Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Reall, Oprah?

1. -61
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chester,Va.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Superman logoFord LogoCam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Mack Brown hadn't exactly lit it up at North Carolina before he became the head coach at Texas, though. Red Combs has been around since the Great Flood so I'm sure he remembers.

Anyway, as Jack has been saying, it doesn't change the overall point of the thread. All Jack is trying to isolate is the natural affinity that comes with shared experience. I've become friends with people I met at work that I would never like if I had met them in another situation because we share a common experience. An experience outside the norm. We're going to have common gripes. Common triumphs. It brings us together.

Being a race other than white is like that. It binds you with a common experience, which is a very different thing that hating other people. Just because you have a tendency to empathize with a coworker doesn't mean you have a tendency to dislike other people (which is what racism is, to extend the analogy). I think what many if not most white people are ignorant of is the fact that being something other than white in America is an experience. They seem to assume people are just making it up because the very advantage of being white is that you don't have to think about being white.

Trying going to an ethnic Haitian restaurant sometime, somewhere that only ethnically Haitian (meaning, black) people go. One of my favorite restaurants near where I live is like that. I'm always the only white guy in there (I'm actually half hispanic but don't particularly look it). You feel a bit out of place, like you don't belong. It's natural to assume people don't like you. That you're invading their turf... even if it's not true and no one feels like that (I've always been treated very well by everyone there).

Now imagine feeling like that pretty much everywhere you go. It'd get to you, and you'd empathize with people who go through the same thing. That's what being something other than white is like
    You feel that way when you go there, but they always treat you very well? So, who's fault is it that you feel that way? Who's fault is it that you fabricate unnecessary false feelings in your own head? Think about it. Could the same thing be happening to people of other races? Could they often be fabricating unnecessary false feelings in their heads? Do you think those types of feelings could effect how a person acts toward those in the majority that they are around? I think it happens. There is no possible way of gauging the frequency of it, so I guess we can discuss that part of it, but it probably does happen.
    Quote Quote  

2. -62
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    You feel that way when you go there, but they always treat you very well? So, who's fault is it that you feel that way? Who's fault is it that you fabricate unnecessary false feelings in your own head? Think about it. Could the same thing be happening to people of other races? Could they often be fabricating unnecessary false feelings in their heads? Do you think those types of feelings could effect how a person acts toward those in the majority that they are around? I think it happens. There is no possible way of gauging the frequency of it, so I guess we can discuss that part of it, but it probably does happen.
    Try it sometime. Tell me how you feel. Being different is uncomfortable. Have you ever been out of the country? Have you ever been somewhere where you were in the distinct minority? By your reaction to my post I'm guessing not.

Yes, in this case it's all in my head. At least I think so. Nobody yells at me, but you never quite know.

People of other races in this country have a lot more reason to think that white people dislike them that I have to think that these people don't like me for some reason. There's a long history of racism, not to mention a long history of people who have no idea what their life experiences are like telling them that their feelings are wrong.

#freespesh
    Quote Quote  

3. -63
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhankey81701 View Post
    In regards to Charlie Strong, personally I think he is a great head coach and I wish that he would have remained at Louisville. It is always disappointing to me to see a great head coach get groomed at a smaller university and when he receives success jump ship for greener pastures. However, in regards to Texas I understand the disappointment this donor was expressing, the names that I heard thrown around via news paper and radio (they may not be overly accurate) were the likes of Gruden, Harbaugh, and even Les Miles. 2/3 of them I think would be better coaches then Charlie Strong (Gruden is incredibly overrated).

As for Mack Brown, he didn't exactly light it up but he did finish with comparable records to Charlie Strong in his last 2 years at UNC, 10-2 and 10-1, against in my opinion far superior competition then what Charlie Strong faced. But at the end of the day no matter where you coach you have to beat who you play and Charlie Strong proved that at Louisville.

In regards to the general theme of the thread that Jack was expressing I completely agree with it. People tend to vote for who they feel most comfortable with. You mentioned non-white people think like this which I disagree with, I think all ethnic groups including white people think like this. I think I mentioned it in these forums before but my family came from Ireland. My mother's family is from north Ireland (not Northern Ireland) and my fathers family is from southern Ireland near Cork. My grandparents grew up poor and Irish in Brooklyn, because of this if there is an Irishmen on the political ballot he will vote for him or her regardless of party or political stance simply because he remember the hardships he faced while growing up.

For my parents it was different, I remember specific circumstances when I was young we lived in a Boston suburb for a few months. During that time an election cycle passed, and my mother who didn't know any of the issues took me into the booth with her to vote and we went through the list of names and picked out the most Irish sounding names (Boston area lack of choices I know). But as the years passed now they still support Irish people but now as much as my grandparents do. My mother wishes that Hilary was president instead of Barack because she likes the Clintons. My father wants anyone but Barack to be President because he hates anything with a D next to their name.

Again for me its even different from my parents, an Irish name means less and less to me then it did my parents and for them my grandparents. In the most recent elections I voted for Cory Booker for senator. I generally vote for who I trust to get the job done more. Booker a Democrat was an easy decision over Lonegan (look up some of his quotes and you will see how easy a decision this was), despite the fact that claims of fraud and stealing money were made against Booker recently. Lonegan even though he is from partial Irish decent was not a viable candidate for me, however my grandparents would have voted for him simply because he was Irish.

I think the farther you are away from the initial immigration the less and less you identify with it as your primary issue. I still would like to see another Irish American become President, simply because I am an Irish American, but it isn't as important to me as JFK was to my grandparents.
    I think you're right, and the Irish experience is another good example of this. I used "race" as a shorthand, but really what I was talking about is anybody's who's noticeably different from the majority. The majority in this case being "white" people. There's a whole other discussion of what counts as white. There's a famous case from the early 20th century where people tried to classify Finnish people as "Asian" or otherwise non-white to prevent them from voting or something.

Looking different is just an obvious way of being different. But really it's being different that isolates you.
    Quote Quote  

4. -64
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chester,Va.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Superman logoFord LogoCam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Try it sometime. Tell me how you feel. Being different is uncomfortable. Have you ever been out of the country? Have you ever been somewhere where you were in the distinct minority? By your reaction to my post I'm guessing not.

Yes, in this case it's all in my head. At least I think so. Nobody yells at me, but you never quite know.

People of other races in this country have a lot more reason to think that white people dislike them that I have to think that these people don't like me for some reason. There's a long history of racism, not to mention a long history of people who have no idea what their life experiences are like telling them that their feelings are wrong.
    My problem is this....no one knows what anyone's life experiences are like but their own. I was treated wrong for being a white guy today (long story). I've been hearing that this lady at my work is racist, but I always greet her with a smile and treat her with respect. As I will do again tomorrow and every other day I work.

I have been to places where I was the distinct minority. In fact, I do it every day at my work. All of my bosses and 95 percent of my coworkers are black. A majority of the inmates are black as well. (That is significant because a white male automatically is treated differently by inmates in a corrections environment due to stereotypes that white men have. Yep, we are stereotyped too.) .....and I LOVE my job. I don't feel out of place at all, but it is due to my perception of things. I have been treated differently at times. No one owes me a damned thing.

But there are a few things that I do know that most people in this ignorant world don't seem to understand, a few things that seems to escape most people.......I control my happiness. Nobody decides for me whether or not I will have a good day, but me. My perception of each and every life experience creates my reality, and my successes or failures are all of my own doing. (As long as I continue to learn from every experience, there really are no failures.)

I just wish everyone else could take the same approach. No excuses. My feeling whether good or bad are my fault. I can't blame anyone else for them.
    Quote Quote