Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do people think of Blake Bortles?

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

What do people think of Blake Bortles?

Im not sure if he is coming out this year due to it being a crowded QB year, but if we could get him in the 2nd or 3rd (if he gets a 2nd or 3rd rating this year he wont come out) I think you give him a shot to give tannehill some competition...

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    No way I'm burning a draft pick on a QB in the first 3-4 rounds. People need to come to terms to the fact that we've found our QB, I know we don't know what one looks like anymore but we have one. So lets move on.

As for Bortles I am a very big fan. I think he can be a solid starter in the league, he's in that Big Ben, Luck sort of mold size wise and the way he works in the pocket. He doesn't throw the prettiest ball, but he goes through his progressions well and finds the open guy. He's an interesting guy, another team can draft him tho unless he falls into the 4th or 5th range which I can't see happening.

Sign: Daryn Colledge
    Draft: 1. LB Ryan Shazier 2. OL Joel Bitonio 3. WR Donte Moncrief 4. OL Brandon Thomas 5. OT Laurent Duvernay Tardif 6. RB Bo Oliver 7. TBD

LT Albert LG Smith C Pouncey RG Colledge RT Bitonio
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Reading Is Fundamental

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    No thanks but I'll take his girlfriend for $1000 Alex.....
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    You guys make me nervous...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greenville, MS
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If we could get him in the third i'd take him, but if I were GM I'd take a qb every year. All we'd have to do was f up and get lucky one time and we could trade one of two franchise qbs and set this team up for a lot of future success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
    We don't need Vick. Tannehill is already the best ever.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bortles is going to be one of the biggest risers in this draft, wouldn't be shocked if he is a first rounder. He has a lot of tools NFL scout will love, he is big,has decent speed for his size, has an ok arm, and is athletic enough to extend the play.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Bortles is going to be one of the biggest risers in this draft, wouldn't be shocked if he is a first rounder. He has a lot of tools NFL scout will love, he is big,has decent speed for his size, has an ok arm, and is athletic enough to extend the play.
    Honestly I've been looking around at reports and have to agree. Could wind up being a top 20 pick and the more I watch the more I like (for another team anyway).
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Saw Bortles in person and was very impressed. If he's around in the third round I'll be shocked.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He's going to be a high 1st round pick. I've had him second only to Teddy Bridgewater since around early October once I finally got a good look at him.

Brian Griese recently revealed during one of UCF's games that he's aware of several teams that actually have Bortles above Bridgewater as the #1 QB in the Draft. Bortles' people believe the chances are about 70/30 that he comes out. I believe he's got his degree already so there's no real reason for him to stay unless he feels UCF can actually compete for a BCS Championship which I doubt. They're going to a BCS game. For that program, that's probably as good as it gets for now.

I spoke to one person who is friends with the former baseball coach of Bortles and Jeff Driskel. Said that when it came to crunch moments in the game Bortles would always come through, while Driskel would always fall apart. I think that shows in his game as a quarterback too. He's a clutch player. You see him interviewed and he's also a man. There's no boy in him. He's a mature leader. He can take a beating on the field. He never feels physically overwhelmed even if he's up against the most fearsome defensive lineman in the college game (Clowney).

Aside from playing well in clutch moments, the second thing he does (and this is something that should become obvious to whoever watches him) is he's about as good with pressure in the pocket as you're going to get on a guy that isn't Cam Newton-esque. He's pretty much Andrew Luck, the spitting image of Andrew when it comes to his elusiveness and ability to work the pocket against pressure. To make matters better he's extremely accurate throwing while rolling to his right or especially his left against his body. It's fun to watch.

Very smart guy, field commander in charge of the offense. Knows when to check it down and has a feel for when to attack deep. Processes a lot of information on the field and is able to make use of a lot of the weapons at his disposal including his face fundamentals (eyes, head, shoulders, etc). He's a natural with misdirection stuff.

Accuracy can be an issue at times (ball placement) because he has a tendency to throw off his back foot unnecessarily. He needs to clean up his lower body mechanics and make them consistent. Be Tom Brady. Be Drew Brees. Be Peyton Manning. Also he can kind of live and die by the sword sometimes when it comes to his tendency to use his eyes to draw defenders away from his target. He'll click back to his target and throw the ball before seeing if the way is clear.

He's not really a concern for Miami fans. He's going to go high and Miami is going to continue with Ryan Tannehill.

Jimmy Garoppolo will be the next guy to come out of "nowhere" and go hot in the media circuits.
    Last edited by ckparrothead; 12-13-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Sink or Swim, Fin Fan 4 Life

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Xbox LogoPlaystation LogoNintendo LogoSnakes!Dolphins Homer
    Wow. Here's a poster I have seen in, what, months?
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tonight on ESPN2 we are going to get a chance to look at Jimmy Garoppolo on national television as he's playing in the FCS quarterfinals against Towson. As I said I believe this guy will start to get a little hot in the media circuits in the coming months.

This will be a good chance for most of the country to get their first look at Garoppolo and I hope he does not disappoint. Thus far in the playoffs he's been 43 of 72 for 717 yards, 9 TDs and 1 INT...with 6 runs for 16 yards and 2 sacks for -13 yards. No fumbles.

The keys to watch for are:

- Garoppolo's feet and total package of footwork which I think compares with a welterweight boxing champ
    - Garoppolo's quick arm release which combined with his feet makes him a very quick passer
    - Garoppolo's accuracy which tends to be very good
    - Garropolo's decision making which also tends to be very good
    - Garropolo's pocket presence under duress which is something I'm still not totally sure about yet
    - Garoppolo's arm strength which I don't think is really great and compares to a Matt Moore
    - Head coach Dino Babers' offense which is just DAMN fun to watch and has Art Briles' fingerprints all over it

I know it's easy to dismiss FCS teams but these are teams that went over to the FBS level this year and embarrassed some of those FBS teams. Eastern Illinois doused San Diego State 40-19, and then got into a 43-39 shootout with Northern Illinois (Jordan Lynch's team). Towson beat Connecticut 33-18.
    Quote Quote