Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 20 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Dynasty star anti-gay remarks

1. -1
    Wort-wort-wort!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Xbox LogoHalo LegendaryGalactic Empire medalPlaystation LogoNintendo Logo

Duck Dynasty star anti-gay remarks

Not sure who has all seen this, but to me it is getting blown out of proportion. For whatever reason people are turning this into a freedom of speech issue. Here is the comment in question from a GQ interview

ďIt seems like, to me, a vagina -- as a man -- would be more desirable than a manís anus," Robertson told GQ. "Thatís just me. Iím just thinking: Thereís more there! Sheís got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what Iím saying? But hey, sin: Itís not logical, my man. Itís just not logical.Ē
    ďEverything is blurred on whatís right and whatís wrong. Sin becomes fine," he later added. ďStart with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men. Donít be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers -- they wonít inherit the kingdom of God. Donít deceive yourself. Itís not right.Ē
    After that statement A&E had him issue another statement later in the day (damage control):

ďI myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.Ē
    Here is the source for the above material: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4465564.html

Now he has been suspended from the Duck Dynasty show.

I personally think this has gotten blown out of proportion. Facebook has already blown up with people crying foul. To me this is just comment of a ignorant man, that uses religion as a shield for his beliefs, that forgets he is a public figure. People are saying that A&E is impeding on his First Amendment rights because they suspended him from the show. I on the other hand think A&E is trying to prevent any backlash coming back on them, and in the extreme case, some sort of lawsuit (even though I know that is far fetched idea).

I think the only reason why people are butt hurt over this is because the Robertsons are so well liked. I have a feeling that if someone like Kanye West, who has let his mouth overload his ass as of late, said something like this people would want him strung up for it.

Anyway, what say you?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that comprise the Bill of Rights.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_A...s_Constitution

People have the ability to say whatever they want, but that doesnt mean there are no consequences. "Freedom of speech" protects people from government censorship. It does not protect people from being slammed for their idiotic opinions. A&E does not want to pay a bigot hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars. I cant blame them.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered

#freespesh. Because HIPAA
    http://www.finheaven.com/showthread....e-Recap-Thread
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    He has a right to say whatever he wants, but he does not have the right to work wherever he wants. If his employers want to suspend him then they're within their right to do that. It is not a freedom of speech issue.

That said, he deserves every bit of vitriol that may come his way. That's some pretty nasty hate-speech right there. It's also disappointing to see that biblically licensed hate towards homosexuals is still somewhat tolerated in this country. I hope that guy takes all the weird decrees in the bible equally seriously as he does the homosexual one. Like not wearing clothes made from two different types of thread... or is that one just too inconvenient to follow?
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Wait... get some perspective, this stems from an interview and they were asking him about his beliefs, he's Christian, he's from the south, and he answered an interview question with his honest feelings on the subject. This doesn't mean he hates gays, this doesn't mean he treats them differently. it just means according to his faith he thinks they are sinners.

Once again if you want to treat people equally, you shouldn't punish people for their opinions, only their actions. I'm sure there will be people coming forward to say how he wouldn't hire them to work for his business because they were gay, but until you can show me where he has mistreated anyone, then this is utter and total bull****.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Whenever someone is against homosexuality or gay marriage why is their first comparison always to bestiality? Seriously every single time I read something like this bestiality always comes up in comparison.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhankey81701 View Post
    Whenever someone is against homosexuality or gay marriage why is their first comparison always to bestiality? Seriously every single time I read something like this bestiality always comes up in comparison.
    Joe Philbin's fault.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I'll give credit to whoever wrote the bible for picking an easy target. Prejudice towards sexual orientation continues to be far more acceptable in most societies than prejudice towards race & things like that. Of course it also has it's gender biases:

Cor.14:34-35 "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. 35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church".

Timothy chapter 2 "Also that women should adorn themselves modestly and sensibly in seemly apparel, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly attire but by good deeds, as befits women who profess religion. Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent." ...etc.

Yet somehow I think if he echoed those sexist sentiments people would be less willing to excuse it as "He's just religious and from the south!".
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    Wait... get some perspective, this stems from an interview and they were asking him about his beliefs, he's Christian, he's from the south, and he answered an interview question with his honest feelings on the subject. This doesn't mean he hates gays, this doesn't mean he treats them differently. it just means according to his faith he thinks they are sinners.

Once again if you want to treat people equally, you shouldn't punish people for their opinions, only their actions. I'm sure there will be people coming forward to say how he wouldn't hire them to work for his business because they were gay, but until you can show me where he has mistreated anyone, then this is utter and total bull****.
    You may think otherwise, Bill, but I don't believe Homosexuality is a choice. To me it's no different than saying someone is a sinner for the color of the skin they were born with. I'm sure you would have no problem if someone was suspended from their place of employment for saying that it's a sin to be black -- even if that was their 'religious' beliefs.

As Hankey pointed out, I'm also sure it must be very insulting to the gay community to keep having people insinuate that Homosexuality is a hop, skip, and a jump away from Bestiality.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    You may think otherwise, Bill, but I don't believe Homosexuality is a choice. To me it's no different than saying someone is a sinner for the color of the skin they were born with. I'm sure you would have no problem if someone was suspended from their place of employment for saying that it's a sin to be black -- even if that was their 'religious' beliefs.

As Hankey pointed out, I'm also sure it must be very insulting to the gay community to keep having people insinuate that Homosexuality is a hop, skip, and a jump away from Beastiality.
    Rob I didn't read where he said homosexuality leads to bestiality. He said it was a sin. and proceeded to name other things he considered a sin. If he's a traditionalist, then he believes all sin is created equal. the other thing he should believe then, is that everyone sins. We're all sinners Rob. He's no more saying that a homosexual is equal to or greater than sin than bestiality, any more than he would say if you cheat on your wife, you're going to sleep with a cow.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    Rob I didn't read where he said homosexuality leads to bestiality. He said it was a sin. and proceeded to name other things he considered a sin. If he's a traditionalist, then he believes all sin is created equal. the other thing he should believe then, is that everyone sins. We're all sinners Rob. He's no more saying that a homosexual is equal to or greater than sin than bestiality, any more than he would say if you cheat on your wife, you're going to sleep with a cow.
    Well, you're right in that he doesn't say it directly leads to bestiality. You'll have to forgive my confusion, because it's literally the first example of sin he uses after Homosexuality. I might've just been reading a little bit between the lines.

Anyway, be that as it may, it still doesn't answer the question of whether or not you believe it's okay to classify someone as a sinner for something they have no control over. You can choose to be an adulterer, you can choose to be a glutton, but I don't think you get to choose your sexual orientation.

I'll throw you a hypothetical. Lets say you were an executive on the network who ran that show, or any popular show I guess, and one of your actors said that, according to his 'religious' beliefs, it's a sin to be black. What do ya' do? I think it's obvious.

Typically, save for extreme cases, I'm not a big fan of firing someone for their opinions outside of work. I'm not happy they suspended him, but I can certainly understand why they would do it. I personally would just like to see the ratings decide whether people want to watch this a-hole or not. I do remember that you didn't seem to have a problem with ESPN canning Rob Parker for questioning RG3's "blackness", for lack of a better word.
    Quote Quote