Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need vs BPA

1. -11
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You have to go BPA. Drafting for need (unless QB) is a white flag of desperation and a quick fix lottery ticket mentality. Passing up talent to fill a need is a gift to the rest of the league. Draft day is game day, it's not a picnic or photo op, you need show up prepared. You have to be ready to make moves or patiently wait to maximize your next opportunity to add real talent. You need a general manager and a staff that eats, sleeps and breathes the NFL draft.
    Last edited by Dogbone34; 01-04-2014 at 01:07 AM. Reason: not a PhD
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Goatsville, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We need playmakers.

Quote Quote  

3. -13
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    Depending on which players declare, OT could be loaded this year. Matthews, Robinson, Lewan, Richardson, and Erving are all exciting prospects. Solid chance BPA at 19 is an OT. I think that RB's tend to get drafted too late. If you can lock down one of these OT's and then Jeremy Hill in the 2nd, you're on your way to establishing a physical running game - which we're sorely lacking.
    Not only that, take a good look at the top G's. Cyril Richardson, Yankey, Zach Martin. All have played Tackle and are very good G prospects.

I heard the announcer in the Baylor game two nights ago say Cyril is Larry Allen. Now that may be a big oversell, but it certainly got me thinking. If he is anything close to Larry Allen, and you know you can trade down and still get him, by gollly do it.

I also see guys slip into the second round and guys who will move up boards and slide like Seantrel Henderson could and end up in fifth round.

So I tend to see a mix of need and BPA at the need.

My ideal thing to have happen is to trade down to SF spot (one pick ahead of New England), and take a Cyril Richardson or Seferian Jenkins and get that extra pick to build your Oline with solid G/T types and get some good tackles a little later like the Boise St. kid and maybe even resign Mckinney and Clabo to one year deals cheap and so you draft your future behind them to give time to mix, mold your future OL and still get a stud TE with huge Tony G. upside while letting SF take Ebron or Amaro who will be slotted to go there.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    The Dolphin seasons simply aren't interesting when we lack great players. The Canes have many flaws but at least I can see the rare talent in guys like Duke Johnson and Stacy Coley. If the recruiters can bring in players like that, it gives me hope that it will eventually translate to core positions like quarterback and defensive tackle.

Jeff Ireland stocks up on mediocrities, and somehow those mediocre names end up in sigs around here, touted as if they are something special. Meanwhile, if they were on other rosters we wouldn't be scared of them or even think about them.

Our second round pick is too low this year. It's well established that there's a cutoff in expectation once you get lower than the 40th pick. Some of the biggest crapshoots I see every year are in the mid to late second round. We should think about packaging something to move up from that spot.

Some positions are more important than others but at this point we need great players period. Best player available.

Agree with the sentiment entirely, but i wouldn't trade up, especially with Ireland calling the shots.
    I think there's quite a bit of talent in rounds 2 and 3 as things stand. Its not so much Ireland missing on first round "premier" talent as him being ultra conservative right through the draft, preferring the solid but unspectacular to the talented but risky.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    old pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    windermere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Drafting for need increases your odds of drafting an average player or a bust. Think Billy Milner
    in the 1st especially, you have to go with the highest graded player.
    [SIGPIC]The cynic knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing
    -Oscar Wilde
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like Ebron but Jace Amaro from Texas Tech is a far better player. I even prefer Austin Seferian-Jenkins to Ebron. Don't get me wrong Ebron is talented, and is a 1st round tight end, but he has his flaws. He does not attack the football and win 50/50 balls like you would want out of a 1st round tight end. He does have great athletic ability, and is a willing blocker. I have him rated #21 so with us picking 19 I wouldn't mind that selection. And as far as BPA vs. Need, when asked how to balance that, Baltimore GM Ozzie Newsome said..

"All that happens if you draft BPA is you have a team of good football players"
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by futurescout View Post
    I like Ebron but Jace Amaro from Texas Tech is a far better player. I even prefer Austin Seferian-Jenkins to Ebron. Don't get me wrong Ebron is talented, and is a 1st round tight end, but he has his flaws. He does not attack the football and win 50/50 balls like you would want out of a 1st round tight end. He does have great athletic ability, and is a willing blocker. I have him rated #21 so with us picking 19 I wouldn't mind that selection. And as far as BPA vs. Need, when asked how to balance that, Baltimore GM Ozzie Newsome said..

"All that happens if you draft BPA is you have a team of good football players"
    Great quote. Goes back to the horizontal vs vertical draft boards.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    Not only that, take a good look at the top G's. Cyril Richardson, Yankey, Zach Martin. All have played Tackle and are very good G prospects.

I heard the announcer in the Baylor game two nights ago say Cyril is Larry Allen. Now that may be a big oversell, but it certainly got me thinking. If he is anything close to Larry Allen, and you know you can trade down and still get him, by gollly do it.

I also see guys slip into the second round and guys who will move up boards and slide like Seantrel Henderson could and end up in fifth round.

So I tend to see a mix of need and BPA at the need.

My ideal thing to have happen is to trade down to SF spot (one pick ahead of New England), and take a Cyril Richardson or Seferian Jenkins and get that extra pick to build your Oline with solid G/T types and get some good tackles a little later like the Boise St. kid and maybe even resign Mckinney and Clabo to one year deals cheap and so you draft your future behind them to give time to mix, mold your future OL and still get a stud TE with huge Tony G. upside while letting SF take Ebron or Amaro who will be slotted to go there.
    Wow. Cyril Richardson always reminded me of Larry Allen, but I've never heard anyone else make that comparison. He is a player who wins his one on one battles and moves pretty well for a guy weighing around 350.

Push comes to shove, I'd get an explosive playmaker in the first someone like Ebron or Benjamin in the first and then go to work on improving the offensive line. Miami needs to get one offensive line starter (a good one) in free agency. Also, I'd explore trading up for Watkins. This guy goes from 0 to full speed faster than anyone I've seen and would be an absolute holy terror in the slant. Obviously, he would be costly as a likely top 10 pick but having Wallace, Watkins, Clay and Hartline would give defenses fits. I can dream!
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    nevermind I just realized this posted already... not sure how to delete posts so I will leave my post as this..
    Last edited by futurescout; 01-06-2014 at 06:16 PM.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    amaro gets off the los very well even against dbs...he shakes em well...good looking prospect not a rediculous physical athlete like a vernon davis but that size that catch radius and that mismatch looks like a 1st round pick to me easy...he doesn't come off though as a go up and get it guy at its highest point but that's gonna be a tough cover for safeties and lbs in the pros...work him flexed out primarily...doesnt wow you with separation but with that size that catch radius and those hands good luck lbs/dbs

i have him and ebron ahead of everyone else...sefarian jenkins is gonna work more in line and run routes underneath etc...can make plays down the field and in the red zone but his snaps are dion sims in this offense even though he's a much more dynamic pass catcher than sims who is pretty much a 6 yard curl and show your numbers to the qb or box out a defender in the red zone...upside pass receiving wise with sims is little to none...if you are keeping sims i dont see where sefarian jenkins helps us unless sims snaps are no longer there...

ebrons game is wr like smoothness in a 6 ft 4 250 lb package...he runs routes like a wr...i like him a lot even if he doesnt come off as very physical...really none of these tight ends just overpower you with physicality but they are all skilled big body guys

dennis pitta is very finesse even more so than coby fleener but he's a flex mismatch that wins very early...i think pittas ebrons floor
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote