Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Christie Staff Sought Lane Closures as Revenge

1. -1
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Top Christie Staff Sought Lane Closures as Revenge

A series of newly obtained emails and text messages shows that Gov. Chris Christie’s office was closely involved with lane closings on the New Jersey side of the George Washington Bridge in September, and that officials closed the lanes as retribution against the mayor whose town was gridlocked as a result.

Mr. Christie has insisted that his staff and his campaign office had nothing to do with the local lane closings, and said that they were done as part of a traffic study. The bridge scandal highlights one of his biggest vulnerabilities as Mr. Christie steps out onto the national stage as a potential presidential candidate: the accusation that he is a bully who retaliates against the smallest slights.

The emails show that Bridget Anne Kelly, a deputy chief of staff in Mr. Christie’s office, gave a signal to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to close the lanes about two weeks before the closings occurred.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/09/ny...s.html?hp&_r=2

Not a good look for Christie, who already has a reputation for this kind of needless and vindictive bug smashing. Not a disqualifying kind of story in and of itself, but this is the kind of thing that can gain it's own momentum if he's found to have done other things like this in the past and continues doing things with a similar mindset on the campaign trail. Should be interesting to see what he does when the first round of negative ads come out. That first debate, in particular, will be a huge test for him.

#freespesh
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Not really a huge surprise, this is NJ politics with the mob mentality after all.

Edit: I should also say that it was highly unnecessary. If they wanted to cause a traffic jam at the GWB during rush hour, they really didn't have to do anything because that happens on its own everyday.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhankey81701 View Post
    Not really a huge surprise, this is NJ politics with the mob mentality after all.

Edit: I should also say that it was highly unnecessary. If they wanted to cause a traffic jam at the GWB during rush hour, they really didn't have to do anything because that happens on its own everyday.
    Agreed. My reason for posting it more about the narrative of Christie as presidential candidate. There are lot of stories and rumors about Christie's tone and attitude, but this is a concrete example.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Agreed. My reason for posting it more about the narrative of Christie as presidential candidate. There are lot of stories and rumors about Christie's tone and attitude, but this is a concrete example.
    Absolutely especially now that Christie is considered the front runner for the GOP nomination in 2016 there are going to be a lot more national stories about him. I personally like Christie, but I'm not sure how his NJ in your face attitude and heavy handed attitude will fly on the national level. It definitely works locally as he won the election by a landslide, but again nationally I'm not sure if everyone will like it.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not really much there. Everyone knows Christie is a big mouth politician.

The attacks dogs never sleep but there's a hint of early desperation in this one.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone34 View Post
    Not really much there. Everyone knows Christie is a big mouth politician.

The attacks dogs never sleep but there's a hint of early desperation in this one.
    You could have said the same about Romney. Everyone knew he was rich and a bit out of touch with the "common folk." That didn't stop the Dems from creating that narrative and pounding him into the ground with it.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gov. Chris Christie on Thursday apologized for highway lane closures apparently ordered by his aides as political retribution, said he had "no knowledge or involvement" in what happened and sought to assure New Jerseyans the actions are not typical of the way his administration does business.

"This is the exception, not the rule," he told a news conference.

Christie, who had previously assured the public his staff had no involvement in the road closings, said he had fired Deputy Chief of Staff Bridget Anne Kelly "because she lied to me."

Kelly was the latest casualty in a widening scandal that threatens to upend Christie's second term and likely run for president in 2016. Documents suggest she arranged traffic jams to punish Fort Lee's mayor for not endorsing Christie.

The revelations thrust a regional transportation issue into a national conversation raising new questions about the ambitious governor's leadership on the eve of a second term designed to jumpstart his road to the White House.
    http://news.yahoo.com/christie-fires...-politics.html
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't understand why this is such a big deal when the Federal Government did everything they could to make the sequester cuts as painful as possible. Imagine that, people in power manipulating the system to get their way and punish people who don't conform to their will.

Before you hammer me as a homer...I really despise Christy and think he is a schmuck! I have always voted for republicans for POTUS but I may just vote against this asshole if he gets nominated. He is the definition of a RINO!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not really a big deal, but the liberal media will make it out to be, and the liberal attack dogs will try to make this an issue. Christie took responsibility and fired the people that were responsible for the stupid lane closing. Meanwhile no investigations into Benghazi, IRS targeting, and "Fast and Furious", or Eric Holder.
    Just pure partisan bluster and blatant partisanship by the media.
    This story will fade fast.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Another politician abusing power. Never seen this before.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote