Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 64

Thread: Reall, Oprah?

  1. -31
    Harry_Bagpipe's Avatar
    Archibald Meatpants

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,882
    vCash:
    6312
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFinfan View Post
    I don't think it's racist for a white person to identify with and vote for a white person. I would say it's racist if you don't vote for someone because they're black.
    People are going to support people who they identify with. Let's say a midget made the final table of the World Series of poker, I didn't use an athletic event cause I wanted to make the story sound credible. Now let's say this midget, let's call him Paul, was down to the last nine players. I fully believe that the demographic who would have the highest percentage of support for Paul, would be other midgets. I would even gather to say that over 95% of midgets would support Paul. Would other people support Paul? I'm sure. They might think he looks cute in his little tuxedo or simply dislike the other players but the percentage would obviously be lower than the percentage of midgets supporting Paul.

    Now does this make all these midgets racist against the normal races? No. They are just supporting what they identify with, that being the midget. Anyhoo, I think I've talked long enough about midgets and given the midget more attention than they deserve but I think I've made my point


    Spoiler 
    Quote Quote  

  2. -32
    JackFinfan's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2010
    Posts:
    473
    vCash:
    2477
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post
    People are going to support people who they identify with. Let's say a midget made the final table of the World Series of poker, I didn't use an athletic event cause I wanted to make the story sound credible. Now let's say this midget, let's call him Paul, was down to the last nine players. I fully believe that the demographic who would have the highest percentage of support for Paul, would be other midgets. I would even gather to say that over 95% of midgets would support Paul. Would other people support Paul? I'm sure. They might think he looks cute in his little tuxedo or simply dislike the other players but the percentage would obviously be lower than the percentage of midgets supporting Paul.

    Now does this make all these midgets racist against the normal races? No. They are just supporting what they identify with, that being the midget. Anyhoo, I think I've talked long enough about midgets and given the midget more attention than they deserve but I think I've made my point


    Spoiler 
    Exactly. Identifiying with a group is not racist. A black person voting for a black person because they're black isn't a case of reverse racism. This argument is just created to make racists feel alright about not voting for a black person. It's the "see the other side is doing the same thing but in reverse, so I'm not really a bad person" logic.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -33
    GoonBoss's Avatar
    Finheaven Templar

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    19,063
    vCash:
    12197
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I agree with her, actually. I used to think there was nothing sillier than people finding discrimination or racism in the tiniest, most insignificant things. I say this as a mixed race person, by the way. My mother is a Cuban immigrant (if you don't consider that mixed race, that's okay. Wouldn't blame you). Anyway it didn't take me long to find something much sillier, and that's the group of people who think racism is some relic of the past. Something far in their rear view mirror.

    My goodness. I can't imagine the drugs it would take for me so ignorant of the world as to feel this way. As I've told rob, I stopped smoking pot many years ago. But even when I smoked it... it's not like it made me blind. Stupid, perhaps. I often felt stupid. But never that stupid, dig?
    If you'd really like to see "Racism" or "Discrimination" all you have to do is step outside of the USA.
    Then you get a pretty big eyefull of it.


    Quote Quote  

  4. -34
    GoonBoss's Avatar
    Finheaven Templar

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    19,063
    vCash:
    12197
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFinfan View Post
    Exactly. Identifiying with a group is not racist. A black person voting for a black person because they're black isn't a case of reverse racism. This argument is just created to make racists feel alright about not voting for a black person. It's the "see the other side is doing the same thing but in reverse, so I'm not really a bad person" logic.
    Is it OK to not vote for a black person if you don't thing they are the best person for the job?

    Is it OK for white people to vote for only white people because he is white?

    And vice versa........Or are we just saying that one cannot be racist because one isn't white?
    Quote Quote  

  5. -35
    GoonBoss's Avatar
    Finheaven Templar

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    19,063
    vCash:
    12197
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    .
    Quote Quote  

  6. -36
    Scrap's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2001
    Posts:
    8,915
    vCash:
    2117
    Loc:
    Chester,Va.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFinfan View Post
    Exactly. Identifiying with a group is not racist. A black person voting for a black person because they're black isn't a case of reverse racism. This argument is just created to make racists feel alright about not voting for a black person. It's the "see the other side is doing the same thing but in reverse, so I'm not really a bad person" logic.
    That's not a fair accusation, Jack. Your theory, if applied fairly, would also state that those voting for Obama because (for the sake of this thread's assumption) "they identify with his color" also did not vote for Romney because they didn't identify with him because of his color. But you intentionally avoided that idea. Your statement assumes it's okay to vote for someone's color only if they are not white, which is racist in and of itself. Color should not be an issue in ANY responsible voting decision. Also, I am so sick of society's adoption of the ignorant term "reverse-racism". Does actual "racism" only exist when it happens to a minority? Is reverse racism really something different? No. So let's call it what it really is, "racism". It is what it is. Do not weaken it be altering the name of it.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -37
    MAYHEM's Avatar
    Like me

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2011
    Posts:
    560
    vCash:
    2609
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Voting your skin color is racism .
    No matter what the color is .
    Quote Quote  

  8. -38
    JackFinfan's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2010
    Posts:
    473
    vCash:
    2477
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    Is it OK to not vote for a black person if you don't thing they are the best person for the job?

    Is it OK for white people to vote for only white people because he is white?

    And vice versa........Or are we just saying that one cannot be racist because one isn't white?
    If they aren't the best person for the job, then you're judging based on credentials, which obviously isn't racist. I don't think anyone has stated that all Republicans are racist because they didn't vote for a black guy. You can count me in this group too, because I didn't vote for Obama in his 2nd term due to his broken promises and poor performance.

    As for your 2nd question, I think it's a bit more complicated. I think we have to understand that a minority identifying with his/her race is much different than a white person. I can't speak for all white people, but since 75% of the people I come in contact with everyday are white, I don't identify with such a broad category as white. I tend to delve deeper, and I assume many white people do the same.

    For example, I'm 29 and completely bald on the top of my head, just like my father, I went bald early. I identify with fellow bald men, because I know we both have shared experiences. I identify even more with a guy who went bad early in his life. Once again, I just know that the individual had many of the same feelings, struggles, dilemmas, emotions, etc. that I had to deal with. Now when I had a full head of hair, I never identified with another individual with a full head of hair. Even though we both had a common trait, there was no common experience. Just having hair isn't an identifiable trait. But, certain characteristics among full haired individuals can be identifiable, like people who both have hair that is hard to keep down (nappy, extremely curly, etc.).

    That's how I feel about the white vice versa scenario you presented. Black people, because of their minority status and unique history, can identify with one another. They have shared experiences... they have faced similar obstacles. White people can't identify with white people solely based on being white (at least not in the USA). It's just too broad. It has to go another level down. White southerner, white city dweller, white only child, white with a big family.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -39
    JackFinfan's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2010
    Posts:
    473
    vCash:
    2477
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    That's not a fair accusation, Jack. Your theory, if applied fairly, would also state that those voting for Obama because (for the sake of this thread's assumption) "they identify with his color" also did not vote for Romney because they didn't identify with him because of his color. But you intentionally avoided that idea. Your statement assumes it's okay to vote for someone's color only if they are not white, which is racist in and of itself. Color should not be an issue in ANY responsible voting decision. Also, I am so sick of society's adoption of the ignorant term "reverse-racism". Does actual "racism" only exist when it happens to a minority? Is reverse racism really something different? No. So let's call it what it really is, "racism". It is what it is. Do not weaken it be altering the name of it.
    Let's get this straight. I'm not saying that voting for any identifiable physcial trait is necessarily a responsbile voting decision. My only argument is that it's not racist.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -40
    Scrap's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2001
    Posts:
    8,915
    vCash:
    2117
    Loc:
    Chester,Va.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFinfan View Post
    Let's get this straight. I'm not saying that voting for any identifiable physcial trait is necessarily a responsbile voting decision. My only argument is that it's not racist.
    So let me get this right, when you said this...
    This argument is just created to make racists feel alright about not voting for a black person.
    ... you weren't implying that a white person voting for a white person because he or she identifies with a person who is white (based on his or her color) is not racist?



    I disagree with the idea of identifying based on color not being racist.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Oprah Just Says No......to Palin
    By phinfan3411 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-06-2008, 02:31 PM
  2. Rosie vs. Oprah
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-23-2007, 12:01 AM
  3. Oprah For President Anyone?
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-19-2006, 04:23 PM
  4. Vote for Oprah ?
    By Scrap in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-25-2006, 03:42 PM
  5. Oprah Says She and Friend Not Gay
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-17-2006, 10:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •