Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Interresting stats, follow up on offense balance.

1. -1
    Yippi ka yay mother******!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91

Interresting stats, follow up on offense balance.

This is a follow up on shouright`s thread regarding the teams lack of rushing attempts. Got curious so I took a look at playoffs teams from the last 4 seasons(since 2009) and I wasn't really surprised of the results... The Fins are on pace to end the season with 336 rushing attempts. The team with the least rushing attempts to make the playoffs in the last four years are the 2011 Detroit Lions with 356. Out of all those playoff teams(48), only 9 made it with less than 400 attempts. Only 2 of those are from the AFC, the 2009 and 2010 Peyton Manning Colts.... NFC teams who made it with less than 400 carries: GB(395), DET(356), ATL(378), NO(380), PHI(384), SEA(385), ARI(365). Now for those who think what we're running is that famous GB offense, consider this, the lower amount of carries that team has put out since 2009 is 395 in 2011 and averages to 422 carries a season. So let me ask you this, WHY do these coaches, who have QBs such as Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Tom Brady feel like they have to run the ball to have success as a football team. And more importantly, why do some fans think that Ryan Tannehill, in his second pro football season, should be able to do so when absolutely nobody has done it in the last four years?(Im pretty sure it goes much further than that, just too lazy to go further) Its not an excuse guys...
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
    This is a follow up on shouright`s thread regarding the teams lack of rushing attempts. Got curious so I took a look at playoffs teams from the last 4 seasons(since 2009) and I wasn't really surprised of the results... The Fins are on pace to end the season with 336 rushing attempts. The team with the least rushing attempts to make the playoffs in the last four years are the 2011 Detroit Lions with 356. Out of all those playoff teams(48), only 9 made it with less than 400 attempts. Only 2 of those are from the AFC, the 2009 and 2010 Peyton Manning Colts.... NFC teams who made it with less than 400 carries: GB(395), DET(356), ATL(378), NO(380), PHI(384), SEA(385), ARI(365). Now for those who think what we're running is that famous GB offense, consider this, the lower amount of carries that team has put out since 2009 is 395 in 2011 and averages to 422 carries a season. So let me ask you this, WHY do these coaches, who have QBs such as Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Tom Brady feel like they have to run the ball to have success as a football team. And more importantly, why do some fans think that Ryan Tannehill, in his second pro football season, should be able to do so when absolutely nobody has done it in the last four years?(Im pretty sure it goes much further than that, just too lazy to go further) Its not an excuse guys...

Because ____________________ says so..., silly...
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Just trust me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Centreville Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The only thing that I really think stands out from both threads as a definate is that teams that are one dimensional don't succeed often
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Yippi ka yay mother******!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by mega-fin-love View Post
    The only thing that I really think stands out from both threads as a definate is that teams that are one dimensional don't succeed often
    I actually think you'd have a shot if your unbalanced the other way around. Running too much is still better than not running enough...
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Just trust me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Centreville Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
    I actually think you'd have a shot if your unbalanced the other way around. Running too much is still better than not running enough...
    Agreed...but if you want to win superbowls you need both...and a sick D
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Münchweiler, Germany
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The reason we're not running the football is because we can't do it. I'd rather have Tannehill complete a 4 yard pass than Lamar Miller running for negative yards. There's only one game where the running game looked decent and that was against the Bengals when we had six offensive linemen out there. Don't know why we're not doing this more, especially at the end of the season when weather is a factor and has a negative impact on the passing game.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
    The reason we're not running the football is because we can't do it. I'd rather have Tannehill complete a 4 yard pass than Lamar Miller running for negative yards. There's only one game where the running game looked decent and that was against the Bengals when we had six offensive linemen out there. Don't know why we're not doing this more, especially at the end of the season when weather is a factor and has a negative impact on the passing game.
    The Dolphins average 4.1 yards per carry, which is the league average. If the Dolphins "can't do it," then neither can half the teams in the league.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The answer is simple: good QBs. If you have a good QB you can run more because defenses won't dare you to beat them in the air by loading up the box, they already know that is not a good gamble. If Aaron Rogers was our QB on Sunday him and Wallace would have hooked up for at least 4 or 5 TDs. Then with a 30-40 point lead you'll have a lot more flexibility to mix in more runs. Until Tannehill proves he can destroy 8 man fronts with his arm he won't get the same respect as those playoff contenders.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    The answer is simple: good QBs. If you have a good QB you can run more because defenses won't dare you to beat them in the air by loading up the box, they already know that is not a good gamble. If Aaron Rogers was our QB on Sunday him and Wallace would have hooked up for at least 4 or 5 TDs. Then with a 30-40 point lead you'll have a lot more flexibility to mix in more runs. Until Tannehill proves he can destroy 8 man fronts with his arm he won't get the same respect as those playoff contenders.
    There we are. The typical belief is that the quarterback needs a running game in order to perform better, but that works in reverse, as well.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Who the QB is plays a significant role in balance and each individual teams definition of balance. The Dolphins with RT need an offense that has an equal mix of run and pass. The Jets with Geno Smith need an offense that features more running than throwing. The Saints can throw the ball more because they have the luxury of having Drew Brees but, they still have to have an effective ground game. Keep in mind these are just examples.

Not a fan of the stats threads that have been getting posted lately but both this and Shou's thread on this topic are a good use of statistical data.
    Quote Quote