Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 110

Thread: You're the GM in 2014: How do you fix this team?

  1. -41
    normaniii's Avatar
    Rookie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    2,098
    vCash:
    3053
    Loc:
    wales and will die a proud dragon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Fire Coyle. I dont think he a poor coach, but he has underacheived with the talent available and our players are best suited to a 3-4 IMO.

    I would go against the grain and keep Sherman. We forget that we have the worst tackles in football, no O'line depth, no blocking TE, FB or RB and this has to be addressed and IMO him staying would be best for RT.

    I would re-sign, Starks, Nolan Carroll, Chris Clemons, Brent Grimes, John Jerry, Paul Soliai, Will Yeatman.

    Release Dimitri Patterson, Daniel Thomas, Jonathan Martin, Michael Egnew.

    I wouldn't sign any Free Agent for more than a 1 year contract. I would pick up players with a point to prove, much like Grimes & Keller this year and then re-assess at end of season. Pick up players released after the initial flurry of throwing money away.

    With the players re-signed, it would keep our Defensive side of the ball in tact. A 3-4 front 5 of Starks, Soliai, Odrick, Wake & Jordan should cause havoc. This would be massively enticing for any 3-4 DC. Can you imagine a Wade Phillips or a Rex Ryan with this front and a secondary of Grimes, Jones, Clemons & Carroll.

    I would finally build through draft. With my defense in place, I would concentrate only on offense. Next years draft his high on OT in 1st round. I would love Kouandijio and plug him in at RT. I would have in mind an O'line next year of McKinnie, Garner, Pouncey, Jerry, 1st rnd pick. Dallas Thomas, Brenner, Will Yeatman, plus any OT willing to compete on a 1 year contract, would back up.

    I would move Clay to H back and aim to draft a TE in round 2. I would love Austin Seferian-Jenkins. With Dion Sims they would provide a nice pairing.

    I would then draft a RB, G, legitimate FB and another WR. I would also consider QB with this years class. Someone to backup and in future push RT. I want much like Pete Carroll said, competition in every position.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -42
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2011
    Posts:
    625
    vCash:
    3121
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Considering this team spends double on defense than it does on offense, you go ALL OFFENSE in FA/ Early draft.

    --Get Starks or Soliai.
    --Resign Grimes for 2 more years. Also resign Clemons. Keep him and Jones together.
    --We still got McKinnie, Pouncey, Jerry. Gonna need a LG and a RT. Get one FA and one early in the draft (go Round 1).
    --Incognito isn't coming back most likely. Even if he does come back for the rest of the year. Gonna miss him.
    --As for RB...I have no idea. Try and get MJD or draft a RB in round 2.
    --Resign Keller.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -43
    Dmarino110's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    1,783
    vCash:
    3546
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantprodigy View Post
    Getting rid of Sherman is a must.

    But as far as personnel goes, I'd sign an OT, draft an OT, sign a G, draft a G, and make sure to keep Soliai. I'd keep Grimes unless there is any elite corner on the market we can get for similar money (I don't know of any hitting the market this year). Draft a DT in in the middle rounds, and find a RB to work with Miller.
    wouldnt it be better to have pouncy move to guard where his pulling ability could be much better used and pick up a center?



    Quote Quote  

  4. -44
    MexDolfan's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2005
    Posts:
    1,559
    vCash:
    1452
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1) My first action without doubt would be to sign Brent Grimes until 2017.
    2) Install Dolphins' Culture Commission leaded by players and a pair of assessors. This commission would serve to avoid future cases like Martin and create a better environment.
    3) Assuming Gary Kubiak's days as Houston HC are numbered, then replace Jim Turner with current Texans' OL coach John Benton.
    4) Move Mike Sherman to HC Assistant; bring Gary Kubiak as Offensive Coordinator. Mike Sherman would focus on helping Joe Philbin and follow up Ryan Tannehill's development.
    5) Add better medical staff for the team, focused on rehab & conditioning.
    6) Bring back some of my own free agents: Paul Soliai, Pat Devlin, Chris Clemons, Nolan Carroll.
    7) Inquire for Jimmy Graham's price and bring Dustin Keller back after double-checking knee.
    8) Hire OL free agents: Ryan Harris, Eugene Monroe & Charles Brown. In order to distract negotiations, inquire for Jordan Gross & keep talks with Tyson Clabo's agent.
    9) Hire RB free agent: Darren McFadden.
    10) Hire KR/PR specialist free agent: Ted Ginn Jr.
    11) Trade a late round pick for Justin Blackmon.
    12) Upgrade the staff of scouts/headhunters to explore every potential draft gem.
    13) Draft plan: BPA in each round, trading down a pair of times during draft and focusing on filling: RB, OL(2), DL(2), LB (2).
    14) Add enough quality UDFA to compete for backup spots at RB, OL, LB & CB(2).
    15) Hire an agent in New Zealand to find within rugby league a K/P with superior quality than ours.
    16) Explore options to move some training camps to a high city in South America, in order to promote the NFL and get additional conditioning.
    From Mexico, GO PHINS GO!!!
    Quote Quote  

  5. -45
    MexDolfan's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2005
    Posts:
    1,559
    vCash:
    1452
    Loc:
    Cuernavaca, Morelos, MX.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by normaniii View Post
    Fire Coyle. I dont think he a poor coach, but he has underacheived with the talent available and our players are best suited to a 3-4 IMO.

    I would go against the grain and keep Sherman. We forget that we have the worst tackles in football, no O'line depth, no blocking TE, FB or RB and this has to be addressed and IMO him staying would be best for RT.

    I would re-sign, Starks, Nolan Carroll, Chris Clemons, Brent Grimes, John Jerry, Paul Soliai, Will Yeatman.

    Release Dimitri Patterson, Daniel Thomas, Jonathan Martin, Michael Egnew.

    I wouldn't sign any Free Agent for more than a 1 year contract. I would pick up players with a point to prove, much like Grimes & Keller this year and then re-assess at end of season. Pick up players released after the initial flurry of throwing money away.

    With the players re-signed, it would keep our Defensive side of the ball in tact. A 3-4 front 5 of Starks, Soliai, Odrick, Wake & Jordan should cause havoc. This would be massively enticing for any 3-4 DC. Can you imagine a Wade Phillips or a Rex Ryan with this front and a secondary of Grimes, Jones, Clemons & Carroll.

    I would finally build through draft. With my defense in place, I would concentrate only on offense. Next years draft his high on OT in 1st round. I would love Kouandijio and plug him in at RT. I would have in mind an O'line next year of McKinnie, Garner, Pouncey, Jerry, 1st rnd pick. Dallas Thomas, Brenner, Will Yeatman, plus any OT willing to compete on a 1 year contract, would back up.

    I would move Clay to H back and aim to draft a TE in round 2. I would love Austin Seferian-Jenkins. With Dion Sims they would provide a nice pairing.

    I would then draft a RB, G, legitimate FB and another WR. I would also consider QB with this years class. Someone to backup and in future push RT. I want much like Pete Carroll said, competition in every position.
    I understand your point, but unless you know something that I ignore, it's almost impossible to get both Soliai and Starks back. Explain this please.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -46
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    2,728
    vCash:
    7065
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would fire Coyle and replace him with a 3-4 defensive coach, Fire Philbin and replace him with Whisenhunt, spend the money on Soliai and return to the 3-4 both new LBrs come from that system, would also move Dion to OLB....the money spent in FA will be on the OL, resign Grimes and Patterson and then get out of the way and let the coach develop what we have which is a very young team....
    Quote Quote  

  7. -47
    Regulus's Avatar
    Rookie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2005
    Posts:
    276
    vCash:
    1905
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Finding a safety to replace Jones should be a priority. He is garbage. I don't care how much we signed him for. He is a huge liability in the secondary.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -48
    Dr. Phin's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    6,343
    vCash:
    7534
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MexDolfan View Post
    I understand your point, but unless you know something that I ignore, it's almost impossible to get both Soliai and Starks back. Explain this please.
    What is there to explain? You pay them. You get rid of either one, particularly Starks, and this line is a shell of itself. Odrick can't replace Starks. Go watch how often Starks is double-teamed compared to Odrick. It would be a mistake to let either go. There are plenty of other over-paid players around here...and it isn't them.
    "May the acorns rest in peace..."
    Quote Quote  

  9. -49
    spiketex's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    3,263
    vCash:
    8949
    Thanks / No Thanks
    (1) I'd get a new Offensive Coordinator and O-line coach. I think that Sherman is overprotective of Tannehill and it could be good to find someone with proven skills in developing QB's (preferably in a west coast system). Turner has been a disappointment coaching the O-line. The JMart situation should never have occurred. He should have been closer to the players.
    (2) I'd look for O-line talent in free agency and in the draft.
    (3) I'd look for a tough experienced RB in free agency. The best that I could afford. That doesn't mean that I'm giving up on Lamar Miller. I still think that he could be good, it's just having an each way bet.
    (4) Re-sign Brent Grimes, the finest free agent purchase that Jeff Ireland has ever made.
    Last edited by spiketex; 11-26-2013 at 04:12 PM.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -50
    spiketex's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    3,263
    vCash:
    8949
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MexDolfan View Post
    1) My first action without doubt would be to sign Brent Grimes until 2017.
    2) Install Dolphins' Culture Commission leaded by players and a pair of assessors. This commission would serve to avoid future cases like Martin and create a better environment.
    3) Assuming Gary Kubiak's days as Houston HC are numbered, then replace Jim Turner with current Texans' OL coach John Benton.
    4) Move Mike Sherman to HC Assistant; bring Gary Kubiak as Offensive Coordinator. Mike Sherman would focus on helping Joe Philbin and follow up Ryan Tannehill's development.
    5) Add better medical staff for the team, focused on rehab & conditioning.
    6) Bring back some of my own free agents: Paul Soliai, Pat Devlin, Chris Clemons, Nolan Carroll.
    7) Inquire for Jimmy Graham's price and bring Dustin Keller back after double-checking knee.
    8) Hire OL free agents: Ryan Harris, Eugene Monroe & Charles Brown. In order to distract negotiations, inquire for Jordan Gross & keep talks with Tyson Clabo's agent.
    9) Hire RB free agent: Darren McFadden.
    10) Hire KR/PR specialist free agent: Ted Ginn Jr.
    11) Trade a late round pick for Justin Blackmon.
    12) Upgrade the staff of scouts/headhunters to explore every potential draft gem.
    13) Draft plan: BPA in each round, trading down a pair of times during draft and focusing on filling: RB, OL(2), DL(2), LB (2).
    14) Add enough quality UDFA to compete for backup spots at RB, OL, LB & CB(2).
    15) Hire an agent in New Zealand to find within rugby league a K/P with superior quality than ours.
    16) Explore options to move some training camps to a high city in South America, in order to promote the NFL and get additional conditioning.

    Lots of great ideas but the best punters play Australian rules football, not rugby or rugby league. Even most knowledgeable rugby and rugby league players would be honest enough to admit that the AFL punters are far superior. But this is not really applicable to Miami because we already have the best punter in the game in Fields. And he continues to get better.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. If you think Philbin will be coaching this team in 2014...
    By AEGBRG in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-11-2013, 06:10 PM
  2. OL in 2014
    By Tannchise in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 10:49 AM
  3. Better 2014 QB Through 3 Games??
    By KTOWNFINFAN in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 07:58 PM
  4. 2014 fin FA
    By Bick in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 06:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •