Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: My First Crisis Of The New Year

  1. -1
    GoonBoss's Avatar
    Finheaven Templar

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    19,063
    vCash:
    12197
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

    My First Crisis Of The New Year

    I was using a really bad ass 20 gauge, break- action shotgun (Single barrel)
    to shoot air holes in my burn barrel. (I've been burning lots of brush and vines)

    The extraction spring out thingie (Whatever it's called) didn't work, and I had to
    take a Gerber to it. I got the shell out. I really need to get the gun refurbished. It's
    a fun gun to shoot.

    ETA;; It's and old Savage/Stevens that was my brother in law's father's, and father's before.


    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    Fins1971's Avatar
    C'mon Dolphins

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2009
    Posts:
    2,665
    vCash:
    7193
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks

    My First Crisis Of The New Year

    **** always breaks, good thing there a few around that know how to fix it. I had to clean a fireplace at Xmas that I had just cleaned in spring.

    Bad: paying to have functional stuff

    Good: the fact that you actually have stuff.

    My plan from here on out is to focus on positives.

    Hope you get your gun fixed. I have a 1936 Remington target master 22 that was given to me by my dad. It was his dad's squirrel gun. Not much to fix with that gun. But it is priceless to me.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    Bumpus's Avatar
    Are you gonna drink that?

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2003
    Posts:
    20,116
    vCash:
    17064
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    This is probably a stupid question, but ...

    Have you broken it down recently for a good cleaning? Carbon tends to ...


    Nevermind, look who I'm talking to. Hopefully you can find a reasonably priced smith nearby to hook up your heirloom.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1





    "The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    NY8123's Avatar
    Sophisticated Redneck

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    11,657
    vCash:
    4941
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Question, are you shooting reloads?

    I have an over/under Winchester 101 and the gun was rebuilt at Winchester. Ever since it was rebuilt if I shoot reloads that are reloaded more than once the bottom barrel jams because the brass is expanded and the ejector will not eject the shell.

    I have to make sure to size all my reloads and I only shoot the shells that have been reloaded once, maybe twice at the most through that gun. My dad's over/under Wetherby on the other hand will shoot anything we put in the damn thing without problem. Some guns are just moody.
    Peace and Humptiness Forever


    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    GoonBoss's Avatar
    Finheaven Templar

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    19,063
    vCash:
    12197
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    This is probably a stupid question, but ...

    Have you broken it down recently for a good cleaning? Carbon tends to ...


    Nevermind, look who I'm talking to. Hopefully you can find a reasonably priced smith nearby to hook up your heirloom.
    There are people in the area that can do it. I think it's past my maintainence level, honestly. It's the little extractor pin. I've cleaned and lubed it, but it didn't want to extract that
    shell for some reason. It popped back out with the Gerber.....I think it just needs a good smithing.

    ---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    Question, are you shooting reloads?

    I have an over/under Winchester 101 and the gun was rebuilt at Winchester. Ever since it was rebuilt if I shoot reloads that are reloaded more than once the bottom barrel jams because the brass is expanded and the ejector will not eject the shell.

    I have to make sure to size all my reloads and I only shoot the shells that have been reloaded once, maybe twice at the most through that gun. My dad's over/under Wetherby on the other hand will shoot anything we put in the damn thing without problem. Some guns are just moody.
    Nope, factory loads. Slugs.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    NY8123's Avatar
    Sophisticated Redneck

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    11,657
    vCash:
    4941
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goonboss View Post
    there are people in the area that can do it. I think it's past my maintainence level, honestly. It's the little extractor pin. I've cleaned and lubed it, but it didn't want to extract that
    shell for some reason. It popped back out with the gerber.....i think it just needs a good smithing.

    ---------- post added at 07:59 pm ---------- previous post was at 07:59 pm ----------



    nope, factory loads. Slugs.
    nfg.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    GoonBoss's Avatar
    Finheaven Templar

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    19,063
    vCash:
    12197
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    nfg.
    I had my oldest son shoot it the other day. He's not a big one for the guns, but as
    he's gotten older, he has asked me to teach him how to shoot. I think that
    little 20 gauge with a slug in it disuaded him from his quest. It really knocked the
    crap out of him. I really made an effort to give the pre shooting block of instruction on stance,
    cheek weld, etc.....Some people are just so ****ing un natural with guns, it's
    odd. I should've used bird shot as a first load.....That's on me. It just occured to me
    as we were out there on the burn barrell.

    Lesson learned by me.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    Fins1971's Avatar
    C'mon Dolphins

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2009
    Posts:
    2,665
    vCash:
    7193
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My Winchester 12 gauge, took some damage from the pipes bursting. It was sitting with butt on floor of closet and got soaked. Finish is already coming off. Ammo was on floor but was in case that kept them off ground level. I think they are ok.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    GoonBoss's Avatar
    Finheaven Templar

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    19,063
    vCash:
    12197
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins1971 View Post
    My Winchester 12 gauge, took some damage from the pipes bursting. It was sitting with butt on floor of closet and got soaked. Finish is already coming off. Ammo was on floor but was in case that kept them off ground level. I think they are ok.
    They should be. Get your gun rebuled, just to do it. Ammo, as long as it was not submerged should be alright, but
    I would used it for "Fun" ammo, and buy new factory loads for HD.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    NY8123's Avatar
    Sophisticated Redneck

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    11,657
    vCash:
    4941
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goon Boss View Post
    I had my oldest son shoot it the other day. He's not a big one for the guns, but as
    he's gotten older, he has asked me to teach him how to shoot. I think that
    little 20 gauge with a slug in it disuaded him from his quest. It really knocked the
    crap out of him. I really made an effort to give the pre shooting block of instruction on stance,
    cheek weld, etc.....Some people are just so ****ing un natural with guns, it's
    odd. I should've used bird shot as a first load.....That's on me. It just occured to me
    as we were out there on the burn barrell.

    Lesson learned by me.
    I started my boy off with my first gun, it was a Remington 1100 20 gauge that my dad bought from me from a WW1 vet that used to be friends with my grandfather. "Scoop" as he was called was a small man, about 5'5" and little over 130 lbs so he had the stock on the 1100 modified to fit his short arms. When I was 13 Scoop was in his late 90's (he lived to 104!) and he told my father he wanted me to have the gun, so I started shooting skeet with it when I was 13. Since that time I have shot countless rabbits and deer and even shot my first buck with that gun.

    When my boy turned 13 I passed the gun onto him and he has since started to shoot skeet as well. He had a lot of the same issues with handling guns, when I was 14 I had already taught myself how to dismantle and put back together that 1100 even to the point of removing the firing pin from the action. My son doesn't have my mechanical ability nor do I think he ever will lol, somethings are taught, somethings are genetic.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. O-Line In Crisis?
    By rickyfan85 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-01-2008, 01:49 AM
  2. The Testosterone Crisis
    By FinFatale in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-26-2008, 01:22 AM
  3. FF7 Crisis Core for PSP
    By Sethdaddy8 in forum Gaming Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 10:16 PM
  4. Iran, Iraq, Hamas Make 2006 Year Of Crisis for Bush
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 01:07 AM
  5. Identitiy Crisis?
    By 1334 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 12:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •