Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast food workers going on strike

1. -11
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I know you well enough to know better but that didn't come off well.

I make 8.25$ an hour working part-time in the backroom at Sears. It's a criminal wage in my opinion given the type of work we do and the frequency with which we put our body in harms way, but I'm putting up with it for now until I find something else. I also only work about 17 hours a week (they don't generally assign more hours than that for people at my position unless it's the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving and Christmas), so I don't doubt that she'd like the opportunity to work more hours if they were afforded to her. Almost everyone I work with has some other type of 2nd job which also only wants to give them about 15 hours a week.

Now, to your point, I'm only doing this while I work through college, but I'll also say that at 23 I'm the youngest guy there, so not everyone who works at or near minimum wage is a teenager or retiree. We have a few dude's who've been working here for years and make less than 10$ an hour. We also have low employee-retention at my position because it's the hardest job in the store and we get paid the least. Most people get fed up within a few months (like I am now); which in turn consistently affects the store's performance.

Generally speaking, though, I don't really understand the indigence that inevitably appears whenever the subject of the minimum wage being higher is broached. I struggle to understand exactly how they feel it affects them. Is it a status thing? Do the people who make, say, 15-20$ an hour feel like their being cheated if the poors who make 7.25 get an extra dollar or two? I'm not sure.

I'm with Wildbill. You know who spends the largest percentage of their income? Poor people. You give it to them and they'll give it right back to you. Rising tide lifts all boats. These aren't people asking for hand-outs, either. They just want a living wage.
    I do acknowledge that my comment was a little callous and even racist. I shouldn't have said that because, as you said, it isn't my normal way of acting. I truly apologize if I offended you or anyone else...I was just trying to be funny and it flopped.

To your other points, I don't have anything against you or anyone else making whatever you can make-quite the opposite. I do have a problem with raising the minimum wage though to $10.25 or whatever it is because some jobs will just be eliminated in lieu of paying that. You are a college student, working through school, and that is what part-time menial labor jobs are useful for. I worked at Gumby's Pizza in Tallahassee in school. It sucked but it gave me an income.

Just like me, you are learning a skill and are getting an education so that you can achieve more than stocking at Sears. There is no shame in busting your butt and earning your chops. I admire you for doing so.

The lowest-paid employee in my office makes $10.25/hour as a CNA and she works her but off. I have pushed her hard to finish her education and she is sitting for her LVN license next month. I am so proud of her I can't stand it and she is already enrolled to get her RN. Guess what...she is a minority too, 100% Mexican. People need to be responsible for their life choices and if they never aspire to or work to change their circumstances then they get what they get.

With that being said, the minimum wage should be set to a reasonable amount then adjusted yearly with the CPI or cost of living. However it isn't now nor should it ever be reflective of the minimum amount of money someone would have to make to meet an adequate standard of living. It is a starting point for the absolutely least qualified and experienced employees working jobs with the absolute least amount of requirements.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I do acknowledge that my comment was a little callous and even racist. I shouldn't have said that because, as you said, it isn't my normal way of acting. I truly apologize if I offended you or anyone else...I was just trying to be funny and it flopped.

To your other points, I don't have anything against you or anyone else making whatever you can make-quite the opposite. I do have a problem with raising the minimum wage though to $10.25 or whatever it is because some jobs will just be eliminated in lieu of paying that. You are a college student, working through school, and that is what part-time menial labor jobs are useful for. I worked at Gumby's Pizza in Tallahassee in school. It sucked but it gave me an income.

Just like me, you are learning a skill and are getting an education so that you can achieve more than stocking at Sears. There is no shame in busting your butt and earning your chops. I admire you for doing so.

The lowest-paid employee in my office makes $10.25/hour as a CNA and she works her but off. I have pushed her hard to finish her education and she is sitting for her LVN license next month. I am so proud of her I can't stand it and she is already enrolled to get her RN. Guess what...she is a minority too, 100% Mexican. People need to be responsible for their life choices and if they never aspire to or work to change their circumstances then they get what they get.

With that being said, the minimum wage should be set to a reasonable amount then adjusted yearly with the CPI or cost of living. However it isn't now nor should it ever be reflective of the minimum amount of money someone would have to make to meet an adequate standard of living. It is a starting point for the absolutely least qualified and experienced employees working jobs with the absolute least amount of requirements.

jobs on a whole didn't disappear with the last min wage hike, and they won't with the next one.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    When I started working at age 15 in 1975 while in High school, I was making 2.95hr and then 3.25hr after it was raised shortly there after. After graduation, I juggled 3 PT jobs working day and night to pay to save for college and also to pay my tuition. I did this for 4 years until graduated in 1984, without mom and dad's help. I rented my own appt and split with room mates. I had little social life because I had to study,etc.
    If you have the desire and some ambition, folks can pull themselves out and get better jobs.
    These jobs are supposed to supplement your income. Unless someone wants to become a store manger, they know before applying how much it pays.
    The bottom line is that the cost of these pay increases will get passed along to the consumer at the fast food restaurant and the grocery store, causing the employers to shift to technology to replace the people.
    Those jobs are not forever. Then what?
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Part of the reason people believe that raising the minimum wage will increase prices is because fast food chains use the passing of an increase as an excuse to raise prices. I remember this when I was in Gainesville. A minimum wage hike passed and the next day the price of everything at McDonalds went up like a buck (this was back when I was eating a lot of fast food )... despite the fact that the wage hike wasn't going in affect for another year. They just wanted to send a message.

Whatabuger didn't raise their prices, btw. They got my business instead.

#freespesh
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Part of the reason people believe that raising the minimum wage will increase prices is because fast food chains use the passing of an increase as an excuse to raise prices. I remember this when I was in Gainesville. A minimum wage hike passed and the next day the price of everything at McDonalds went up like a buck (this was back when I was eating a lot of fast food )... despite the fact that the wage hike wasn't going in affect for another year. They just wanted to send a message.

Whatabuger didn't raise their prices, btw. They got my business instead.
    That pretty much sounds like gas stations across the country raising gas prices over a dollar a gallon when Katrina hit despite no reduction in commune of oil. It has never come down...they just conditioned us that $3.25 is the norm for gas. What a bunch of BS!

Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    Bill, I get your point but can assure you that if they raise the minimum wage to $11 as the posters suggest, a lot of people will lose their jobs. I am not worried about prices as they are going up regardless. Given what the Walmart poster above says, do you really think they would just take a lesser profit or cut staff and raise prices? I can sure you they will raise prices and cut staff then walk away with a higher margin than they already have.

Quote Quote