Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 71

Thread: Eric Ebron Declares for the Draft

  1. -51
    TedSlimmJr's Avatar
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    8,861
    vCash:
    2372
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Keep in mind that Ebron is such a tremendous athlete, that his practice time was split as a sophomore because he played both sides of the ball. The coaches had him playing DE on defense to rush the passer in addition to playing tight end. There's no way to know this without watching his sophomore tape. This is the first year he's really been able to focus on playing the TE position. He has exceptional upside to tap into once he's practicing his craft everyday for 8 hours a day.... as opposed to the 20 hours per week that college kids are allowed to practice. The best tight ends in the NFL were typically unproductive, inexperienced, injured, and extremely flawed coming out of college. But they were athletic mismatches.

    The transition among the TE position from college to the NFL is all about upside. There's very little on film of college TE's nowdays that you can project to the next level. Athletic upside and work ethic are the two most important qualities that I'd look for in a tight end now.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -52
    Twitches Brew's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2010
    Posts:
    1,162
    vCash:
    1213
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Keep in mind that Ebron is such a tremendous athlete, that his practice time was split as a sophomore because he played both sides of the ball. The coaches had him playing DE on defense to rush the passer in addition to playing tight end. There's no way to know this without watching his sophomore tape. This is the first year he's really been able to focus on playing the TE position. He has exceptional upside to tap into once he's practicing his craft everyday for 8 hours a day.... as opposed to the 20 hours per week that college kids are allowed to practice. The best tight ends in the NFL were typically unproductive, inexperienced, injured, and extremely flawed coming out of college. But they were athletic mismatches.

    The transition among the TE position from college to the NFL is all about upside. There's very little on film of college TE's nowdays that you can project to the next level. Athletic upside and work ethic are the two most important qualities that I'd look for in a tight end now.
    I hear you on how raw he is, and definitely on how tough it is to get an idea of a college TE nowadays with how offenses play. But Ebron having spent time at DE should, if anything, help out his issue of playing and blocking with more strength. He just doesn't exert his physical presence much for a TE, imo.

    He's a finesse guy - albeit a big finesse guy - playing a position that demands some physicality. Our roster needs a guy with some meanness in the blocking game, imo, and Ebron looks like a pretty bad/awful blocker. Do you think Ebron is a much different player from Charles Clay?
    Quote Quote  

  3. -53
    Rookie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2008
    Posts:
    1,685
    vCash:
    3762
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitches Brew View Post
    I hear you on how raw he is, and definitely on how tough it is to get an idea of a college TE nowadays with how offenses play. But Ebron having spent time at DE should, if anything, help out his issue of playing and blocking with more strength. He just doesn't exert his physical presence much for a TE, imo.

    He's a finesse guy - albeit a big finesse guy - playing a position that demands some physicality. Our roster needs a guy with some meanness in the blocking game, imo, and Ebron looks like a pretty bad/awful blocker. Do you think Ebron is a much different player from Charles Clay?
    Miami doesn't need a blocking TE. Miami needs a seam threat TE. Ebron is every bit of a seam threat TE.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -54
    TedSlimmJr's Avatar
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    8,861
    vCash:
    2372
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitches Brew View Post
    I hear you on how raw he is, and definitely on how tough it is to get an idea of a college TE nowadays with how offenses play. But Ebron having spent time at DE should, if anything, help out his issue of playing and blocking with more strength. He just doesn't exert his physical presence much for a TE, imo.

    He's a finesse guy - albeit a big finesse guy - playing a position that demands some physicality. Our roster needs a guy with some meanness in the blocking game, imo, and Ebron looks like a pretty bad/awful blocker. Do you think Ebron is a much different player from Charles Clay?

    Blocking comes down to technique. It's about learning leverage and positioning with your feet. It's not about strength for a tight end...or size. Furthermore, his time at DE was spent trying to learn how to rush the passer with a pure speed rush... nothing in terms of leverage/strength.

    Secondly, Ebron is an entirely different caliber of athlete than Charles Clay. Clay was a Fullback/H-Back hybrid type player for Tulsa. Ebron is a rocked-up wide receiver. A WR/TE hybrid. Different levels of athleticism and different skillsets.

