Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Dynasty star anti-gay remarks

1. -11
    Wort-wort-wort!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Halo LegendaryGalactic Empire medalXbox LogoPlaystation LogoNintendo Logo
    You know, after reading the comments, it makes you wonder. How much of his off the wall statements are omitted from the series? I wouldn't be shocked if cutting room floor footage surfaces in the near future.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Well, you're right in that he doesn't say it directly leads to bestiality. You'll have to forgive my confusion, because it's literally the first example of sin he uses after Homosexuality. I might've just been reading a little bit between the lines.

Anyway, be that as it may, it still doesn't answer the question of whether or not you believe it's okay to classify someone as a sinner for something they have no control over. You can choose to be an adulterer, you can choose to be a glutton, but I don't think you get to choose your sexual orientation.

I'll throw you a hypothetical. Lets say you were an executive on the network who ran that show, or any popular show I guess, and one of your actors said that, according to his 'religious' beliefs, it's a sin to be black. What do ya' do? I think it's obvious.

Typically, save for extreme cases, I'm not a big fan of firing someone for their opinions outside of work. I'm not happy they suspended him, but I can certainly understand why they would do it. I personally would just like to see the ratings decide whether people want to watch this a-hole or not. I do remember that you didn't seem to have a problem with ESPN canning Rob Parker for questioning RG3's "blackness", for lack of a better word.
    my Personal opinions on the matter have evolved over time. A reasonable person should be able to start at point A.) have a discussion, consider new information and form a new opinion or confirm their previous stance.

If we're talking about my personal opinion I think someone is born a certain way. Some people can be skinny without any work, others have to work at staying in shape. Some are born to be alcoholics, others can go years without drinking, and not miss it at all.

Here's the part where I have a problem. I clearly want to see everyone treated equally, a person should be allowed to say they don't agree with homosexuality, due to their beliefs. At the same time, that doesn't give them a right to abuse a gay man.

Believe what you want, but treat everyone equally.

Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DisturbedShifty View Post
    You know, after reading the comments, it makes you wonder. How much of his off the wall statements are omitted from the series? I wouldn't be shocked if cutting room floor footage surfaces in the near future.
    Maybe so.
    I hope not though. Just funny, when you base a major portion of your programming around rednecks, just surprising that people are shocked. Anyway Paula Dean is so yesterday right?
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    Here's the part where I have a problem. I clearly want to see everyone treated equally, a person should be allowed to say they don't agree with homosexuality, due to their beliefs.
    This is sort of a micro point, but I've never understood the phrase "I don't agree with homosexuality". I don't think the word "agree" is the appropriate choice. A more appropriate phrase might just be "I don't like homosexuality", because homosexuality exists regardless. It doesn't need to be agreed with. To me, it's the equivalent of saying you don't 'agree' with waterfalls, or candy bars.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    This is sort of a micro point, but I've never understood the phrase "I don't agree with homosexuality". I don't think the word "agree" is the appropriate choice. A more appropriate phrase might just be "I don't like homosexuality", because homosexuality exists regardless. It doesn't need to be agreed with. To me, it's the equivalent of saying you don't 'agree' with waterfalls, or candy bars.
    well it's a soften the blow PC wording. Really what someone means when they say they don't agree with it, is that there is no way they want to suck ****, or **** a dude in the ass or get ****ed in the ass etc etc. rather than saying that out loud, it's more polite to say they dont' agree with it.

Now me, I don't care what two men do in a bed together, but give me to decent looking women? I want them to live in a glass house.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Follow the money. That's the only thing at play here. Now why would A&E care that this guy made some ignorant remarks? Because advertisers are going to pull their ads from the show, which means A&E is losing money. People think it's A&E being liberal, or anti-Christian, or blah blah blah. It has nothing to do with any of that. Very few companies want to be identified as being in support one way or another on partisan issues. The second someone publicly declares a position on something like this, then anyone who is advertising with them is also considered in support of that view, rightly or wrongly. You'll gain some and lose some customers depending on what your views are, or you can put out the illusion of neutrality and leave yourself open to the entire customer base. It's as simple as that. This guy said something divisive, A&E knows that by not doing they are de facto agreeing with him, so they take swift action. Now A&E remains neutral, their advertisers can continue paying for their spots on the channel, and the money is more or less untouched. It's as simple as that. Capitalism baby...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    well it's a soften the blow PC wording. Really what someone means when they say they don't agree with it, is that there is no way they want to suck ****, or **** a dude in the ass or get ****ed in the ass etc etc. rather than saying that out loud, it's more polite to say they dont' agree with it.

Now me, I don't care what two men do in a bed together, but give me to decent looking women? I want them to live in a glass house.
    Uh, what? I don't want to suck dick either, but I wouldn't say "I don't agree with homosexuality", I'd just say 'I'm not gay'. I've never heard anyone use it in that context.

That's not the context most people use it in. Even in the post I quoted, you phrased it like "a person should be allowed to say they don't agree with homosexuality, due to their beliefs". I'm assuming you like don't girls just because the Bible told you to.

It is a 'blow softener' as you put it, but not for "I'm not gay" (which is not offensive). It's simply a softer phrase for "I don't like gays".
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Sums it up.

I would add that vagina is awesome by the way.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    703 Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by DisturbedShifty View Post
    Not sure who has all seen this, but to me it is getting blown out of proportion. For whatever reason people are turning this into a freedom of speech issue. Here is the comment in question from a GQ interview

After that statement A&E had him issue another statement later in the day (damage control):

Here is the source for the above material: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4465564.html

Now he has been suspended from the Duck Dynasty show.

I personally think this has gotten blown out of proportion. Facebook has already blown up with people crying foul. To me this is just comment of a ignorant man, that uses religion as a shield for his beliefs, that forgets he is a public figure. People are saying that A&E is impeding on his First Amendment rights because they suspended him from the show. I on the other hand think A&E is trying to prevent any backlash coming back on them, and in the extreme case, some sort of lawsuit (even though I know that is far fetched idea).

I think the only reason why people are butt hurt over this is because the Robertsons are so well liked. I have a feeling that if someone like Kanye West, who has let his mouth overload his ass as of late, said something like this people would want him strung up for it.

Anyway, what say you?
    It seems to be the Facebook topic of the day namely from some of my Republican pals. I've never seen the show. I don't watch reality TV. It's funny that people seem to say him getting suspended is bull**** b/c he should be entitled to free speech.

What I don't get is why people don't realize that A&E has the right to let his ass go whenever they want to. Rights are rights.

Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I mean really.....who cares what a redneck, deer hunting wearing, duck call maker, thinks about gay people??

Unless he's the president of GLAAD, I really don't see the connection or the reason to be fired besides political correct BS. By firing him A&E will only make this show even more popular and add even more ratings (Wait a minute).
    Quote Quote