Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reall, Oprah?

1. -21
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    There's a difference between identity politics and racism. I'll give you an example. My mother is a Cuban immigrant, and I know she'd love to see Marco Rubio become president one day. She likes his politics in any case, but beyond that it would show how far Cubans have risen in American society and would make her feel proud of her heritage and culture. That doesn't make her racist against white people or black people or any kind of people. Or do you think it does?
    That is the same mindset that helped get Obama elected. A bigger turnout by black voters and 99% of them voted for Obama. If Rubio (who I appreciate, except for his stance on immigration) runs for president, he can count on the vast majority of Cubans to vote for him. Human nature I guess. "Making history" is more important sometimes.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    My point exactly.

I wonder if Rachel Jeantel would have received a full ride to college from Tom Joyner had she been a white friend of Trayvon Martin.
    She probably needs to finish middle school and high school first..
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    That is the same mindset that helped get Obama elected. A bigger turnout by black voters and 99% of them voted for Obama. If Rubio (who I appreciate, except for his stance on immigration) runs for president, he can count on the vast majority of Cubans to vote for him. Human nature I guess. "Making history" is more important sometimes.[COLOR="Silver"]
    It is human nature to support, defend and pull for people who you identify with whether its race, religion, nationality, size, school you went to or whatever. Take sports for example. If Pacquio ever fought Mayweather there would totally be a racial divide as to who people are rooting for. Asian people root for Lin simply because hes asian. A Mexican, all things being equal, will root for a Mexican athlete. Most whites were rooting for Cooney to beat Holmes simply because he was white. Are all these examples of people being racist?

In regards to black people voting for Obama simply because he is black, I have a hard time believing he would be received the same way in the black community if he had a (R) next to his name. They arent shy about ostracizing fellow blacks who dont toe the democratic line
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post
    It is human nature to support, defend and pull for people who you identify with whether its race, religion, nationality, size, school you went to or whatever. Take sports for example. If Pacquio ever fought Mayweather there would totally be a racial divide as to who people are rooting for. Asian people root for Lin simply because hes asian. A Mexican, all things being equal, will root for a Mexican athlete. Most whites were rooting for Cooney to beat Holmes simply because he was white. Are all these examples of people being racist?

In regards to black people voting for Obama simply because he is black, I have a hard time believing he would be received the same way in the black community if he had a (R) next to his name. They arent shy about ostracizing fellow blacks who dont toe the democratic line
    Exactly. Thank you.

People identify with people who are like them. Ever wonder why the main characters in action movies are almost always men? It's because guys like action movies, and guys find it easier to identify to male characters. That's why a movie like Sucker Punch is so rare, and part of the reason it bombed. Sigourney Weaver's ability to anchor the Alien series was revolutionary, and still hasn't been repeated on that level of success. Kate Beckinsale and the Underworld series is another -- less successful -- example. Exceptions that prove the rule.

This isn't misogyny. Nor is it male hatred that makes the main characters in chick flicks tend to be women.

Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chester,Va.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So Walrus/Harry, if Romney were President right now because 95% of white people identified with him, would it be racist? I'm curious as to your take on that scenario.

Would you defend the same thought process? I tend to think you wouldn't.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So Walrus/Harry, if Romney were President right now because 95% of white people identified with him, would it be racist? I'm curious as to your take on that scenario.

Would you defend the same thought process? I tend to think you wouldn't.
    I don't think it's racist for a white person to identify with and vote for a white person. I would say it's racist if you don't vote for someone because they're black.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chester,Va.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    But when there is only two real choices (realistically, Obama or Romney were the only candidates likely to win), one is white and one is black, voting because you identify (even in part because of color) would be a strike against the other person (because of his or her color). That is discriminating based on race, which is something we are not supposed to do in this country. Imagine if a company passed you up because of your color. Sadly, I believe that may have happened to me once (I was trying to get promoted to a job that I had been doing for 5 months prior to interviewing for the job), but I have no proof of it.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    But when there is only two real choices (realistically, Obama or Romney were the only candidates likely to win), one is white and one is black, voting because you identify (even in part because of color) would be a strike against the other person (because of his or her color). That is discriminating based on race, which is something we are not supposed to do in this country. Imagine if a company passed you up because of your color. Sadly, I believe that may have happened to me once (I was trying to get promoted to a job that I had been doing for 5 months prior to interviewing for the job), but I have no proof of it.
    I don't think many black people voted for Obama just because he was black. It may have motivated more black people to actually vote than in previous elections. If Herman Cain had won the Republican primary, I'm sure the black vote would have been almost exactly the same.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Like me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why does anyone care what Okrah says?
    She is an enertainer
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    Those words are pretty clear. She is saying many of the ​cases of increased disrespect for the office is because he's black. Agree or disagree, it's hardly what the OP or the article is making it out to be.
    There is far less lack of respect for the office now than there was during the Regan or Bush years.
    I know. I have lived during them all, and what Obama is facing is practically nil in terms of lack of
    respect.

Thanks Shifty!

Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    Oprah worships money. She sold her soul long ago. If there is a way for her to profit by cleverly dividing races, she will try to capitalize.
    Oprah is a pure capitalist but she clearly doesn't care how her money comes from black or white. Now if you want a person that purely profits on race that would be Rush Limbaugh or Jessie Jackson.
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote