Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Dynasty star anti-gay remarks

1. -31
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    This pretty much nails it for me. I have even gone and told the leaders of my church that singling out homosexuality is ridiculous as it didn't even make the top 10 (Commandments). Why they have chosen homosexuality as their poster sin, I have no idea.

Regardless, I do think that conservative Christian values, the ones that the United States was founded on, are under full-blown attack right now. Tolerance of one's lifestyle does not mean openly accepting or agreeing with their lifestyle. Muslims, Jews, and a lot of other groups and religions also disagree with homosexuality but they aren't singled out like Christians. This is a clear case of being crucified for merely being tolerant and not agreeing. A&E has the right to suspend him and they will have to accept the consequences just like the DD guy will for his remarks. Apparently, the gay demographic is more important to them than the redneck demographic...not really surprising.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Political correctness has done a very bad thing in this country: equated tolerance with acceptance. Tolerance IS NOT acceptance. Another person can practice whatever religion that they want, but that doesn't mean I have to accept their beliefs as equally valid as my own. Just because I (or the Duck Dynasty guy) think that homosexuality is a sin doesn't mean I'm a homophobe. Gays can love whomever they want but that doesn't mean I have to think that's ok.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

2. -32
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I can assuredly say that the Conservative WASP is no longer the majority, not even close. If they were, we wouldn't have the president or senate that we do. It is very easy to sit on your perch and claim that no one discriminates against or harasses said Conservative WASPs because you aren't conservative, Anglo Saxon, or Protestant. I think you are part Arab or Palestinian so I am not even sure if you consider yourself white.

There were a lot of people who really believed blacks weren't discriminated against years ago and they were wrong too. People are just exemplifying human nature...they only recognize inequality and injustice when they are on the short end of the stick.

The WASP may not be, but whites are still the majority and its not even close. Straights are still the majority and it's not even close. Christians are still the majority and it's not even close. Pay disparities between whites and minorities still exist. Pay disparities between men and women still exist. Gays and lesbians still can't marry in the majority of the country. Where is this discrimination you're referring to? You show me a white guy who can walk down a street and have some pretty young girl grab her beau a little tighter until he passes. I can't go a week without that happening.

You are overgeneralizing based on media reports that are anything but scientific. Demographics are shifting, but they haven't shifted. I live in the only state in the country where non-whites outnumber whites. Guess what? We have a Republican governor. So honestly Buddy, I have no idea what you're talking about. I've seen links to clips and articles from Fox that talk about nonsense like the war on Christmas, the was on Christians, etc. But I've yet to actually see it.

But dear god, it's becoming trendy for those on the right to play the victim. Not you that I've ever seen, but we have MAYHEM here throwing his whole woe-is-me shtick around...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -33
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    Wait... get some perspective, this stems from an interview and they were asking him about his beliefs, he's Christian, he's from the south, and he answered an interview question with his honest feelings on the subject. This doesn't mean he hates gays, this doesn't mean he treats them differently. it just means according to his faith he thinks they are sinners.

Once again if you want to treat people equally, you shouldn't punish people for their opinions, only their actions. I'm sure there will be people coming forward to say how he wouldn't hire them to work for his business because they were gay, but until you can show me where he has mistreated anyone, then this is utter and total bull****.
    Opinions often lead to actions. Let's not pretend they don't.
    No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Uh, what? I don't want to suck dick either, but I wouldn't say "I don't agree with homosexuality", I'd just say 'I'm not gay'. I've never heard anyone use it in that context.

That's not the context most people use it in. Even in the post I quoted, you phrased it like "a person should be allowed to say they don't agree with homosexuality, due to their beliefs". I'm assuming you like don't girls just because the Bible told you to.

It is a 'blow softener' as you put it, but not for "I'm not gay" (which is not offensive). It's simply a softer phrase for "I don't like gays".
    To me "I don't agree with homosexuality" is not quite so much that "I don't like gays" -- people will always assure you they don't dislike any specific person because they're gay and they have gay friends and all of that -- it's more than they don't like that there are gays. Not that they want to exterminate them, just that it bothers them that they're a thing in the world.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 12-19-2013 at 11:41 PM.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If everyone got fired for something someone considered "offensive", especially when it has nothing to do with your job at all. Then we would all be on the dole. Once again I think this is all a distraction that's fast becoming the next circus show. I don't agree with his views and support equal rights 100%. However this whole thing is being WAY overblown. Who f***ing cares? A bible thumping redneck who wears deer camo thinks homosexuality is a sin and vagina is far more preferable than a man's a$$. I can easily say I agree with 50% of that statement.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    I've never seen an episode of Duck Dynasty and have on interest in seeing it. My parents love the show. As a life long Christian here are my feelings:

He said that homosexuality is a sin. That's what I believe as well (the Bible makes that pretty clear and Jesus backed up that notion by stating that marriage is between a man and a woman only). It shouldn't be surprising to anyone that the DD guy believes this way. Where he got into trouble is getting off on a tangent talking about body cavities and then the remark about African Americans pre civil rights (that was far worse than anything he said about gays). Believing that homosexuality is a sin is not homophobia. I'm not homophobic and have no ill will towards gays. They're sinners just like me and you (or someone that cheats on their spouse or steals from their work, etc). Through out my life I've known several gays and have worked closely with a few and never felt uncomfortable.

Modern Christianity has kind of singled out homosexuality and demonized it at a higher order than other sins. It's a sin no worse and no less than any other sin. Also modern Christianity has made homosexuality into a "choice". I don't think it's quite that simple. Acting on your homosexual feelings is a choice, but having those feelings is not. I think homosexuality is best described as a "proclivity" akin to BDSM or some other paraphillia.
    Yes, it is. You may not like the fact that holding that belief makes you homophobic -- it might make you angry because you're a nice guy and want everyone to think you're a nice guy -- but it's your belief. No one's making you believe it. You should take ownership of what it implies.

As rob has said and lots of other people including myself have said about Biblical morality -- the Bible says a lot of things you don't agree with. The wearing of clothes made of two different fabrics being immoral, for example, which rob pointed out. Or handling the skin of a pig and/or eating a pig. The acceptability of stoning rebellious children and/or genocide. There are at least a few dozen passages in the Bible that all sane people realize and accept are just daffy and they ignore them.

You are making an active choice to ignore those passages of the Bible and accept the passages about homosexuality. That says something about how you feel about gays. You might want to inquire into your own heart and conscience why you feel the need to try to hide these implications.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 12-20-2013 at 12:48 AM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    God bless Phil Robertson for being a godly man who is willing to stand for God and that which is right!

What he said about the abomination (as it is called in the Bible), is absolutely, positively, without question, 100% TRUE! Many simply refuse to believe it; however, they will be found wrong upon our Lord and Savior Jesus' return.
    1972 Miami Dolphins - "Perfection"
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    The WASP may not be, but whites are still the majority and its not even close. Straights are still the majority and it's not even close. Christians are still the majority and it's not even close. Pay disparities between whites and minorities still exist. Pay disparities between men and women still exist. Gays and lesbians still can't marry in the majority of the country. Where is this discrimination you're referring to? You show me a white guy who can walk down a street and have some pretty young girl grab her beau a little tighter until he passes. I can't go a week without that happening.

You are overgeneralizing based on media reports that are anything but scientific. Demographics are shifting, but they haven't shifted. I live in the only state in the country where non-whites outnumber whites. Guess what? We have a Republican governor. So honestly Buddy, I have no idea what you're talking about. I've seen links to clips and articles from Fox that talk about nonsense like the war on Christmas, the was on Christians, etc. But I've yet to actually see it.

But dear god, it's becoming trendy for those on the right to play the victim. Not you that I've ever seen, but we have MAYHEM here throwing his whole woe-is-me shtick around...
    You will pretty much never see me play the victim nor deny that minorities have been and still are discriminated against. What my point is though is that almost no one is singled out as being discriminatory or inflammatory in the public eye except Conservative WASPs though many people are, in fact, very discriminatory and inflammatory.

The downtrodden have become empowered and now want to inflict that which was inflicted upon them. They justify their actions by citing all of the wrongs done to their ancestors. They even coined a ridiculous term, reverse discrimination, that clearly implies that only the establishment can discriminate. Sorry, discrimination is discrimination and inflammatory is inflammatory...the race, religion, creed, etc. of the idiot spewing the garbage is completely irrelevant.

Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Yes, it is. You may not like the fact that holding that belief makes you homophobic -- it might make you angry because you're a nice guy and want everyone to think you're a nice guy -- but it's your belief. No one's making you believe it. You should take ownership of what it implies.

As rob has said and lots of other people including myself have said about Biblical morality -- the Bible says a lot of things you don't agree with. The wearing of clothes made of two different fabrics being imooral, for example, which rob pointed out. Or handling the skin of a pig and/or eating a pig. The acceptability of stoning rebellious children and/or genocide. There are at least a few dozen passages in the Bible that all sane people realize and accept are just daffy and they ignore them.

You are making an active choice to ignore those passages of the Bible and accept the passages about homosexuality. That says something about how you feel about gays. You might want to inquire into your own heart and conscience why you feel the need to try to hide these implications. Why it clearly bothers you.
    I don't want to get into a theological discussion in the PoFo but as is the usual with most people who don't understand the Bible, you're confusing Old Testament law set for Jews by God with God's definition of sin for everyone (Jews and gentiles alike). Jesus laid down the rules for Christians starting with the new testament. He changed the rules that needed changing, while leaving others alone. Jesus clearly stated that sex outside of marriage is a sin. He also clearly stated that marriage in God's eyes (not government's) is reserved for one man and one woman. That by definition makes homosexuality a sin.

And the definition of "homophobia" includes fear. It implies ill will or extreme disdain, of which I have none. But at the end of the day, if believing that homosexuality is a sin is homophobic, then I suppose I'm homophobic and I'm not going to apologize for that.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    I don't want to get into a theological discussion in the PoFo but as is the usual with most people who don't understand the Bible, you're confusing Old Testament law set for Jews by God with God's definition of sin for everyone (Jews and gentiles alike). Jesus laid down the rules for Christians starting with the new testament. He changed the rules that needed changing, while leaving others alone. Jesus clearly stated that sex outside of marriage is a sin. He also clearly stated that marriage in God's eyes (not government's) is reserved for one man and one woman. That by definition makes homosexuality a sin.

And the definition of "homophobia" includes fear. It implies ill will or extreme disdain, of which I have none. But at the end of the day, if believing that homosexuality is a sin is homophobic, then I suppose I'm homophobic and I'm not going to apologize for that.
    Changing the rules set down by an infallible God? You're going to have to explain that one.

Jesus did talk about a man and a woman. He was quoting Genesis, actually. He quoted the Old Testament often, and even said explicitly of himself that he wasn't there to get discard of the Old Testament. He was there to fulfill it. In other words, it still counts. And you and everyone else has to make choices about which parts of it -- and the New Testament, for that matter, it's hardly uncorrupted -- they accept. This whole thing where people throw up their hands as if they have no choice over what they believe is just so much passing the buck.

I mean, when you think about it, it's really quite incredible. Christians who made a choice to become Christians screaming about how persecuted they are as if they have no choice about their views ABOUT people who are born a certain way and therefore have literally no choice over who they are.

It's like a goddamn irony bomb.
    Quote Quote