Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast food workers going on strike

1. -21
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    they won't have to cut workers, because the majority of their workers already shop there. give them more money they will just spend more money. there is no way walmart loses money.

Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Ours is the fury.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Working a grease-fryer is not a career.
    but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Quote Originally Posted by King Stannis Baratheon
    Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Like me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If someone could get all these dumbass fools that run businesses like Walmart to understand that by having everything they sell made overseas no one has jobs to get a paycheck to buy the s**t they sell.
    If someone could get all these dumbass fools that run unions to understand that a kid out of high school isn't worth twenty five dollars an hour to sweep floors at a car plant all of our cars wouldn't be made in Japan , Once again more jobs , Better paychecks .
    Every year our workforce increases and our number of jobs does not increase enough to match it .
    We do not need more foreign workers in our country , all that will do is suppress wages further .
    We do not need more Toyota's in our country , That just means less jobs , and lower wages for our country .
    When you go buy a Toyota think about all of the paychecks you paid to people in a country that will never put a penny in to your countries economy .
    Think of all of the taxes that those people paid to the Japanese government that will never benefit you .
    Why are wages so low ???
    We gave our country away to cheap foreign labor in and out of this country .
    And now our government has to borrow money from these countries to pay for Obama phones .
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    they won't have to cut workers, because the majority of their workers already shop there. give them more money they will just spend more money. there is no way walmart loses money.
    You are likely right but you didn't catch what I said, they will raise prices and cut staff because they will have a free pass to do so and it will raise their margin. They will do it before the new wages ever go into effect. Again, it will go down just like gas prices after Katrina...huge price increase before the damage is even assessed and any impact is even considered. It is the nature of business where perception is reality and this will happen most everywhere.

When the end result is less but higher paying jobs at the low end and higher prices on low end products, I struggle to see how anyone is better off except the liberal politicians. They will laud themselves as heroes for passing the legislation and coddle the ours who lost their jobs with endless social welfare...further ensuring their job security. How about we dedicate this time, effort, and money toward training people to be worth more than minimum wage so that it is a non issue? That I will absolutely buy into!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    When I started working at age 15 in 1975 while in High school, I was making 2.95hr and then 3.25hr after it was raised shortly there after. After graduation, I juggled 3 PT jobs working day and night to pay to save for college and also to pay my tuition. I did this for 4 years until graduated in 1984, without mom and dad's help. I rented my own appt and split with room mates. I had little social life because I had to study,etc.
    If you have the desire and some ambition, folks can pull themselves out and get better jobs.
    These jobs are supposed to supplement your income. Unless someone wants to become a store manger, they know before applying how much it pays.
    The bottom line is that the cost of these pay increases will get passed along to the consumer at the fast food restaurant and the grocery store, causing the employers to shift to technology to replace the people.
    Those jobs are not forever. Then what?
    I understand what youre saying, but do you realize that the 3.25 minimum wage you were making in '75 is the equivalent to about 14.08 today? Young people have it about twice as hard as you had it. Nobody is saying minimum wage workers should be living large, but 7.00 or whatever it is is just ridiculous.

Ive worked a minimum wage job before and was living at home, rent free, and it was still tight to take care of all my **** on 250-300 a week. Cell phone bill, car insurance, health insurance, repairs for vehicle, gas, the assortment of random **** that I need, and all a sudden I barely have anything leftover. I dont even know how Id have pulled off living in my own place and it not be in a **** hole. And I was working my ass off.
    Last edited by tylerdolphin; 01-12-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Quote  

6. -26
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by COphinphan89 View Post
    Working a grease-fryer is not a career.
    Thats true, but not many people make it a career. Maybe some 22 year old just needs something to keep him on his feet until he can move on to bigger and better things.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    teammates

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    when i was younger i worked in a unionized box factory. i remember how the union reps would come around and try to push us into shopping at certain stores because they were also unionized. one of the stores they pushed for was a grocery store called giant eagle. the problem with that was that their prices were quite a bit higher for the same products as the store down the road. some memebers complained and they were told the reason the prices were higher was because their union got them better wages than the other store.

u cant raise the price of labor with out raising the cost of the product.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finintheburgh View Post
    when i was younger i worked in a unionized box factory. i remember how the union reps would come around and try to push us into shopping at certain stores because they were also unionized. one of the stores they pushed for was a grocery store called giant eagle. the problem with that was that their prices were quite a bit higher for the same products as the store down the road. some memebers complained and they were told the reason the prices were higher was because their union got them better wages than the other store.

u cant raise the price of labor with out raising the cost of the product.
    the price of the product is already going up. inflation is already going up. Min wage is supposed to match inflation, if this is the case then surely 7 years and 7.25 is not helping the American people.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    teammates

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    the price of the product is already going up. inflation is already going up. Min wage is supposed to match inflation, if this is the case then surely 7 years and 7.25 is not helping the American people.
    are going to raise all wages across the board
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finintheburgh View Post
    are going to raise all wages across the board
    min wage is just that, and it's the only thing the gov't can mandate. I've been in workplaces where the people coming in were earning what the people who had been there for years had to work for. jealousy is never pretty. Personally I've never understood this whole elitist additude and the it's not fair to me crowd when it comes to paychecks.
    Quote Quote