Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Prospects

1. -91
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
    Do you think Easley makes it to the 3rd round?
    If he would not have gotten injured in his senior season, I think you are lookng at a top 20 pick. With the question of the injury, I can see him possibly dropping to the 2nd. If he were at our pick in the 3rd, I would jump for joy. He has not been on the field since his injury, but if he checks out medically and he is there in the 3rd - it would be a gift from God.
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

2. -92
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would be amazed to see him still there in the third. Tank Carradine was taken at pick 40. Easley, assuming his injury is healing properly, will go in the top 60 for sure.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

3. -93
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fin Thirteen View Post
    I would be amazed to see him still there in the third. Tank Carradine was taken at pick 40. Easley, assuming his injury is healing properly, will go in the top 60 for sure.
    I like Easley, but 2nd might be too rich for a team like Miami that has so many immediate needs. It could be a loaded squad like Seattle that takes him that high. The Seahawks can afford to take more risks.
    Quote Quote  

4. -94
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks

66.CB Marcus Roberson, Florida 6'0" 195

Analysis
    STRENGTHS:
    Good size and length for the position and uses his long arms to disrupt receivers. Fluid movement skills with quick feet and body control to blanket in coverage - smooth hips and balanced transition in bump-and-run.
    Good route anticipation and stays patient and controlled, but also the recovery quickness to take chances. Instinctive and alert to make positive plays on the ball. Barely gets lost with a good feel in coverage, understanding when to look for the ball.
    Very physical and fearless in coverage and aggressive in pursuit. Works hard to gain ideal body position and knows how to use the sideline. Excellent competitor and won't back down from bigger targets. Experience on special teams as a punt returner. Has worked hard to get stronger in the weight room.
    WEAKNESSES: Needs to improve his discipline in coverage - too much physical contact downfield. Will get lackadaisical at times with his technique and play too tall or get grabby. Has the read/react quickness to click-and-close in a hurry but needs to do it more consistently on underneath throws - will allow his hips to be turned too easily in bail technique.
    Needs to consistently wrap to finish hits and break down better in space - lack of strength shows vs. the run.
    Durability concerns after battling knee and ankle injuries over his career - missed five games in 2013. Character needs investigated after an alcohol arrest in Sept. 2011 and a one-game suspension in 2013 (vs. South Carolina) for a violation of team rules.
    COMPARES TO: Alterraun Verner, CB, Tennessee Titans - Like Verner, Roberson isn't the biggest or fastest, but they both use their length well and use foot quickness and instincts to be effective.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...arcus-roberson
    Last edited by DKphin; 02-25-2014 at 10:17 AM.
    Quote Quote  

5. -95
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks

67.QB Zach Mettenberger, Louisiana St. 6'5" 235

2013 ASSOCIATED PRESS ALL-SEC HONORABLE MENTION: Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU, 6-5, 235, Sr,...Mettenberger leads the SEC and ranks third nationally in passing efficiency at 171.4, and he also led the conference in passing yards per completion at 16.1. He ranks third in the league in passing yards with 3,082, becoming the third quarterback in LSU history to cross the 3,000-yard plateau in a season, joining Rohan Davey and JaMarcus Russell. Mettenberger finished the season 192-of-296 passing for 3,082 yards with 22 touchdowns and eight interceptions. - LSU football
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2014&genpos=qb

Analysis
    STRENGTHS:
    Tall, strong frame and looks the part. Good downfield vision with his stature. Strong arm to plant and fire, possessing rocket arm strength and plus velocity to deliver frozen ropes. Makes throws to the opposite hash look easy and trusts his arm. Balanced with good weight distribution in his release. Stands tall in the pocket and stares down the gun barrel. Keeps his eyes elevated and downfield to deliver in the face of pressure. Quicker eyes and timing to work through his progressions and make the best read. Improved patience to check down instead of forcing it. Very good anticipation and chemistry with his targets. Not afraid to throw it away if necessary. Boosted confidence in 2013 and came through in pressure situations where he faltered in 2012. Good placement to give his targets a chance and can take some off his fastball when needed. Not the most mobile, but not a statue. Not afraid to tuck and pick up chunks of yards with his legs. Gutsy competitor and coachable. Works hard to hone his craft. Improved production as a senior and showed better command of the position.

WEAKNESSES: Has some mobility, but also heavy-footed with lethargic movements and a sluggish set-up. Room to improve his pre-snap recognition and needs to better identify pressures to quicken his physical delivery and mental process. Needs to better feel blitz and show better awareness of his surroundings. Improved decision-making and confidence, but will still make some poor decisions and stare down reads. Bad habit of predetermining throws and needs to continue to develop his diverse reads. Some base issues, getting too wide or not always properly resetting once the pocket collapses. Accuracy drops when forced from his spot. Still learning touch and when to use his change-up or drive it. Benefited from a strong offensive line and above average targets at receiver. Quiet demeanor and needs to continue and develop his vocal leadership and command of the huddle. Durability concerns after suffering a torn ACL (left knee) in Dec. 2013, which could keep him from working out for teams prior to the NFL Draft. Strong off-field character concerns after a March 2010 arrest for sexual battery and alcohol consumption ? also has a history of recreational drug use and overall immaturity, but has grown and stayed clean the past two seasons at LSU.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...h-mettenberger
    Last edited by DKphin; 02-25-2014 at 10:17 AM.
    Quote Quote  

6. -96
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks

68.RB Tre Mason, Auburn 5'10" 205

Record-breaking sends Mason in search of NFL dream...Wearing an Auburn jacket and shirt and carrying an Auburn cap in his hand, running back Tre Mason said Thursday he will pursue his dream of playing in the NFL. Three days after he led Auburn to within 13 seconds of a national championship and minutes after meeting with Auburn coach Gus Malzahn, Mason said at a press conference that will declare for the NFL draft, passing up his senior season. "I want to start by telling the Auburn family I appreciate them and I love them," Mason said. "I loved playing for Coach Malzahn. We had the best year, a great time. He recruited me out of high school. This was a dream come true by coming to Auburn."

Mason finished his Auburn career in spectacular style, running 34 times for 195 yards in the BCS Championship Game. In the SEC Championship Game, he ran 40 times for 343 yards. He broke Bo Jackson's single-season record with 1816 rushing and broke the school record with 23 rushing touchdowns. Mason gained 1,002 yards last season on a team that struggled to score. For his career, he has 2,979 yards, the most after three seasons of any back in Auburn history. With 1:19 left in the BCS Championship Game at the Rose Bowl, Mason bolted 37 yards for a touchdown to give Auburn a 31-27 lead. But Florida State scored with 13 seconds left to snatch away the victory. It wasn't until that was done, Mason said, that he started to focus on whether to move on to the NFL.

Mason, who said he received a third-round grade from the NFL draft advisory board, said he leaned heavily on his family in making his decision. "My dad played a big role in this," Mason said. "The lifespan of a running back in the NFL is very short. I had a great year. Also Coach Malzahn helped in this decision. He said I had a very good year and he was expecting it." - Auburn football
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2015&genpos=RB

Auburn running back Tre Mason was named to a second-team All-American by USA Today on Wednesday.

MOBILE, Ala. -- For former Auburn running back Tre Mason, one question comes up whenever discussing his NFL potential: how will his lack of size translate to the next level?

Mason is listed at 5-foot-10 but is likely a few inches shorter. He became Auburn's workhorse under new coach Gus Malzahn in 2013, rushing for 1,816 yards and 23 touchdowns on 317 carries en route to being a Heisman Trophy finalist. But it was his last three games in which he amassed 663 yards that brought about the NFL buzz.

"He plays bigger than his listed size and finishes every run," Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage said.

Mason knows that the critics have questions about his size, and he addressed the issue when he initially declared for the draft.

"I guess they are just going to have to watch tape," Mason told reporters last month.

"I'm not afraid to put my nose in there and get dirty. I feel like I can run between the tackles and outside the tackles. I try to be very dynamic and run the ball in different ways."

One scout mentioned names like New Orleans Saints running back Darren Sproles and San Diego Chargers running back Danny Woodhead as players Mason should model himself after. Sproles, at 5-foot-6, and Woodhead, at 5-foot-8, both make a living on third down while occasionally running between the tackles.

"The way the running back position is going, most people are carving it up into different roles and I absolutely believe he can find a role in the NFL," Savage said.

Savage said Mason's lack of size won't be NFL teams biggest question when evaluating him for the draft.

"What he's going to have to prove in the spring," Savage said, "is his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and his ability to pass protect because you didn't get to see him do much of that in Auburn's system."

Mason had just 12 receptions for 163 yards and one touchdown reception.

No running back was taken in the first round of last year's draft, and Mason likely won't be the one to change that as he received a third round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory board.

While Mason isn't projected to be a first-round pick, some are still high on him.

NFL.com's Gil Brandt projects Mason to be the first running back taken in the draft.

Brandt is also a former NFL scout.

"In terms of skills, he doesn't have to improve anything," Brandt wrote in his evaluation of Mason.

"He can catch the ball really well, he's got good vision and he's tough. I believe he will be a real threat as a runner in the NFL.

"And he can also do a lot of other things for you, including returning kicks."

Mason returned 15 kickoffs for 395 yards, including a 100 yard touchdown return.
    Read more here: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2014/...#storylink=cpy
    Last edited by DKphin; 02-25-2014 at 10:18 AM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -97
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood,Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Did I miss Calvin Pryor?

Quote Quote  

8. -98
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiron View Post
    Did I miss Calvin Pryor?

No. I just have not got to him yet, but he will be on the list.
    Quote Quote  

9. -99
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks

69.TE Troy Niklas, Notre Dame 6'7" 270

Notre Dame tight end Troy Niklas will skip his senior season and enter the NFL draft, the fourth Irish player to announce he is leaving with a year of eligibility left. Michael Bertsch, Notre Dame's director of football media relations, confirmed on Friday the 6-foot-7, 270-pound junior from Fullerton, Calif., has informed coach Brian Kelly of his decision. "I have made the very difficult decision to pursue my childhood dream," Niklas said in a statement. He intends to return to Notre Dame and earn his degree.

Niklas started all 13 games for the Irish and was third on the team in receiving with 32 catches for 498 yards and five touchdowns. Niklas is the fourth Irish player with eligibility left to declare for this year's draft. He joins defensive linemen Louis Nix III and Stephon Tuitt and running back George Atkinson III. Niklas, Tuitt and Atkinson are all leaving after just three years at Notre Dame, which nearly doubles since 1995 the number of Irish players who have left Notre Dame for the NFL after three years in school. - AP Sports
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2015&genpos=TE

Strengths
    Size:
    At 6'6" and 270 pounds, Niklas is a massive tight end target. He will tower over both linebacks and safeties at the next level, which will make him an excellent red zone target.
    Physicality: Niklas does a tremendous job using that size to the best of his ability. He is overpowing at the point of contact, which is an indication that safeties are going to have a hard time going up against him one-on-one in the NFL.
    Blocking: Niklas is likely the best inline blocker in the entire 2014 draft class. He does a tremendous job engaging would be tacklers at the line in the running game. In addition, the Golden Domer is able to get the best of his strength/size by getting low on the blocks and driving the defender back. Down the field, Niklas does a great job understanding where he needs to be and what his blocking assignments are.
    Athleticism/Role: Niklas can line up at multiple positions on offense. He's a natural tight end between the hashes, but also has the ability to play in the slot and on the outside at wide receiver. In fact, the talented youngster can even act as a lead blocker, if necessary. Considering that he's 6'6" and 270, Niklas' athleticism is also a bit of a surprise. Clocked with a 4.85 40-yard dash, he might not have great down hill speed. That means little, as his ability to get down the field is surprising.
    Weaknesses
    Inconsistent Hands:
    Niklas does possesses decent hands, but they are a tad inconsistent. Sometimes, he catches the ball with his body. This led to a lot of surprising drops this past season for the Irish. Once in the NFL, this will become a larger issue with the hard-hitting safeties that he will line up against. He needs to be more consistent catching the ball with his hands at the point of contact.
    Route Running: Niklas wasn't asked to run a whole lot of routes at Notre Dame. Most of the passes that were thrown to him were on seam/fly routes. While that's an important characterstic of playing tight end in the NFL, Niklas needs to become a well-rounded route runner.
    Contested Catches: You will notice that Niklas struggles making the contested catch. This goes to him letting the ball hit his body, which is never a good thing. The tight end prospect tends to struggle catching the ball and maintaining possession at the highest point prior to contact. This will be a major issue at the next level, unless he can fix it.
    Ball Security: Niklas doesn't necessarily hold the ball like a loaf of bread. Instead, his primary struggle is putting it away between his midsection and arms, which has caused it to be jarred loose at times. Again, this will be an issue at the next level.
    NFL Comparison
    Andrew Quarless, Green Bay Packers: Let me make something clear here. Niklas compares to the Quarless that we see today, not the player that was drafted out of Penn State back in 2010. This is important to note because Niklas is a much better blocker than Quarless was when he entered the draft.
    While Niklas stands three inches taller than Quarless, the comparisons stand in terms of inline blocking, catch radius and physicality. From purely a scouting standpoint, which is all I look at when drawing comparisons, these two are extremely similar. With that said, Niklas is the more-skilled player.
    Draft Outlook
    The combine should be good to Niklas because he measures up well with what the scouts look for in Indianapolis. He should be a sweetheart when it comes to the weight room and weigh-ins, which won't surprise anyone. I do want to see how Niklas handles the route-tree drill, better known as "The Gauntlet," which will give us a much better indication of where he is there.
    If Niklas impresses at Notre Dame's Pro Day and at the combine, he could easily sneak into the back end of the first round. While I have Eric Ebron and Jace Amaro currently ranked ahead of Niklas, it's not unrealistic that he surpasses the latter.
    http://edraft.com/nfl/news/2014-nfl-...outing-report/
    Last edited by DKphin; 02-25-2014 at 10:18 AM.
    Quote Quote  

10. -100
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think Niklas could easily find himself in the first rnd. I wish we had the luxury to take a shot on him.
    Quote Quote