Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NFL Draft Prospects

1. -81
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks

62.DT DaQuan Jones, Penn St. 6'3" 318

12/05/13 - 2013 ALL-BIG TEN FIRST TEAM (COACHES): DaQuan Jones, Penn State, Defensive Line...Jones led Penn State with 11.5 tackles for loss (minus-42 yards). He was fifth on the squad with 56 tackles (33 solo), recorded three sacks (minus-21) and had a fumble recovery. A starter in 23 games over the past two seasons, Jones led all Big Ten defensive tackles in hits this season. The former Johnson City Senior HS standout is the 13th different Nittany Lion defensive lineman to earn first-team All-Big Ten honors since 1998 under the tutelage of defensive line coach Larry Johnson.
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2014&genpos=dt

Positives

Natural 3-technique tackle, but also is capable of playing a 1-technique nose tackle in a 4-3 defense or making the move to a 5-technique defensive end in a 3-4 scheme
    Consistently gets great penetration and gets to heel depth on the high majority of plays
    Uses his leverage well, does a good job of shifting his weight into offensive linemen and moving them backward
    Very good run stuffer who will swallow up runners in the backfield
    Exceptionally strong
    Long arms that he gets great extension with
    Despite lack of natural pass rushing skills, his brute strength requires enough attention that it enables other defenders to make plays

Negatives

Not a natural pass rusher; only had three sacks in 2013
    Needs to be more disciplined with keeping contain when defending the option in the backfield
    Perhaps more of a finished product than other options; is a 22-year-old senior

2013 Performance

Jones had a very good senior season, finishing with 56 total tackles. He was somewhat inconsistent numbers-wise, as he finished with nine total tackles in two different games and finished with just one in three others. Also, he had only three sacks on the season. More impressively, though, Jones had 11.5 tackles for loss for 42 yards during 2013.

2014 Draft Projection: Second Round
    http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/0...-daquan-jones/
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

2. -82
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This guy gets more consistent pressure than just about anyone in the draft. His sack numbers aren't gaudy, but he's disruptive and he holds up the run well. I think he has tremendous upside and would be a great replacement for Starks, if he is let go.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

3. -83
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fin Thirteen View Post
    This guy gets more consistent pressure than just about anyone in the draft. His sack numbers aren't gaudy, but he's disruptive and he holds up the run well. I think he has tremendous upside and would be a great replacement for Starks, if he is let go.
    After watching a number of videos of his, I was impressed at his ability to control defenders and shed when the opportunity arose. He is also pretty kick off the snap. He is one of my priority guys to keep an eye on.
    Quote Quote  

4. -84
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He's in the backfield a lot more than a number of more heralded DTs. Like you say, he's very quick off the snap. I think he could be a top NFL DT in a couple of years and he could certainly be a rotational guy in year 1. I've seen him mocked anything from mid-second to lower third round. In the recent Finheaven draft, I think he went in the fourth. We're not going to sign both Starks and Soliai and we aren't going to spell Odrick and the guy we keep very effectively with just Francis. DT is a need and I'd be advocating Jones higher than a lot of other guys in the draft.

The four guys who interest me are:
    "Elite": Aaron Donald
    "High Risk/Reward": Dominique Easley
    "Underrated": DaQuan Jones
    "Value Pick": Justin Ellis
    Quote Quote  

5. -85
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks

63.DE Scott Crichton, Oregon St. 6'3" 265

01/04/14 - Oregon State defensive end Scott Crichton has decided to forgo his final season of eligibility and enter the NFL draft. The 6-foot-3, 265-pound junior announced his decision Friday in an email sent by his attorney, Nelson Fraley. Crichton had 7 sacks in 2013 and forced a key fumble in Oregon State's win in the Hawaii Bowl. Crichton is the second Beavers player this week to announce he's leaving school early to turn pro, joining All-America wide receiver Brandin Cooks. - AP Sports
    01/04/14 - Oregon State DE Scott Crichton making NFL jump...He typically lined up outside at defensive end but played inside at nose guard against rival Oregon in an attempt to slow down the Ducks' high-powered up-tempo offense. Crichton times the snap well, showing an explosive burst off the ball to cross the face of offensive tackles. He uses his hands very well, frequently chopping and ripping through opponents' attempts to latch onto him and possesses good core strength, showing the ability to simply bull-rush would-be blockers into the pocket.

Crichton possesses a well-built frame that does not lend itself well to flexibility, however, making him a bit stiff when changing directions. Further, he does not possess ideal straight-line speed for the position. His motor never quits, but he doesn't possess Clowney or Ealy's acceleration to tackle ball-carriers from behind. As such, Crichton currently stands on NFLDraftScout.com's board as a second round prospect and our No. 7 defensive end. While perhaps lacking elite upside, Crichton's well-developed game and competitive spirit make him a relatively "safe" pick who could sneak into the draft's top round. Crichton is the second OSU Beaver to head early into the NFL draft this year, joining wideout Brandin Cooks, the reigning Biletnikoff winner, who made his announcement on Thursday. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
    01/04/14 - Oregon State DE Scott Crichton making NFL jump...As it currently stands, the 2014 NFL draft appears stronger already than last year's crop of talent. Defensive end, one position in which this year's senior class was perhaps lacking, has received a huge infusion in talent in recent days with the news that South Carolina superstar Jadeveon Clowney has joined the mix, as well as Missouri' Kony Ealy, each projected as first round prospects by NFLDraftScout.com. Oregon State' Scott Crichton hasn't received as much fanfare from a national perspective but expect that to change in the coming months.

The 6-foot-3, 265-pound Crichton added his name to the growing list of pass rushers heading early to the NFL, according to an email sent by his attorney, Nelson Fraley. While lacking Clowney and Ealy's extraordinary athleticism, Crichton (oronounced CRY-ton) has improved throughout his career with the Beavers and projects well as a traditional 4-3 defensive end in the NFL. With 7.5 sacks in 2013 despite being the focus of every opponent's blocking scheme, Crichton earned Second Team All-Pac-12 honors. This was a drop from his career-high nine sacks in 2012 but Crichton showed improved strength and versatility during his redshirt junior season, complementing his impressive burst off the snap and terrific motor. Crichton's broad shoulders and stout frame, overall, allowed the Beavers to move him all over the defensive line in 2013. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2015&genpos=DE
    Quote Quote  

6. -86
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Crichton's my fave DE after Clowney. Unlikely to be a pick for us, but I like this kid a lot. His foot speed is so impressive - he doesn't burst forward with the kind of explosive power Clowney has (who does?!), but he's very quick, nimble and elusive for a big guy. And he's relentless, which will get you a long way in the NFL.

He's great at keeping blockers arms off him, but if they do get a lock on him, he can struggle a bit to disengage.
    Quote Quote  

7. -87
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Crichton's my fave DE after Clowney. Unlikely to be a pick for us, but I like this kid a lot. His foot speed is so impressive - he doesn't burst forward with the kind of explosive power Clowney has (who does?!), but he's very quick, nimble and elusive for a big guy. And he's relentless, which will get you a long way in the NFL.

He's great at keeping blockers arms off him, but if they do get a lock on him, he can struggle a bit to disengage.
    Like you say, he is probably someone that does not get picked by us.
    Quote Quote  

8. -88
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks

64.ILB Christian Jones, Florida St. 6'3" 234

12/13/13 - 2013 ALL-ACC SECOND TEAM (COACHES): LB-Christian Jones, Sr., Florida State (26)...Has been selected Second Team All-ACC for the 2013 college football season by the ACC Coaches. - Florida State football
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...014&genpos=ILB

Analysis
    STRENGTHS:
    Tremendous athlete with has fluid footwork who flawlessly flips his hips to blanket tight ends or receivers down the field in coverage. Tall and long, which he uses well in coverage. Plays with excellent range and speed to chase down the action, taking proper angles in pursuit. Flashes the take-on strength to blow past blockers when he uses proper technique.

WEAKNESSES: Needs to improve his awareness to turn his head and find the ball. Length is advantageous, but at times will cause him to play too upright, and he needs to improve his overall leverage, especially on tackle attempts. Will get hung up on blocks at times.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...hristian-jones
    Last edited by DKphin; 02-25-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    Quote Quote  

9. -89
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks

65. OLB Ryan Shazier, Ohio St. 6'2" 230

Analysis
    STRENGTHS:
    Rangy athlete with terrific closing acceleration and burst. Explosive first step as a blitzer to force the QB from his spot. Very good bend off the edge with momentum to fight through blocks and disrupt the pocket. Flexible ankles and flattens easily.
    Uses his length well at the point of attack with good take-on strength to deliver a pop, filling hard vs. the run. Eyes are always elevated with good ball vision and anticipation. Breaks down well on the move and gets low, showing clear improvement with his tackling technique.
    Smart and puts himself in correct position to make plays. Sniffs out the ball and almost always finishes when he's in the area. Never quits working to the ball and relentless in pursuit.
    Team leader and uplifting teammate with strong personal and football character. Versatile skill-set to drop in coverage, blitz and cover both sidelines. Very productive career with back-to-back seasons with 115-plus tackles, including a conference-best 143 stops in 2013.
    WEAKNESSES: Lean frame and lacks elite bulk. Doesn't have the body type to get too much bigger. Needs to continue to get stronger to better shed at the point of attack. Too easily engulfed when attacking the line of scrimmage.
    Sometimes content throwing his shoulder and not wrapping up. Overaggressive at times in coverage and needs patient and alert. Will lose track of his assignment in man.
    Needs to stay disciplined and tidy up his timing to avoid late hits and unnecessary flags. Needs to keep his composure and keep his emotions in check. History of minor injuries that have caused him to miss playing time.
    Compares To: Lavonte David, Buccaneers - While he's not quite as refined or tough as David, Shazier has a similar body type and movement skills to cover a large area and be a ultra-productive tackler at the next level.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft

01/06/14 - Ryan Shazier to bypass senior year and enter NFL Draft...The All-American linebacker concluded career with 315 tackles and 44.5 TFLs...Ohio State junior linebacker Ryan Shazier has decided to forego his senior season with the Buckeyes in 2014 in order to pursue his dream of playing in the National Football League. "Playing in the NFL is something that I have been dreaming about since my days in pee-wee football," said Shazier, a 29-game starter for the Buckeyes who has led the team in tackles for the past two seasons. "I just feel that now is the perfect time for me." "The coaches have really helped me to grow into the player I am today," Shazier said. "Coach Meyer, Coach Fickell and all of the coaches at Ohio State have been amazing. I have great relationships with them and I feel as if all of them have been there for me. I am so blessed to have had them as my coaches."

His 143 tackles this season rank sixth nationally and in a tie for 13th on the Ohio State single season charts. Included was a 20-tackle game vs. Indiana in which he tied school records for solo tackles (16) and tackles-for-loss (5). Shazier also had 101 solo tackles this season to rank third nationally. It was the third-highest total in school history behind Tom Cousineau's 142 in 1978 and Chris Spielman's 105 in 1986. His 315 career tackles rank 14th in school history. Additionally, Shazier's 22.5 tackles-for-loss this year rank third at Ohio State (and third nationally) and his 44.5 career TFLs rank sixth all-time at Ohio State. - Ohio State football
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...015&genpos=OLB
    Last edited by DKphin; 02-25-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    Quote Quote  

10. -90
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He's in the backfield a lot more than a number of more heralded DTs. Like you say, he's very quick off the snap. I think he could be a top NFL DT in a couple of years and he could certainly be a rotational guy in year 1. I've seen him mocked anything from mid-second to lower third round. In the recent Finheaven draft, I think he went in the fourth. We're not going to sign both Starks and Soliai and we aren't going to spell Odrick and the guy we keep very effectively with just Francis. DT is a need and I'd be advocating Jones higher than a lot of other guys in the draft.

The four guys who interest me are:
    "Elite": Aaron Donald
    "High Risk/Reward": Dominique Easley
    "Underrated": DaQuan Jones
    "Value Pick": Justin Ellis
    Do you think Easley makes it to the 3rd round?
    Quote Quote