Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dan Le Batard: Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross guilty of being human

1. -31
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spiketex View Post
    People also seem to forget that Miami beat 4 AFC finalists (New England, Cincinatti, Indy and San Diego) in the course of the season. This team is not the basket case that some fans suggest.
    No we are not a basket case but we are nothing more than a mediocre team, and not just last year, for years now. So lets keep the status quo and enjoy another cup of 6-8 wins and no playoffs next year. Then maybe Ross will get fed up and fire Ireland and rebuilding will begin years after it could have.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Formerly FireWrongstedt

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks

Dan Le Batard: Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross guilty of being human

This pic is BEGGING for a caption. 'You're gonna fire me? Just remember- I still have those pictures of you with the goat, Steve'.
    Die hard Dolphins and Devils fan.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    My nose is delicious!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kings Park, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You realize that Ross is a self made billiionaire and the biggest real estate developer in New York City. Some would be bold enough to consider him a success.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    Most guys that do well at one business can do well at others, simply because after the product itself,
    it's about all of the same principals.
    Just about every NFL owner is a billionaire, or a collective group of multi-millionaires (GB being an exception). That's relevant to one's ability to own a team, but it isn't relevant to one's running a team well. And unless you have some offensive and/or defensive stats on properties, I don't see how running a business equates to NFL success either. There are plenty of very successful business people who have ran failed NFL teams.

Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    You cannot succeed with a guy who quits the team leaving two starters causing havoc with an already crappy line playing as it was with all the commotion and expect to be a playoff team.
    Stop using this as an excuse. The O-line was bad before Martin quit. Many of us were screaming about how bad the O-line was during the pre-season ...some even before that. That the O-line sucked during the season was only a surprise to people that weren't paying attention ...and Jeff Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFin View Post
    I find this the most interesting part of the article:
    The last two games — two games! — don’t change how good or bad of a general manager he actually is. He’s the same general manager either way.
    I agree with that. But Ireland was bad before the last two games. And while there may be a small percentage of people who changed their minds about Ireland after the last two games, there were plenty who recognized his shortcomings long before that. Those last two games are more indicative of how bad a coaching staff might be.

People also seem to forget that Miami beat 4 AFC finalists (New England, Cincinatti, Indy and San Diego) in the course of the season. This team is not the basket case that some fans suggest.
    So now we don't just applaud medicrity; we applaud inconsistency as well?

Quote Originally Posted by z926538 View Post
    You never will get that number -- all that crowd cares about is their emotional attachments to imagined personalities. They are never concerned with the good of the team or the production of a superior product. This is liberalism at its finest. People's feeling being more important than the quality of the product.
    You were fine until you put that last bit in there and made this political. I've been calling for Ireland to go for years and I promise you I'd be a strong candidate for the most liberal guy on here. We're talking football. Personal political biases have nothing to do with this.
    Jim

Not even their mothers can tell them apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    Whether sincere or not, the guy is trying to apologize and move on. Nothing wrong with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
    It doesn't matter if the apology is sincere? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    I didn't say it doesn't matter.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    What I saw this year was flashes of hope, but largely just "Inconsistency" in all parts of the game.

Indy was a fantastic win. That was my main glimmer of hope, but some of our other wins were quite ugly despite me still being happy for the team. Cleveland in a nailbiter for most of the game. The Falcons without a lot of players, in a nailbiter. Pittsburgh on a fluke music city miracle that Almost worked. The Patriots without Gronk. Cincinatti losing Geno Atkins mid-game. Chargers in a nailbiter. I'm proud that we won them all, but I also realize that squeaking by each week isn't a formula for long-term success.

Losing to a winless TB team, the Bills twice (once after a BYE, once during playoff hopes), the Jets during playoff hopes, the weakened Ravens, getting manhandled by the Saints on prime-time. These losses weren't "bad days" -- they were Miami's winning gameplans getting purely exposed, and all at crucial times.

Last year we were 7-9. The same inconsistent team. All that means is that it took 1 game sooner for us to realize we weren't getting in the playoffs. It's actually Worse this year because we were in the driver's seat down the stretch, and still blew it.

We're not a Bad team. We're excruciatingly Average; an Any Given Sunday kind of team. I understand that greatness can come from humble beginnings, and it's a slow process to the top, but inconsistency has remained from year 1, and may very well continue into year 3. Many areas of this team have actually regressed since last year. This isn't an elite playoffs team in the making until some serious changes to the team makeup and philosophy occur.

If Ross doesn't want this to continue, he needs to do something about it, not just keep handing out extensions like they're Christmas cards.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This only makes me more pissed off. How do we do that and crap out against buffalo and Tampa?
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whizafriz View Post
    This isn't an elite playoffs team in the making until some serious changes to the team makeup and philosophy occur.
    Disagree. I believe Philbin's philosophy is the QB is what wins or loses in this league and he's building a team that culminates around that core principle. He's building a team that will stay as even keel as possible, maybe not winning games on their own but certainly not losing games either. If the QB plays well we will win. If the QB plays like **** we will lose. If the QB takes a step up next year, and thats a big if, we can win a lot of games with this philosophy.

Here's an exercise I went through to try to quantify what I'm talking about (its not complete by any stretch and the sample size is relatively tiny but its interesting none the less), win% when the QB has a passer rating of 90 or higher:

Jim Harbaugh: 93%
    Joe Philbin: 92%
    Bill Belichick: 91%
    Marvin Lewis: 90%
    John Harbaugh: 81%
    Jim Schwartz: 76%
    Phillip Rivers coaches: 69%
    Tony Romo coaches: 56%
    Tony Sparano: 56%
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Why not Us?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Currently Stationed Overseas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    two games! — it looked like Ireland would save his job. The last two games — two games! — don’t change how good or bad of a general manager he actually is. He’s the same general manager either way. But in a lot of markets with different owners, he’d be fired for those last two games.
    It didn't matter if we made the playoffs or not. If we won the final two games and lost in the playoffs, we would be demanding for changes from the top.

COME ON' RYAN!!!
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    LeBetard is actaully very good at what he does.
    Yeah...

By far the best in our market

The rest of the clowns are suck ups for the dolphins.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    la la land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    God its depressing to be a fan of this team. Its like being held hostage, but the hostage takers dont want anything, but for you to be a hostage.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Why did it have to be snakes?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Dan Le Batard is entertaining. I like his radio program.

But by his own admission he doesn't really know a damn thing about football. He just likes writing human interest stories about athletes. And that's fine, because his radio show is still pretty funny and I still listen to it sometimes, but I'm pretty sure he knows less about football than my mom.
    I'm here to tell the truth about top secret Air Force project BAR STOOL. Gamma ray radiation from the particle accelerator under Joe Robbie Stadium is real! Get out while you can! This bad football team is just a front for something far more sinister!
    Quote Quote