Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would you rather have as HC: Rex or Philbin?

1. -41
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bellingham, MA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I know it hurts but this is why I'd take Rex. He's had the most, and somewhat only, success against the best team in our division with inferior talent. He has to be doing something right. The team rally's around the guy and he'll have them ready Sunday. His game plan for Miami will be sound and don't be surprised if we fall right into it. In my opinion the Jets game plan should be run, run, run and punt until we beat ourselves. Ours should be aggressive passing to try to get a 10-14 point lead so the Jets need to Pass to get back into the game and tee off on Geno Smith to get the game more out of reach. If this is a last possession game Ryan wins because that's just what the Jets want.
    Andrew Luck VS New England

0-3 with 6 TD's and 8 picks. Not sure "Suck for Luck" helps in our division. Maybe we stop the "meaningless wins" talk.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Magic City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoTannehill 17Dolphins Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoFin View Post
    This is a bit of a would you rather eat candy or s--t kind of question. No, Rex isn't candy - although he prob eats a ton of it - and I can't stand his personality, but as far as coaching goes, there's no question who I would rather have leading a football team. Philbin and company are arguably the worst, least creative and slowest to adapt coaching staff in the NFL. One can easily argue that between at least 3, and as many as 5, losses are on the coaches. Philbin makes no halftime adjustments at all, he's predictable, and worst of all in an era of football that is predicated on mismatches, he does absolutely nothing to try and exploit the opponents' weakness with his most talented pieces whenever he can (wallace lined up as right flanker 99.9% of the time, few QB rollouts and zero designed runs from one of the more athletic QBs, rarely passes to speedy RB out of the backfield instead daniel thomas is the 3rd round back, can't find a way to use difference-making #3 overall pick more than 30-40 snaps a game, etc..). I mean, Rex is a Billicheck-Bill Walsh super hybrid compared to Philbin.
    Gotta love the internet where amateurs can posture like they are experts with little facts or examples to back it up.
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would take Philbin over Rex simply for the fact that Philbin has class. Neither will go down in history as a great head coach.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think you have to give Ryan credit for what he has done this year. A 5-6 record with an extremely inconsistent rookie quarterback is an achievement. I thought the Jets would be in the hunt for a top 5 pick and here they are in a weird playoff chase.

That said, it's too early to make a decision on Philibin. In some ways I feel the Dolphins have overachieved considering the mess on the offensive line. I'd like to see what Philibin could do with more talent on that offensive side. The weakness on the offensive line is apparent when Miami needs to run the clock to finish games and just can't get it done. Is Philibin the long-term answer? I just don't know. I think he needs one more year.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Yippi ka yay mother******!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91
    Would you rather have herpes or gonorrhea ...?
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Philbin
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    what has philbin done in miami other than post a 12-15 career record? his teams come out of the gate sluggish and looking disinterested, his halftime adjustments are a disgrace and our offense is a disaster. wasnt he supposed to be an offensive guru? i would take rex any day of the week over this fake, clueless offensive mastermind, joe philbin. i dont know how ANYONE can be happy with the job hes done here!!
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    Rex kept playing Sanchez bullheadedly; Rex fiddled cluelessly as his clubhouse exploded; Rex's empty "guarantees" became another laughingstock; Rex hired Sparano terming him his "mini me" (offensively); Rex got into 1 playoff in 4 years based on merit (without Colts starters who outscored them 45-27 in approx 1.5 games (60-37 pro-rated over 2 games), not to mention tripgate which he skated responsibility on as well as all his personal embarrassments over sexual perversions, harassment and lack of self control. So yeah, we'd be a better defensive team with him as our DC, but his playing Sanchez in exhibition game 4 is akin to The Meatball getting Long injured in the same game. So thanks but no thanks.
    I was kind of torn on whether he's good or not but I forgot about putting Sanchez in against the scrubs trying to make a name for themselves in preseason.

- Tripgate, faking injuries to gain timeouts, and the huge number of penalties his team has committed this year speaks to his character.
    - Whoever thought Sparano would make for a good offensive coordinator is a fool
    - Why didn't he give Tebow a real shot? That makes no sense to me, seems like a pretty good fit for the type of offense he likes to run.

I dunno, I'm still kind of torn. With the right QB I think he would win a lot of games but the penalties and the general lack of discipline would probably sink them a lot of seasons.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    anyone who chooses Philbin doesn't want to win. Look at what rex did w/ the talent last year and what he has done w/ the talent this year. The 2 aren't close, Rex is a top 10 coach in this league.
    Well since Philbin became a head coach he has a better win percentage than Rex and thats with a green QB and Rex having the benefit of a lot more coaching experience. And did it with a horrid GM...

The bottom line is 2 losing seasons in a row spells mediocre at best, and that goes for both of them.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ryan
    Quote Quote