Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: You're the GM in 2014: How do you fix this team?

1. -31
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    North Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    How would you approach this offseason as a GM: Trades? Draft. Free Agency. How do you fix this team?

(for the purposes of this, pretend Philbin/Sherman/Coyle return)
    Sorry, if this coaching staff returns you don't fix it in 2014.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Reading Is Fundamental

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Sign a McDonalds franchise and eat all the chicken mcnuggets i want.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Broward County, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins LogoDolphin
    The most important thing to be corrected in 2014 is the running game. It's been lackluster for years, and this year it's completely collapsed. Whoever is responsible for THAT, should be fired.

If I'm the GM, I fire Sherman, his relative the QB coach, and Turner. If Philbin balks at that and doesn't see the mistakes and feels Sherman did everything exactly as he'd have done, then he goes too.

As far as the QB, it's true QB's can be game changers, but they don't grow on trees. So take that one day at a time. But it was plain to me, that on Sunday Newton won the game for his team and Tannehill didn't. It was Cam Newton posing with pictures with Shula, not Ryan. It was Newton dancing after a TD, not Ryan. It was Newton with a "W" on the board, not Ryan. If that didn't leave a bitter taste in your mouth, then you're in a coma.

Quote Quote  

4. -34
    What Sherman aspires to be

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Pre-Draft
    1 - make LT Branden Albert the top priority
    2 - resign Paul Soliai, our run defense is not the same without him & the Randy Starks type DT is much easier to replace
    3 - resign CB Brent Grimes
    4 - release OT Jonathan Martin; get rid of a poor offensive lineman & distraction
    5 - resign FS Chris Clemons
    6 - notify CBs Jamar Taylor & Will Davis that they are on notice & expected to beat out Carroll for the nickel spot & push Patterson for a starting spot
    7 - reside to the fact you have to resign G John Jerry. There aren't any free agent guards worth anything other than Jon Asamoah & Matt Slausen which aren't all that great & we don't want to enter 2014 with two rookies starting at guard & one at RT. Plus Dallas will overpay for one of them.
    8 - avoid spending big money on a RB because they don't last long
    9 - have Philbin avoid the temptation of going after a 30 year old WR James Jones
    10 - cap permitting, sign DT Odrick to an extension before he hits free agency in 2015

Draft
    11 - draft an OT early that will start at RT but has the ability to play LT (preference would be Taylor Lewan, Cyrus Kouandjio, Brandon Scherff)
    12 - draft a run blocking guard capable of starting at LG week one in the 2nd or 3rd round
    13 - draft a balanced DT to replace Randy Starks in the 2nd or 3rd round
    14 - draft a true big back in the middle rounds to go with Lamar (Carlos Hyde, Andre Williams)
    15 - draft a speedy slot receiver to guard against Brandon Gibson not returning in time for the season; with the great depth expected in the WR class the speedy slot receviers should be pushed down to the later rounds so target Robert Herron, Josh Huff, or Tevin Reese
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    I am not married to the 4-3. Changing to a 3-4 might be a way to utilize more talent currently on the roster IF Soliai can be re-signed.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If I were the GM I'd start myself at MLB and fullback....so you don't want me as GM i don't think.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    What Sherman aspires to be

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    I am not married to the 4-3. Changing to a 3-4 might be a way to utilize more talent currently on the roster IF Soliai can be re-signed.
    But Vernon doesn't fit the 3-4. Ireland made a mistake this offseason, no surprise, by resigning Misi to an extension who is okay at best. Dion Jordan should be learning to play SLB & be used similar to Von Miller. Having three good pass rushers on the field at all times is a better proposition than yo-yoing back & forth between defenses.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by SMadison29 View Post
    But Vernon doesn't fit the 3-4. Ireland made a mistake this offseason, no surprise, by resigning Misi to an extension who is okay at best. Dion Jordan should be learning to play SLB & be used similar to Von Miller. Having three good pass rushers on the field at all times is a better proposition than yo-yoing back & forth between defenses.
    I disagree about O.V., but if you are right in your assessment, I would not make O.V.'s skill set stop me from moving to a 3-4.

I would re-sign Soliai as a NT. Odrick is a great fit for 3-4 DE. Wake and Jordan would be my OLB's. Ellerbe and Misi would be moved inside. I would attempt to trade O.V. player for player and cut Wheeler.

I love O.V. He is improving, but the team might be better off with a 3-4. Just a VERY early thought.

I can be sold on 4-3 or 3-4. Teams spend more time in the Nickel anyway.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    First I would resign Grimes, Carroll, Soliai, and Clemons. Second I would trade Wake for picks. I would trade him to a contender so he had a chance to win. He deserves that. The goal is to move Jordan into Wake's spot. Defense is set. Third I would focus my draft on the OL and a seem TE.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    By the way my thoughts on the defense is based on moving back to a 3-4 scheme with Vernon and Jordan as OLB and Misi and Ellerbe as MLB.
    Quote Quote