Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Dynasty star anti-gay remarks

1. -21
    Like me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    Wait... get some perspective, this stems from an interview and they were asking him about his beliefs, he's Christian, he's from the south, and he answered an interview question with his honest feelings on the subject. This doesn't mean he hates gays, this doesn't mean he treats them differently. it just means according to his faith he thinks they are sinners.

Once again if you want to treat people equally, you shouldn't punish people for their opinions, only their actions. I'm sure there will be people coming forward to say how he wouldn't hire them to work for his business because they were gay, but until you can show me where he has mistreated anyone, then this is utter and total bull****.
    Bill, let me give you some ground rules for how things work in 2013 and FH POFO.
    You can be proud of your sexual orientation. Unless you are heterosexual.
    You can be proud of your religion . Unless your Christian.
    country/ American
    Race/ White.
    Politics/Conservative
    But if you can somehow become a left handed Vietnamese Muslim lesbian with an EBT card and an Obama phone then you can say or do anything.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Like me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Follow the money. That's the only thing at play here. Now why would A&E care that this guy made some ignorant remarks? Because advertisers are going to pull their ads from the show, which means A&E is losing money. People think it's A&E being liberal, or anti-Christian, or blah blah blah. It has nothing to do with any of that. Very few companies want to be identified as being in support one way or another on partisan issues. The second someone publicly declares a position on something like this, then anyone who is advertising with them is also considered in support of that view, rightly or wrongly. You'll gain some and lose some customers depending on what your views are, or you can put out the illusion of neutrality and leave yourself open to the entire customer base. It's as simple as that. This guy said something divisive, A&E knows that by not doing they are de facto agreeing with him, so they take swift action. Now A&E remains neutral, their advertisers can continue paying for their spots on the channel, and the money is more or less untouched. It's as simple as that. Capitalism baby...
    Check the Chick-Filet business plan.
    More people are talking about this show now than ever.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Uh, what? I don't want to suck dick either, but I wouldn't say "I don't agree with homosexuality", I'd just say 'I'm not gay'. I've never heard anyone use it in that context.

That's not the context most people use it in. Even in the post I quoted, you phrased it like "a person should be allowed to say they don't agree with homosexuality, due to their beliefs". I'm assuming you like don't girls just because the Bible told you to.

It is a 'blow softener' as you put it, but not for "I'm not gay" (which is not offensive). It's simply a softer phrase for "I don't like gays".
    you asked me why, I told you why. Not sure I need you to agree with my reasoning or why I think things work like they do. I guess if you had my background and we had a bit more in common than working here at finheaven, you might understand why I've formed my opinion about things. Otherwise, it almost seems like you just waiting for a small misstep in the way I respond to find a reason to become indignant.

Quote Quote  

4. -24
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYHEM View Post
    Bill, let me give you some ground rules for how things work in 2013 and FH POFO.
    country/ American
    Race/ White.
    Politics/Conservative
    But if you can somehow become a left handed Vietnamese Muslim lesbian with an EBT card and an Obama phone then you can say or do anything.
    Go and cry some more. This whole majority playing the victim is beyond old and tired. It riles up your fellow neo-cons, but anyone with half a brain sees it for what it is. Oh no, we can't suppress or outright discriminate, we're being opressed! Idiotic...

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Check the Chick-Filet business plan.
    More people are talking about this show now than ever.
    Chick Filet did everything they could do to distance themselves from their CEO's remarks. And you missed the entirety of my point if you're harping on how many people are watching the show...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    you asked me why, I told you why. Not sure I need you to agree with my reasoning or why I think things work like they do. I guess if you had my background and we had a bit more in common than working here at finheaven, you might understand why I've formed my opinion about things. Otherwise, it almost seems like you just waiting for a small misstep in the way I respond to find a reason to become indignant.
    Not sure how you think I'm being indignant. My original observation about the phrase was more of a rhetorical question, really. I already knew that the phrase was a PC way of saying "I don't like gays". I was, however, taken aback at your response that you believe it's equal to "I'm not gay". I've never heard anyone use it in that context.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    country/ American
    Race/ White.
    Politics/Conservative
    That is freaking outstanding!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Like me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Go and cry some more. This whole majority playing the victim is beyond old and tired. It riles up your fellow neo-cons, but anyone with half a brain sees it for what it is. Oh no, we can't suppress or outright discriminate, we're being opressed! Idiotic...

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Chick Filet did everything they could do to distance themselves from their CEO's remarks. And you missed the entirety of my point if you're harping on how many people are watching the show...
    It is easy to see when someone has no facts to work with, They resort to personal attacks.
    Neo cons that is offensive.
    Cry ? Not me.
    Half a brain ? Another personal attack.
    Idiotic ? Thank you for presenting facts. Next time you might have some.
    By the way, In this country the majority rules.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I can assuredly say that the Conservative WASP is no longer the majority, not even close. If they were, we wouldn't have the president or senate that we do. It is very easy to sit on your perch and claim that no one discriminates against or harasses said Conservative WASPs because you aren't conservative, Anglo Saxon, or Protestant. I think you are part Arab or Palestinian so I am not even sure if you consider yourself white.

There were a lot of people who really believed blacks weren't discriminated against years ago and they were wrong too. People are just exemplifying human nature...they only recognize inequality and injustice when they are on the short end of the stick.

Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've never seen an episode of Duck Dynasty and have on interest in seeing it. My parents love the show. As a life long Christian here are my feelings:

He said that homosexuality is a sin. That's what I believe as well (the Bible makes that pretty clear and Jesus backed up that notion by stating that marriage is between a man and a woman only). It shouldn't be surprising to anyone that the DD guy believes this way. Where he got into trouble is getting off on a tangent talking about body cavities and then the remark about African Americans pre civil rights (that was far worse than anything he said about gays). Believing that homosexuality is a sin is not homophobia. I'm not homophobic and have no ill will towards gays. They're sinners just like me and you (or someone that cheats on their spouse or steals from their work, etc). Through out my life I've known several gays and have worked closely with a few and never felt uncomfortable.

Modern Christianity has kind of singled out homosexuality and demonized it at a higher order than other sins. It's a sin no worse and no less than any other sin. Also modern Christianity has made homosexuality into a "choice". I don't think it's quite that simple. Acting on your homosexual feelings is a choice, but having those feelings is not. I think homosexuality is best described as a "proclivity" akin to BDSM or some other paraphillia.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    I've never seen an episode of Duck Dynasty and have on interest in seeing it. My parents love the show. As a life long Christian here are my feelings:

He said that homosexuality is a sin. That's what I believe as well (the Bible makes that pretty clear and Jesus backed up that notion by stating that marriage is between a man and a woman only). It shouldn't be surprising to anyone that the DD guy believes this way. Where he got into trouble is getting off on a tangent talking about body cavities and then the remark about African Americans pre civil rights (that was far worse than anything he said about gays). Believing that homosexuality is a sin is not homophobia. I'm not homophobic and have no ill will towards gays. They're sinners just like me and you (or someone that cheats on their spouse or steals from their work, etc). Through out my life I've known several gays and have worked closely with a few and never felt uncomfortable.

Modern Christianity has kind of singled out homosexuality and demonized it at a higher order than other sins. It's a sin no worse and no less than any other sin. Also modern Christianity has made homosexuality into a "choice". I don't think it's quite that simple. Acting on your homosexual feelings is a choice, but having those feelings is not. I think homosexuality is best described as a "proclivity" akin to BDSM or some other paraphillia.
    This pretty much nails it for me. I have even gone and told the leaders of my church that singling out homosexuality is ridiculous as it didn't even make the top 10 (Commandments). Why they have chosen homosexuality as their poster sin, I have no idea.

Regardless, I do think that conservative Christian values, the ones that the United States was founded on, are under full-blown attack right now. Tolerance of one's lifestyle does not mean openly accepting or agreeing with their lifestyle. Muslims, Jews, and a lot of other groups and religions also disagree with homosexuality but they aren't singled out like Christians. This is a clear case of being crucified for merely being tolerant and not agreeing. A&E has the right to suspend him and they will have to accept the consequences just like the DD guy will for his remarks. Apparently, the gay demographic is more important to them than the redneck demographic...not really surprising.

Quote Quote