    Austin Seferian-Jenkins is 6'6", 275 pounds and blocks like he's having a pillow fight. Similar to Joe Fauria in last year's draft. However, it's the things that Fauria could do as a pass catcher and mismatch in the redzone that allowed him to make Detroit's roster as a UDFA... and produce 7 TD's as a rookie. There's absolutely no excuse why Fauria should have went undrafted while teams were drafting TE's like D.C. Jefferson (blocker) and Michael Williams (blocker).

    Blocking is an aspect that is coached up and developed. You can't coach what kids like Eric Ebron have in terms of athleticism and receiving skill.

    I like a good blocking TE that's also an effective pass receiver... they're just an extremely rare find now coming out of college.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -55
    finfan54's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2002
    Posts:
    23,951
    vCash:
    11717
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Blocking comes down to technique. It's about learning leverage and positioning with your feet. It's not about strength for a tight end...or size. Furthermore, his time at DE was spent trying to learn how to rush the passer with a pure speed rush... nothing in terms of leverage/strength.

    Secondly, Ebron is an entirely different caliber of athlete than Charles Clay. Clay was a Fullback/H-Back hybrid type player for Tulsa. Ebron is a rocked-up wide receiver. A WR/TE hybrid. Different levels of athleticism and different skillsets.

    Austin Seferian-Jenkins is 6'6", 275 pounds and blocks like he's having a pillow fight. Similar to Joe Fauria in last year's draft. However, it's the things that Fauria could do as a pass catcher and mismatch in the redzone that allowed him to make Detroit's roster as a UDFA... and produce 7 TD's as a rookie. There's absolutely no excuse why Fauria should have went undrafted while teams were drafting TE's like D.C. Jefferson (blocker) and Michael Williams (blocker).

    Blocking is an aspect that is coached up and developed. You can't coach what kids like Eric Ebron have in terms of athleticism and receiving skill.

    I like a good blocking TE that's also an effective pass receiver... they're just an extremely rare find now coming out of college.
    Im in love with this kids size (Sefarian-Jenkins, god i am going to hate writing that name all day) and thinking more of a guy with big catch radius (am I wrong about that?) and bigger red zone threat as opposed to seam threat where Ebron looks more like he would be split out more.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -56
    finfan54's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2002
    Posts:
    23,951
    vCash:
    11717
    Thanks / No Thanks
    And Egnew is certain proof of coaching up blocking.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -57
    finfan54's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2002
    Posts:
    23,951
    vCash:
    11717
    Thanks / No Thanks
    http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-f...es_443819.html

    Another big boy....sleeper later round?
    Quote Quote  

  8. -58
    TedSlimmJr's Avatar
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    8,861
    vCash:
    2372
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-f...es_443819.html

    Another big boy....sleeper later round?

    It's possible that he's a late round sleeper now since he hasn't played a down all season after being ruled ineligible due to grades. However, he's far from an unknown commodity. I've been watching him his entire career at ECU and took note early of his immense size, soft hands, and athleticism. I actually had him in Tier 1 of my Senior tight end prospects heading into the season. Huge target with legitimate NFL potential.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -59
    Valandui's Avatar
    The Fluke

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2008
    Posts:
    9,078
    vCash:
    8494
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd be cool with it, but I feel like going after Greg Olsen in FA could be an option if we needed a TE and we could use the pick on a LB.

    Valandui's Weekly Music Video

    Matthew Santos: Shadows in a Shoebox
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaV9yPc_EYw
    Quote Quote  

  10. -60
    Hayden Fox's Avatar
    At the end of the day...

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2009
    Posts:
    19,379
    vCash:
    33313
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    What a stud. No way he is there at 19.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Eric Ebron
    By SCall13 in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 11:44 PM
  2. Benn declares for the draft
    By SR 7 in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-21-2009, 01:02 AM
  3. Ted Ginn declares for draft
    By Pennington's Rocket Arm in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-18-2007, 11:20 PM
  4. Parrish declares for draft
    By CrunchTime in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 01:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •