Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push for Sentencing Changes Underway in Congress

1. -1
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

Push for Sentencing Changes Underway in Congress

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/push-...erway-congress

WASHINGTON (AP) — An unusual alliance of tea party enthusiasts and liberal leaders in Congress is pursuing major changes in the country's mandatory sentencing laws.
    The push is being led by the Senate, where Durbin has worked with tea party stalwarts such as Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, on legislation that would give judges more flexibility to determine prison sentences in many drug cases. At the same time, a right-left coalition is pressing for changes in the House.
    I don't know how significant these changes would be but either way it's at least something.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    My nose is delicious!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kings Park, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    For a society that likes to throw the word "freedom" around as much as we do, we imprison a larger percentage of our population than any other country. And with the push to privatize the prison system, we've now created a monetary incentive to lock people up. Without some significant change, we'll eventually see more and more judges getting caught taking bribes for filling prison cells. We've already seen it on the juvenile level.

Further, it's expensive to lock people up. For non-violent criminals, we can find better ways of punishing them than incarceration. Legalization of marijuana would also go a long way towards easing the burden on taxpayers who have to pay the bill for locking all the tokers up (and that's coming from someone who doesn't smoke).
    Jim

Not even their mothers can tell them apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    Whether sincere or not, the guy is trying to apologize and move on. Nothing wrong with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
    It doesn't matter if the apology is sincere? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    I didn't say it doesn't matter.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    I'm in the send drug users to a 30-60 day Rehab not jail crowd. Costs more money to jail them and when they do come out they are more likely to be in worse shape and commit a real crime then when they went in. Before its asked Yes even if it means sending them to rehab multiple times.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good news, and something they should have done earlier. The libertarian side of the Tea Party has always been a natural ally for liberals on these things. What took them so long? It's not like Congress is busy accomplishing other stuff.
    I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Goatsville, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would say there should be an overhaul in terms of sentencing guidelines.

I don't know. It's a struggle when one judge lets a guy that is directly responsible for three deaths
    off the hook, and another gives a kid with some drugs prison time.

I work in the prison system and I will tell you once you get off the "World",
    You are in "Prison" and once you are in "Prison" it's very difficult to transition out of it.

Prison is a life changing event.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Goatsville, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Good news, and something they should have done earlier. The libertarian side of the Tea Party has always been a natural ally for liberals on these things. What took them so long? It's not like Congress is busy accomplishing other stuff.
    My only issue with the whole "Libertarian" thing is that, what happens with the prisons?

I understand that the "Right to swing your fist ends with my nose" thing, but at the same time......

When that punch ends at my nose, don't people go to prison?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    My only issue with the whole "Libertarian" thing is that, what happens with the prisons?

I understand that the "Right to swing your fist ends with my nose" thing, but at the same time......

When that punch ends at my nose, don't people go to prison?
    Not sure what you mean, honestly.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Goatsville, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not sure what you mean, honestly.
    I was simply saying that "Libertarians" want, well...Liberty and freedom, and that's just fine.
    All the way up until one's "right" to throw a punch hits my nose.

*And I hadn't read the article*
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    I was simply saying that "Libertarians" want, well...Liberty and freedom, and that's just fine.
    All the way up until one's "right" to throw a punch hits my nose.

*And I hadn't read the article*
    Well, first off I'm not a libertarian. But I think that's the essence of their argument, yeah. A person should have the right to do something unless if affects someone else. The negotiation occurs when -- or perhaps "because" is a better word here -- not everyone agrees what "affecting someone" really means or the degree to which that affect can happen and still be acceptable. This is basically my view, too, btw. Or at least it is a lot of the time. Liberals and libertarians tend to agree on a lot of these issues but part company on fiscal matters.

I thought maybe you were referring to reforms to mandatory minimum statues affecting your job security, which it very well might. Your prose style is, uh... sort of cryptic.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Goatsville, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, first off I'm not a libertarian. But I think that's the essence of their argument, yeah. A person should have the right to do something unless if affects someone else. The negotiation occurs when -- or perhaps "because" is a better word here -- not everyone agrees what "affecting someone" really means or the degree to which that affect can happen and still be acceptable. This is basically my view, too, btw. Or at least it is a lot of the time. Liberals and libertarians tend to agree on a lot of these issues but part company on fiscal matters.

I thought maybe you were referring to reforms to mandatory minimum statues affecting your job security, which it very well might. Your prose style is, uh... sort of cryptic.
    I'm only "Cryptic" when I'm drunk.

I don't worry a bit about job security. There will always be someone that someone else
    wants to put in prison for the illegal things they've done.

No matter what movement takes place.
    Quote Quote