Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Interresting stats, follow up on offense balance.

1. -21
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    does anyone really believe that miami can line up and run the ball and consistently be in 2nd and 6??? i mean really...wtf

teams laugh at our run game...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vt_dolfan View Post
    I think the problem again lies with our line. We did some of our best running..when we used essentially an extra o lineman. It seems like...our line can run block ..but only when we pack the extra beef. Which then takes away from our passing attack. We can't run and pass out of the same formations.
    The only objective data we have with regard to the run blocking of the offensive line tell us the line isn't any worse in that regard than the average team.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    does anyone really believe that miami can line up and run the ball and consistently be in 2nd and 6??? i mean really...wtf

Well then they should also laugh at half of the run games in the league, since the Dolphins perform better in terms of yards per carry than about that many teams.

Although yet again, rushing attempts predict wins, not rushing success.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nyashfan View Post
    Wow! Hard to believe the Dolphins rank 12th! I looked at the glossary but don't have a feel as to what defines a successful run. Suppose it's 3rd and 18 and the Dolphins play it safe and run, gaining 7 yards. The defense would be conceding the run to protect against a big passing play. Would that be categorized as a successful run? I think it is very ambitious to define these advanced statistics with proper context.
    A run is considered "successful" if it results in positive expected points added, which refers to the following:

Expected Points (EP) – The value of the current down, distance, and field position situation in terms of future expected net point advantage. In other words, it is the net point value a team can expect given a particular combination of down, distance, and field position. First and goal at the one represents an EP near 6, while 3rd and 20 at a team’s own one yard line represents an EP of about -2. EP differs from Win Probability (WP) in that it does not take into account the game score and time remaining.

Expected Points Added (EPA) – The difference between the Expected Points (EP) at the start of a play and the EP at the end of they play. EPA is the measure of a play’s impact on the score of the game. An individual player’s EPA is the sum of the EPA of the plays in which that player was directly involved. Being directly involved is defined as an offensive player who ran, threw, or kicked the ball, was targeted by a pass, or flagged for a penalty.
    http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/08/glossary.html
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Yippi ka yay mother******!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post

No, but at the same time, do you really believe Tannehill is at a point in his career where he can win games by himself against opposing Ds that don't have to respect the run at all?
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Suffering.............

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Stats are just stats sometimes. If you just watch the games it is pretty evident that these guys are bad at running the ball, especially now with the 3rd string OL.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phishxhead View Post
    Stats are just stats sometimes. If you just watch the games it is pretty evident that these guys are bad at running the ball, especially now with the 3rd string OL.
    Or perhaps you're simply falling prey to confirmation bias.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Yippi ka yay mother******!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91
    Then just run Clay up the middle 25 times a game for all I care, you`ll get 2-4 yards every time, never lose ten yards. At least then, the D wont have a choice but to respect the fact that we might run it...
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Suffering.............

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shouright View Post
    Or perhaps you're simply falling prey to confirmation bias.
    Could be. Just watching and using common sense, I'm not sure how getting stuffed for negative yards consistently helps THIS team win.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
    No, but at the same time, do you really believe Tannehill is at a point in his career where he can win games by himself against opposing Ds that don't have to respect the run at all?
    no...most these other young qbs in the same type scenario ie you stop the run though warts wise are showing much more than ryan tannehills i can tell ya that...so many crutch qbs in this league...can't play from the pocket can't read the field and coverage

but you also aren't gonna win getting yourself in 3rd and 8 over and over cause you know rushing attempts lead to wins either jamming the ball into 8 man fronts when you can't get any push...this stuff is so football dumb it floors me...all more 3rd and long means is more pressure on your suspect pass pro....

i don't care what that stat of 4.1 ypc says you watch the damn games this team cannot run the ball with any consistency against anyone pretty much...god dang tell that dude to shove that stupid stat up his ***

placing numbers in a vacuum is flat out ignorant when it comes to football...they dont account for what kind of defenses the opposition shows you or how you have to allocate personnel to get the results you do etc...just flat vacuum no common sense or situational awareness accounted for at all...but hey that's what he drops all day long
    Last edited by hooshoops; 11-27-2013 at 04:14 PM.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Could be. Just watching and using common sense, I'm not sure how getting stuffed for negative yards consistently helps THIS team win.
    Are you aware of any data that support the belief that the Dolphins get stuffed for negative yards any more often than the average team in the league?

The data I'm aware of actually points out that they're 12th in the league in terms of their percentage of successful runs.

That said, however, once again, rushing attempts predict wins, not rushing success.
    Quote Quote