So, I've recently gone back to school to study engineering and I was thinking to myself (while calculating voltage gain in a common-emitter transistor), "I wonder how much time I've wasted since year-2000 supporting the dolphins." Out comes the calculator:
- 15 games on TV, 1 at the stadium figures to about 68 man-hours per regular season
- Figure 2 hours of forum/espn/news ranting/following per week amounts to about 32 man-hours per regular season
- Following draft, camp, and pre-season let's say we dump about another 12 man-hours per season (conservatively, for me)
- In thirteen seasons this will amount to approximately 1456 man-hours lost following this team; or 60 complete days (2-months). Considering the typical day is avg. 8hrs per sleep/work/play this equates to about 182 days lost in any of those categories... or half a year
- Allowing for today's skilled-labor hourly rate (if freelancing) of about $60/hour, this costs the regular blue-collar individual $87360 in total for 13 seasons. At the entry-level wage-slave rate of $12/hour it equates to only $17472. Either way, it's a year's salary for most working-class folk.
- Now consider time with the family (wife, kids, etc.). One could foster a child in 2000 and by the time the kid is in high-school, you'd have lost half a year's development of your kid... akin to a tour in Afghanistan. If you consider Sunday as a loss entirely (due to time management and so forth), this figure jumps to 234 days (including pre-season, etc.)
- Let's go further and pretend you're a post-secondary student. Figure you need about 15 hrs./week minimum (not including classtime) to keep pace with a full-time courseload. This equates to about 97 weeks of study time lost... or, 6 semesters worth of school given a 16-week semester. e.g. You could be a senior in college given the time lost (yup, instead of supporting the 'phins you could've essentially had a bachelor's degree)
I love the phins and all, but sometimes I seriously question the use of my time when I see folk enjoying the day out on the boat, with friends, catching up with work, or generally relaxing (and not stressing over the phins) whilst I suffer through a season. I will always support the team, but I'm at the point I can't allocate this kind of time anymore given how fleeting of an existence we humans lead. Kinda not worth it. Especially when you consider the stress levels and general foul moods generated week after week, season after season. Note: I didn't even calculate loss of production or health due to stress level nor overall effect on a marriage/relationship nor most social parameters in general.