done in the past, no one disputes that, but Jesus Christ already, the color of your skin does not restrict what you can achieve in this country, so lets move on.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -37
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    21,183
    vCash:
    25293
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by DolphinDevil28 View Post
    So because of events that occurred over 150 years ago, that gives blacks the right today to spew the term any way they want? How is it still not derogatory? I don't care if it ends in -er or
    -a.

    I'm not giving ANYONE a license to use it, and I certainly have not defended Richie Incognito at any point today. However, yes, today's society DOES have a nasty cloud of racial hypocrisy hanging over it, and I'm not afraid to call anyone or anything out anymore that epitomizes, propagates or enables that way of thinking.

    What Richie Incognito said, when taken at face value in a vacuum, is horrible. However, when you look at the context of it, how can it be labeled anything but pure locker room stupidity among teammates? How do you explain the fact that all other Dolphins players, black and white, have defended Incognito, yet over in Philadelphia earlier, Riley Cooper's black teammates alienated him? Surely if Incognito said it with true racial malicious intent, the rest of his teammates would have responded similarly, no?
    150 years ago? Did the Civil Rights Movement never happen? Maybe it was all a dream! Not to mention the discrimination that clearly still takes place today. Hell, just yesterday I was walking through Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn when I overheard an old white guy talking on his phone say, "And don't send me any of those goddamn ******s! I need qualified technicians, not jigaboos (sp? I dunno, I'm not a racist) from the projects." Definitely no racial undertones there. He was clearly just a fan of Wu Tang.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -38
    matt11390's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    2,736
    vCash:
    7141
    Loc:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    IMO the N word should be banned from use by ALL races. Its discrimination no matter who uses it.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -39
    MRojas4's Avatar
    The Cheese Connoisseur

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2010
    Posts:
    3,838
    vCash:
    102
    Loc:
    Miami, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins HomerDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Maybe I should get a history degree? Oh ****, I have one hanging on my wall. Saves me the trip to the university!

    Please enlighten me as to how other races and religions have "gotten past it." Maybe you'll bring up the Jews? Did they stop celebrating Passover? Certainly they've stopped blabbering on about the Exodus, right?
    Nothing wrong with celebrating and remembering your past.

    But when someone a white man slips out the N- word....well here comes the NAACP and Rev. Sharpton for the cameras.

    It seems more and more black community is preventing itself to move "forward".

    Once again, nothing wrong with remembering your past and celebrating your heritage and roots.

    On the flip, I guess I should be forever hatefull of Germans and Japanese because my ancestors fought against them for freedom?
    Quote Quote  

  10. -40
    Kdawg954's Avatar
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    14,804
    vCash:
    3880
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by DolphinzD View Post
    Back when I was in college, every February there were signs and posters around campus celebrating Black History Month. One year, some idiot (or idiots) went around and defaced some of the signs with racist messages. Being that the college has a relatively small student population (around 2500), this became a pretty big deal and there ended up being a social forum about it where people were free to express their thoughts on the issue. The last guy to speak was a popular African American who was a DJ at the college radio station and had a rap/hip hop show (I think it was weekly). Anyway, he went on this rant about how every single time he hears the n word, he is offended, and the crowd gave him a standing ovation. I wouldn't have minded except for the fact that he claimed that hearing the word always offended him.....and yet he was a fan of music where that word was used freely. I understand that context is important, but it is just such a slippery slope for a word to sometimes be deemed "okay", and sometimes "not okay".
    He probably was tired of hearing the word in a racist manner, considering people had gone around the campus using the "n" word in a context that gave off "racist" vibes. I have a hard time believing a rap/hip hop DJ being offended by the "n" word used as a term of endearment. I've been around hip hop music for 20 years, the "n" word is a part of the culture of hip hop. No it's not black people praising a word that at one point was the lowest word you could ever call somebody . . . its just life. Even myself, I tend to call the homies "bra (bro)" or "cuh (cuz) . . . but I'll still say "wassup ma n*gga". It's not even something I think about to be honest, its how I grew up and it doesn't bother me.

    The fact that people have the feel to analyze its meaning so often just sheds more light into the misunderstanding of the word.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Hey Mods, Is this acceptable?
    By 1stDownRBrown in forum Questions and Suggestions Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 01:36 PM
  2. New sig acceptable
    By spydertl79 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 12:24 AM
  3. When is it acceptable to use the "F" word.
    By PHANTASTIC 13 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 03:27 PM
  4. Could there be any acceptable excuse for......
    By Phins13 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-07-2003, 06:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •