Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: QB Development

1. -21
    The truth is out there.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I hesitate to simply put everything at the feet of Mike Sherman. Friends I know who are fans of Green Bay and aTm warned me as soon as we hired him. They have pretty much been dead on in their predictions of what I would complain about. But at the same time, I realize that the offensive coordinator still must work with the personnel he has been given, and I do not think the offensive unit is good overall.

Now, I do absolutely believe he needs a QB coach with a good track record and real experience. I do not understand why you would pick a 'raw' quarterback #8 overall, knowing that he needs real development, and then bring in a young guy with no track record of coaching QBs to try to work with him.

HOWEVER, Ryan Tannehill is showing growth and improvement in his game. We don't know whether he is showing that growth and improvement as a result of his own talent and ability to learn on the job, or as a result of good coaching. We don't know if he could be improving faster with better coaching or if he just needs time to work at it. In other words, I got no clue.

Personally, and as much as it sucks to say it, I think he just needs time. In order to master any skill, it just takes time. In high school, he was in a very run heavy offense in which he didn't throw the ball much, and when he did it was often bootleg type of stuff. In college, he spent two years playing receiver. Unlike Andrew Luck, he didn't have the benefit of being coached from the time he was in grade school by an NFL quarterback. The big question here is how much time this team is willing to give him. I think he at least gets year three.
    God bless, I'll hang up and listen.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He needs a new offensive mind to help bring out his full potential. Sherman is too stingy and stuck in his ways. We need some ingenuity.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J. David Wannyheimer View Post
    I do not understand why you would pick a 'raw' quarterback #8 overall, knowing that he needs real development, and then bring in a young guy with no track record of coaching QBs to try to work with him.
    This to me is so crucial. Ultimately it will be down to RT on delivering on his development, however, I do believe he would be further along with a more experienced coach.

I've said it on other threads, the biggest things I see right now are
    1. needs to seriously work on his footwork, it's just not good enough at this level
    2. needs to be more aware of defences and his route progressions - know where to go with the ball and... 'quicker' - development of his footwork will help with this.
    3. and this is one I haven't mentioned before, but I would like to see him get more rotation in his throwing motion, at times he can appear to push the ball rather than really deliver it.
    4. I'd like to see a greater sense of urgency not only in taking off and running but also in passing [see point 2], sometimes he's too static and slow - he made some good and timely choices to take off and run yesterday

I think we've been spoilt with the likes of Luck etc. in recent years and how quickly they have developed. With how RT is going now, is probably more reminiscent of typical QB development from years ago.

He's doing a decent to good job with what he has to work with certain key stats being up slightly over last year like TD's and Completion % but I would have liked to have seen a greater reduction in interceptions - this is where strong coaching can help, with either fundamentals/reading defences/knowing where to go with the ball, but also helping with game planning and play calling and putting him in good spots.

With a better OL I would expect a whole lot more from him - can he deliver? that's the ultimate question.
    Pat
    Offensive Coordinator
    www.londonblitz.com
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If QB is the most important position in the game, how do you not get the best position coach with NFL expirence? The offensive coordinators son in law doesn't work for me.
    Mike Sherman won a Super Bowl with Brett Farve...i am reminded of Gary Steven chicken salad line.....We need players we have some talent but we need more. If Philbin stays let him tweak his staff but the GM must go.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calabasas, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by namor View Post
    yes or no...is sherman and the son-in-law good nfl qb coaches?
    hell no.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think the coaches have done a great job with him and he is doing well. He needs better weapons.

He still needs to do a better job with protections, blitzes, sliding in pocket, zone reads--that takes experience.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ProStyle View Post
    I think the coaches have done a great job with him and he is doing well. He needs better weapons.

He still needs to do a better job with protections, blitzes, sliding in pocket, zone reads--that takes experience.
    or maybe a QB coach with experience,that can say "Hey,Ryan,this is what your doing wrong" not "hey,Ryan,will you friend me on Facebook?"
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It may be very RaRa of me to say this considering he really has no experience, but I would love to see Penny given the job of QB Coach.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i think his footwork and the speed of his feet needs work...his athleticism doesn't always show with his footwork and his lateral movements and shuffle in the pocket...

i used to think that losing sherman might set tannehill back in his development but i dont think that anymore...we could be doing more than we are to help the qb...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    PowerHungryMo'fo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Changing OC and QB coaches is akin MLB teams having a separate pitching coach at each level, just gotta do it in order to succeed.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote