Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 107

Thread: Interresting stats, follow up on offense balance.

  1. -51
    ATL_PHIN_FAN's Avatar
    Winner Under Construction

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2012
    Posts:
    924
    vCash:
    2309
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shouright View Post
    So this is just what you believe subjectively, despite the fact that the Dolphins are successful on 41.1% of their runs, which is currently 12th-best in the league?

    Additionally, are you aware that it's rushing attempts, even in the first half, that strongly predict winning, not rushing success?

    The relevant data here are that the Dolphins are the third-worst team in the league in terms of balance generated by running the ball, despite the fact that there is no objective information available that they run the ball any worse than the average team when they do run it.

    This is very simple. Mike Sherman isn't running the ball enough. I don't think we need to squirm around and contort ourselves into explaining that away with irrelevant and subjective perceptions.
    I think the only way to prove your point or disprove my eyes is to do an analysis of our running plays given situations. How often are they successful, given the situations? When it's obviously desirable to run, can we? What is our success then? What I see is that we are forced to pass at critical points in most of our games because we can't depend on our running game to get even a yard. I also see the teams we play are very likely to get that yard. I really don't give a hoot about the stats if they don't account for that. Can you comfortably tell me that they do?
    The superior man blames himself. The inferior man blames others.

    - Don Shula


    Quote Quote  

  2. -52
    Shouright's Avatar
    FinHeaven Elite

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    15,064
    vCash:
    1543
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL_PHIN_FAN View Post
    I think the only way to prove your point or disprove my eyes is to do an analysis of our running plays given situations. How often are they successful, given the situations? When it's obviously desirable to run, can we? What is our success then? What I see is that we are forced to pass at critical points in most of our games because we can't depend on our running game to get even a yard. I also see the teams we play are very likely to get that yard. I really don't give a hoot about the stats if they don't account for that. Can you comfortably tell me that they do?
    How would you define those sorts of situations? Being ahead by at least a certain number of points in a game, perhaps? Running the ball to try to get a first down when only a certain number of yards are needed?
    Quote Quote  

  3. -53
    2413fanphins's Avatar
    Super Donator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    6,604
    vCash:
    2353
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by shouright View Post
    The Dolphins average 4.1 yards per carry, which is the league average. If the Dolphins "can't do it," then neither can half the teams in the league.
    Your right half the league.cant do it... and their sub. 500 records show that.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -54
    ATL_PHIN_FAN's Avatar
    Winner Under Construction

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2012
    Posts:
    924
    vCash:
    2309
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shouright View Post
    How would you define those sorts of situations? Being ahead by at least a certain number of points in a game, perhaps? Running the ball to try to get a first down when only a certain number of yards are needed?
    It would be very difficult to quantify or categorize exactly. That's because we also have a very subjective thing that must also be accounted for: Mike Sherman's and ultimately, Joe Philbin's, judgement. Together, they decide when we should or should not run. The fact that they've chosen not to run at critical junctures this year speaks volumes toward their lack of faith in our running game, despite the apparent healthy average we currently maintain.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -55
    Shouright's Avatar
    FinHeaven Elite

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    15,064
    vCash:
    1543
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL_PHIN_FAN View Post
    It would be very difficult to quantify or categorize exactly. That's because we also have a very subjective thing that must also be accounted for: Mike Sherman's and ultimately, Joe Philbin's, judgement. Together, they decide when we should or should not run. The fact that they've chosen not to run at critical junctures this year speaks volumes toward their lack of faith in our running game, despite the apparent healthy average we currently maintain.
    First of all, what is a "critical juncture," and second, where is the evidence that the team's percentage of runs at those times is any less than its percentage of runs in general?

    The problem with your perception here is that it's based on nothing objective, yet you're stating it as though it's a certainty. It's entirely possible you're falling prey to confirmation bias here, in that the team could be running no less at the times you're talking about than it does in general.

    Moreover, we're a long way from the point that rushing attempts predict wins, not rushing success. It's as if some people here believe that, despite the importance of rushing attempts, running the ball is nonetheless continent on success. That isn't true. You have to run the ball even when you aren't successful, yet, again, there is no evidence the Dolphins are less successful than the average team.

    In other words, you could tell me the Dolphins are not successful running the ball in some way, and I wouldn't care. I would tell you they'd have to run the ball nonetheless. The critical point isn't whether they're successful.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -56
    NBP81's Avatar
    Yippi ka yay mother******!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    3,179
    vCash:
    4609
    Loc:
    montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91
    I think the coaching staff lacks patience, a soon as they`re not getting 5 yards a carry they completely abandon the running throwing and start throwing all over the place. Thing is the OL and running backs benefit from every previous attempts, as it attacks the DL instead of responding to it, tiring them. So maybe they should stick with it and see where that takes'em. I don't have access to rushing attemps in first and 2nd halves but Im pretty sure 2nd half attempts are few and far between and it shouldnt be considering we've been ahead in multiple games entering the second half...
    Quote Quote  

  7. -57
    nyashfan's Avatar
    For Earth Below

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    574
    vCash:
    3774
    Loc:
    New York, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Using the Panthers game as a barometer i.e. leading at halftime, I think there are two competing strategies to adopt going into the 2nd half. The first strategy is to go for the quick score by passing in order to "ice" the game. The second is to commit to the run and control the clock while preserving the lead. Sherman's philosophy seems to be to go for the quick score, to force the opponent to become one-dimensional.

    If the quick score fails to materialize I get the feeling that Sherman shows indecisiveness and has no idea how to proceed. Clearly once Carolina scored quickly to pull to 16-13, Sherman panicked and felt desperate to need to respond immediately with a quick strike. It feels as if the game plan disintegrated into chaos.

    It would be interesting to see the Dolphins' run/pass ratio broken out by down split by halves or even quarters.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -58
    Geforce's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2005
    Posts:
    8,307
    vCash:
    5745
    Loc:
    O-town
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
    I think the coaching staff lacks patience, a soon as they`re not getting 5 yards a carry they completely abandon the running throwing and start throwing all over the place. Thing is the OL and running backs benefit from every previous attempts, as it attacks the DL instead of responding to it, tiring them. So maybe they should stick with it and see where that takes'em. I don't have access to rushing attemps in first and 2nd halves but Im pretty sure 2nd half attempts are few and far between and it shouldnt be considering we've been ahead in multiple games entering the second half...
    According to ESPN.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/splits/_...miami-dolphins
    1st half rushing attempts: 136 attempts for 614 yards.
    2nd half rushing attempts: 92 attempts for 324 yards.

    To break it down even further.
    1st quarter: 62 attempts for 199 yards.
    2nd quarter: 74 attempts for 415 yards.
    3rd quarter: 45 attempts for 152 yards.
    4th quarter: 47 attempts for 172 yards.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -59
    39wildman's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    228
    vCash:
    1605
    Thanks / No Thanks
    if dolphins had top 10 qb. the doplphins would be in playoff every year. they put to much pressure on defense....
    Quote Quote  

  10. -60
    39wildman's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    228
    vCash:
    1605
    Thanks / No Thanks
    at end of day Carolina cb could not cover deep ball. why not used difference wr to go deep or go deep to wallace... that was key to beating them... other team will watch dolphins game and beat panthers. we did not need running game to work. dolphins to me play lose...
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. You Want Stats, I Got Stats - Offense verse Defense
    By NY8123 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 05:06 PM
  2. The giants offense tonight and why our fins should follow how they play.
    By Ilovemyfins4eva in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-26-2010, 11:17 AM
  3. What is the Perfect Balance for the Fins' Offense?
    By JoeFin in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 05:16 PM
  4. With Mularkey demoted, Fins' offense should balance out
    By Green Phin in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 09:58 AM
  5. Does Saban want a balance offense, running, or passing?
    By jonnyblaze22 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 02:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •