Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Christie Staff Sought Lane Closures as Revenge

1. -11
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    Another politician abusing power. Never seen this before.

Really, the story isn't about the lane closing. It is about the derailing of Christie politically. Never saw that before either.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    Really, the story isn't about the lane closing. It is about the derailing of Christie politically. Never saw that before either.
    It's politics for sure and I don't see this hurting him in the long run. It's not he's drone bombing innocent people or anything. But it does make you pause at bit when someone who claims to be against too much government. Is using that government for political vendettas and the people suffer for it. Bad form no matter how you dice it.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    It's politics for sure and I don't see this hurting him in the long run. It's not he's drone bombing innocent people or anything. But it does make you pause at bit when someone who claims to be against too much government. Is using that government for political vendettas and the people suffer for it. Bad form no matter how you dice it.
    He is following in Obama's footsteps. Following the hurricane, he hurt Romney campaign by sucking up to obozo. I didn't think that was necessary. He was trying to bolster his own popularity politically using the disaster. He has liberal ethics IMHO.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    He is following in Obama's footsteps. Following the hurricane, he hurt Romney campaign by sucking up to obozo. I didn't think that was necessary. He was trying to bolster his own popularity politically using the disaster. He has liberal ethics IMHO.
    Bingo, I didn't like him before that but really dislike him now. You can't be conservative when it suits you then belly-ache to the federal government when your state is unprepared for disaster. He had a chance to show some real conservative leadership and he folded like a wet dish towel. Screw him! I called BS then and I stand by it.

Bush has committed all of us forever more to paying for natural disasters and people's lack of preparation with his shenanigans in New Orleans and the Gulf after Katrina.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Bingo, I didn't like him before that but really dislike him now. You can't be conservative when it suits you then belly-ache to the federal government when your state is unprepared for disaster. He had a chance to show some real conservative leadership and he folded like a wet dish towel. Screw him! I called BS then and I stand by it.

Bush has committed all of us forever more to paying for natural disasters and people's lack of preparation with his shenanigans in New Orleans and the Gulf after Katrina.

Sorry, dude-without-a-house-or-anything-to-eat, but your governor is a lazy asshole so... no food for you.

Seriously?
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Sorry, dude-without-a-house-or-anything-to-eat, but your governor is a lazy asshole so... no food for you.

Seriously?
    The state should prepare their own emergency plan. You forget, I have endured a few hurricanes myself and had to gut my house and have gone a few weeks without electricity a few times. Guess what, no government hand outs here. Sandy was in the Atlantic for how many weeks? They had ample time to prepare. Food, water and basic shelter I have no problem with, that is absolutely rational and humanitarian. However, rebuilding the entire area on the taxpayers dime is bull ****!

I volunteered, as did a lot of my family, to rebuild houses in coastal Mississippi. Surprisingly, most of the other volunteers were conservative WASP Christians...where the hell were all the loud mouthed liberals that are so quick to spend other people's money? Most of the people we helped were black or Vietnamese...where is all of the hate we were supposed to have?

In fact, I was the acting COO at a non-profit for a year that rebuilt Katrina homes. I saw, fist hand, the waste and redistribution of wealth as well as the outright theft and corruption. The crap they show on TV is nowhere near reality. People have enough money to drive a Lexus but not enough to buy home owners insurance. WTF?

Quote Quote  

8. -18
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    The state should prepare their own emergency plan. You forget, I have endured a few hurricanes myself and had to gut my house and have gone a few weeks without electricity a few times. Guess what, no government hand outs here. Sandy was in the Atlantic for how many weeks? They had ample time to prepare. Food, water and basic shelter I have no problem with, that is absolutely rational and humanitarian. However, rebuilding the entire area on the taxpayers dime is bull ****!

I volunteered, as did a lot of my family, to rebuild houses in coastal Mississippi. Surprisingly, most of the other volunteers were conservative WASP Christians...where the hell were all the loud mouthed liberals that are so quick to spend other people's money? Most of the people we helped were black or Vietnamese...where is all of the hate we were supposed to have?

In fact, I was the acting COO at a non-profit for a year that rebuilt Katrina homes. I saw, fist hand, the waste and redistribution of wealth as well as the outright theft and corruption. The crap they show on TV is nowhere near reality. People have enough money to drive a Lexus but not enough to buy home owners insurance. WTF?

I think what you're describing what you've done here is very commendable. It's beyond commendable.

At the same time, there's a reason they're called disasters. Sometimes they're disastrous... as in beyond containment by any plan we'd consider reasonable. If you look at what Sandy did to New Jersey and New York, I honestly don't know how you prepare yourself adequately for that, beyond asking Superman to clear his schedule.

Every part of this country faces it's own particular natural disasters. No one is immune. As a result I think it's perfectly reasonable for the federal government to step in and help communities rebuild, since everybody is paying in and everyone is taking out. I don't doubt there are people that cheat and freeload and game the system, but that's only an excuse to defund these programs. It's not a reason. And it's not like the federal government steps in and does everything in any case. Look at New Orleans. It still hasn't recovered completely from Katrina, and it doesn't look like it ever will. Large numbers of people have moved permanently to Mississippi and Texas, especially Houston, as I'm sure you know.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I think what you're describing what you've done here is very commendable. It's beyond commendable.

At the same time, there's a reason they're called disasters. Sometimes they're disastrous... as in beyond containment by any plan we'd consider reasonable. If you look at what Sandy did to New Jersey and New York, I honestly don't know how you prepare yourself adequately for that, beyond asking Superman to clear his schedule.

Every part of this country faces it's own particular natural disasters. No one is immune. As a result I think it's perfectly reasonable for the federal government to step in and help communities rebuild, since everybody is paying in and everyone is taking out. I don't doubt there are people that cheat and freeload and game the system, but that's only an excuse to defund these programs. It's not a reason. And it's not like the federal government steps in and does everything in any case. Look at New Orleans. It still hasn't recovered completely from Katrina, and it doesn't look like it ever will. Large numbers of people have moved permanently to Mississippi and Texas, especially Houston, as I'm sure you know.
    I totally get your point and am not advocating that we eliminate FEMA or anything. A federal response with life essentials is critical. Sometimes, military vehicles are all that can reach the victims. However, the response to Katrina far exceeded anything that we have ever done before on a national level so far as rebuilding and that is where my problem lies. I was there for hurricanes David, Andrew, Frances, Charlie, Jean, Ivan, etc. and my parents were first responders for 9/11. None of these disasters received the federal rebuilding dollars that Katrina did. NJ and NY just wanted their piece of the pie following Sandy. Why carry homeowners insurance or wind storm if the government will rebuild your house anyway...nicer than it was before the storm!

Was NO more devastated than Homestead during Andrew? I saw both and that is a tough call. However, the response was different and I am quite convinced that it was the media hammering Bush about not caring about black people.

Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Ours is the fury.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This whole story reads like an episode of the Sopranos or the Wire.
    but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Quote Originally Posted by King Stannis Baratheon
    Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.
    Quote Quote