I want to discuss some plays that stood out to me that all involved Mathews and blitzes.
1) First play of the game: Mathews in slot, sees blitz coming and actually points it out to Tannehill. Play is a run. If Tannehill would have passed it to Mathews, who was not covered, it would have been an easy pickup of 5-6 before the safety could come down.
2) 3:29 1st: Mathews in slot. Corner on blitz. Run play. Mathews does his route looking for hot read. Stayed with run.
3) 2:56 1st: Mathews in slot. Corner on blitz. Mathews points it out. Does his route looking for hot route, but Tannehill doesn't throw it. Continues to do an out after, which Tannehill then throws to him but outside. Incomplete. To me it looks like Mathews was in position sitting down, so that he didn't continue the route into the area of the defender on Hartline. But the throw from Tannehill makes it look like he wanted Mathews to continue his route.
4) 13:54 2nd: Mathews in slot. Corner blitz. Mathews points it out. Run play and Tannehill doesn't go to him.
5) 13: 18 2nd: Mathews is in the slot and uncovered. LB is coming out on zone blitz to cover. Tannehill sees it and throws the hot route to Mathews, but Mathews just does his out route and the pass is incomplete.
The last pass could have been a first down that would have kept the drive alive inside the 10. To me the last pass at first glance appears to be clearly Mathews fault, but if you look at all these plays together...I am wondering if Mathews had lost confidence in Tannehill's reads and just didn't look for the hot route and continued on the out because of miss for #3.
6) 13:13 2nd: Same setup as #5. The don't cover Mathews. This time the LB doesn't even bother coming to him, and just drops into zone. It would have been an easy first. Instead he goes to Thigpen on a check-down...we don't get a first....FG.
These two do not appear to be on the same page. Are there any experts here that can tell me who is at fault? If it was just a single case, I wouldn't worry about it...but this was clearly happening a lot and Carolina was taking advantage of the fact that we weren't doing anything.
If we would have taken advantage of this, we could have had some very easy pickups. Of course they would have stopped doing it after we burned them a couple of times, but instead they continued to do it because we were doing nothing about it.