Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Our defense

  1. -11
    JJM_7's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2008
    Posts:
    158
    vCash:
    2265
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The reality is we haven't been able to finish games on offense this year, but we have finished some games on defense, so that's good. Our run defense has been terrible at times though, so that is a concern, definitely. And we've given up too many 3rd and longs. That's also been frustrating.

    Obviously our defense is not perfect, but the main problem this year has been on the offensive side. We'd probably be 7-4 or better if our offense could finish games this season. You score more points in the second half after gaining a lead in the first, and you win those games. Unfortunately, we haven't.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -12
    MiamiDolphin618's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2010
    Posts:
    1,154
    vCash:
    2148
    Thanks / No Thanks
    LB is probably just as much of a pressing need as OT at this point. Its awful watching these guys.

    The defense has been solid. My problems with the D so far has been:
    1. Underutilize Jordan. He played more last week so hoping thats a good sign...he can play
    2. Terrible LB play- Thus we cant get off the field on 3rd and long
    3. Patterson cant stay healthy and while other guys have played okay at times...its a big drop off
    4. Run D hasnt been dominant

    My biggest complaint is probably the issue with how out of sync our O and D are. Offense scores Defense gives points right back. Defense gets a stop then the offense can't score. We can never get ANY momentum which is why so many of our games are so close at the end.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -13
    DANTODUPER's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    516
    vCash:
    1556
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Egnew the GOAT View Post
    Im saying Wheeler is bad. Ellerbe has underperformed, and Koa Misi isnt good.

    So basically... yes.
    Ellerbe is not the problem, Wheeler, Misi, Clemons, Starks and Soliai are. Hopefully we let both (Starks and Soliai go next year) and substitute them with cheaper same quality players until we hit one solid DT on the draft. I believe on Ofense we only need a power running back and a good RT. But on defense we need lots of help; SS, 2OLB, 2DT and a healthy CB.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -14
    vagrantprodigy's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2010
    Posts:
    2,409
    vCash:
    3947
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Our LB's are in large part the reason we are struggling vs the run. Misi is ok. Ellerbe has been below average, but may be salvagable. If we benched Wheeler tomorrow, and had Jordan and Jenkins split time at his position, I don't think we'd be any worse, and would possibly be better. You have to keep in mind that we wanted blitzing linebackers, and as a result, we've sacrificed instincts, coverage ability, and tackling.

    The idea behind making the switch was that it would help against Brady, and maybe it does. But it hurts us in too many other games.

    The other big issue we've got is in the secondary. Our draft picks aren't playing at corner, and so we've got Carroll on the field, when he really should be a dime back/ST only. Jones is under performing, and Clemons is the average complimentary player we though he was.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -15
    Atila - the freshmaker.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    3,169
    vCash:
    4971
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This thread is so off base... our defense has been pretty damn solid this season. We are CONSTANTLY playing from behind and CONSTANTLY having to attack on the defensive side of the ball. Imagine if we even had 1-2 games where our offense was getting a nice lead and the defense was allowed to pin their ears back?

    Every single game we are putting pressure on our D to have to make a big stop instead of getting anything done on offense. Just look at last week... in the first half the defense set up our offense on Carolina's side of the 50 THREE times... and we got 6 total points from it... that game shouldn't have come down to the final drive, our defense had given up 13 points all game AND put our offense in a position to score a lot of points...

    This defense has been causing turnovers, been great against the pass, and strong up front. If we had even an average offense, you'd see how much better our defense would look.


    www.DiamondandDesign.com
    Quote Quote  

  6. -16
    spiketex's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    3,289
    vCash:
    9123
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Egnew the GOAT View Post
    Im saying Wheeler is bad. Ellerbe has underperformed, and Koa Misi isnt good.

    So basically... yes.
    I seem to recall that CK immediately flagged his concerns re Wheeler's coverage skills, upon his top $ signing as a free agent. After 11 games, we look perplexed and hope that he will get better, but this looks like a major preventable bust. Ireland had some FA wins in Grimes and Gibson, but he should be accountable for the expensive busts as well. It would be interesting to know how much Philbin/Coyle were involved in stating what they wanted from the LBs. If they lobbied hard for blitzing LBs like Wheeler, Ireland may have a scapegoat, that he was trying to get what the Defensive Coordinator said he needed. At any rate, if CK knew they likely issue, Ireland should have known it as well.

    BTW - we agree to disagree re Koa Misi. I see a player who has steadily improved. I don't think he's a problem.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -17
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2004
    Posts:
    243
    vCash:
    1269
    Loc:
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DANTODUPER View Post
    Hopefully we let both (Starks and Soliai go next year) and substitute them with cheaper same quality players until we hit one solid DT on the draft..
    Seriously ???? Let both go? We have two interior lineman that 85% of the league would kill for, and you think we should let them go. These guys are not the problem, they are studs. They are starting to get up there in years, but probably have two to three years left. Guys like this do not "grow on trees". They don't get the big stat lines, but we have two of the better ones in the league.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -18
    Atila - the freshmaker.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    3,169
    vCash:
    4971
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DANTODUPER View Post
    Ellerbe is not the problem, Wheeler, Misi, Clemons, Starks and Soliai are. Hopefully we let both (Starks and Soliai go next year) and substitute them with cheaper same quality players until we hit one solid DT on the draft. I believe on Ofense we only need a power running back and a good RT. But on defense we need lots of help; SS, 2OLB, 2DT and a healthy CB.
    It's post like this and the OP that remind me that most people don't have a clue about what they see on the field.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -19
    Buddy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    2,671
    vCash:
    6505
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Atila View Post
    This thread is so off base... our defense has been pretty damn solid this season. We are CONSTANTLY playing from behind and CONSTANTLY having to attack on the defensive side of the ball. Imagine if we even had 1-2 games where our offense was getting a nice lead and the defense was allowed to pin their ears back?

    Every single game we are putting pressure on our D to have to make a big stop instead of getting anything done on offense. Just look at last week... in the first half the defense set up our offense on Carolina's side of the 50 THREE times... and we got 6 total points from it... that game shouldn't have come down to the final drive, our defense had given up 13 points all game AND put our offense in a position to score a lot of points...

    This defense has been causing turnovers, been great against the pass, and strong up front. If we had even an average offense, you'd see how much better our defense would look.
    I would have to agree with you pretty much entirely. Good post.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

  10. -20
    cullenbigcstill's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    706
    vCash:
    3071
    Loc:
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This defense would be close to elite if the offense could sustain a drive. The D gets worn out from being on the field and in the second half we get ran on bad.

    Wheeler is terrible but we don't have anyone who's better. Those of you who don't see Misi as a strong LBer need to reevaluate that or need to educate yourself. He's not a quick twitch athlete, but he is strong, very good tackler, sheds blocks, can read and react.

    If the offense could sustain drives in the second half, the defense would be capable if performing into the fourth quarter. Our red zone defense has been putrid because of this as well as 4 th quarter defense. Have we stopped any game winning drives in the last month?
    "Hit Hard, Hit Fast and Hit Often!"
    -Admiral "Bull" Halsey


    Most of the all, the single most important criteria we must strive for is to bring impact players at impact positions to impact our seasons so that we can impact the post season!
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 10:37 PM
  2. Dolphins defense tops Ryans Jets defense
    By Fins1971 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 12-14-2010, 11:31 AM
  3. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 07:58 PM
  4. Replies: 58
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 10:52 AM
  5. 2002 Buccaneers defense compared to 2003 Dolphins defense
    By Gonk in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-19-2003, 11:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •