Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: 2nd floor plumbing-bad idea

1. -1
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks

2nd floor plumbing-bad idea

Got home from work about 4 hours ago. When I backed my truck into my garage which is half of the basement waterfalls were coming down both sides of basement walls and dripping from ceiling. Alarms were sounding. I went in and shut off the water and electric. What a buzz kill.

A pipe in 2nd floor bathroom that is close to outer wall must have burst right after I left for work this morning. It has been around -5 to -10 in Ohio for over 24 hours. Too much for whoever designed the plumbing/insulation in that area of house.

As far as I can tell 2nd floor is unscathed other than flooring in the bathroom where water filled up rafters and seeped into floor. That is just great since I don't even use the second floor since my daughter moved away.

It all spilled down into main floor.
    New flooring on main level is destroyed. Master bedroom carpet is half flooded. After I shut off water and came to main level I saw water pouring out of light fixtures in ceiling until the rafters drained. I have never seen anything like this in my life. The destruction a 1/2 copper pipe can cause is unbelievable. I have lines on baseboard in main level that show water levels at about 1 1/2 inches. Down in the basement 3 inches. Water poured out the outer front wall and formed ice on siding and a patch of ice on front porch. I'll add some pictures when the light of day comes.
    Unbelievable.

I found the shutoff for upstairs water and was able to restore water to Lower level. When water stopped coming from electrical fixtures I restored power. Furnace turned back on so I'm back to an inhabitable house on lower level. I squeegeed up most of the water on main level.

I had a few shots and am exhausted. Not what I intended to do tonight
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That ****ing sucks. It's been that cold here in upstate NY as well. My buddy owns a local bar in town and they shut up for the night and all went home, came back in the morning to find his bar full of water because the same thing happened. Water pipe near the outside wall burst and flooded the place, what a mess.

I own a bar as well and have been keeping my eye on the pipes like a hawk! My pipes are all under the place, thank god, so if one does cut lose it won't damage anything but it will be a pain in the ass to fix. My house pipes are in my basement which has heat, so my house pipes should be good unless I lose power for a length of time, in which case I can just open the tub faucet and drain all the lines, I'm on well water.
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mitigation crew finally showed up yesterday. They were backed up due to everyone in the area having same problem. They only stayed for about 2 hours. But they got the process started and showed me what to do. They left several dryers and a industrial dehumidifier.

After 24 hours my house is almost dried out. What a relief. All wet areas have been opened up and you can gauge the damage. I found the burst pipe. It looked like some was inside the pipe with a 22 and the shot the pipe from inside to out.

They are supposed to be back today to pick up mess and spray some kind of stuff that stops mold.

Then it we be time to re-model once again. I know what I'm doing for the next few months.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Evidently 5 will get you 27,000

I just received the water bill for last month when the pipes froze and burst. My monthly usage went up 1500 gallons and and the water bill was $5 more then normal.
    So while I was at work 1500 gallons of water seeped through my house.

I haven't got the electric bill yet. Part of the mitigation process was running (7) 4 Amp Blowers constantly for about 10 days along with an industrial dehumidifier.
    That bill isn't going to be cheap.

The good part is that I got a check from State Farm for $27,000 the other day to fix it all. My laminate floors are being replaced with bamboo and all 3 bathrooms get redone.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins1971 View Post
    Evidently 5 will get you 27,000

I just received the water bill for last month when the pipes froze and burst. My monthly usage went up 1500 gallons and and the water bill was $5 more then normal.
    So while I was at work 1500 gallons of water seeped through my house.

I haven't got the electric bill yet. Part of the mitigation process was running (7) 4 Amp Blowers constantly for about 10 days along with an industrial dehumidifier.
    That bill isn't going to be cheap.

The good part is that I got a check from State Farm for $27,000 the other day to fix it all. My laminate floors are being replaced with bamboo and all 3 bathrooms get redone.
    I didn't realize it was as bad for my buddy and his bar lol. Apparently it was a 3" sprinkler main that burst, not only did it flood the barroom and kitchen it literally filled the basement to the rafters and 3" of water on the ground floor. I don't how many gallons that is but I know he just reopened two weeks ago lol.

He did however get a complete remodel out of the deal courtesy of the insurance man! I guess a bad news/ good news situation.

When will the work be done?
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Flooring is being installed next week. The bathrooms I will do myself. I went through the 33 page adjusters report and picked the labor that was easy and the most profitable and decided to do that myself. It may take a month or 3 to finish the bathrooms but it will pay for the granite counter top in my kitchen that i was trying to figure out where the money would come from.

There was some good money in doing the flooring but with the other projects it would drag out forever and kill my back. Hopefully its all back together by the time golf season starts.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have often thought how screwed I would be if something like this ever happened. I have two bathrooms upstairs as well as the laundry room; also where the water heater is.

Glad you had good insurance.
    Quote Quote