Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast food workers going on strike

1. -31
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    On more of a side note, I just hired a 20 year old kid the other day for pretty much the bottom rung position in the company. Pay them $9.50 an hour and its basic work. It's mainly a position filled by young kids in college or just getting out. It's a part time job that earns them some extra money.

It's always sobering seeing some of the people coming in to apply when I advertise that I'm hiring for the position. Men in their 30s and 40s in suits come in almost practically begging for the position even though they are waaaay overqualified.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    the price of the product is already going up. inflation is already going up. Min wage is supposed to match inflation, if this is the case then surely 7 years and 7.25 is not helping the American people.
    This is the problem with the system, they haven't adjusted the minimum wage in seven years and now want to make a huge jump. They need to establish a reasonable rate for the present and put an automatic system into place where it adjusts every year in lock step with the CPI. Make the increase or even decrease in conjunction to actual prices rather than presuming anything. That seems to be the most reasonable system to me and would eliminate a lot of the conjecture and politics out of the deal...which means it will never, ever happen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    teammates

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    min wage is just that, and it's the only thing the gov't can mandate. I've been in workplaces where the people coming in were earning what the people who had been there for years had to work for. jealousy is never pretty. Personally I've never understood this whole elitist additude and the it's not fair to me crowd when it comes to paychecks.
    what do you think happens to the jobs where people make 12-15 dollars an hour? how do you tell a guy who's working on a roof , carrying block or doing pretty much any physical work that they are only worth 2 dollars an hour more than a guy flipping burghers. who in there right mind is going to bust their ass when they can do cupcake work and make just as much.

not many jobs start you out at a high rate. most union jobs start you out way below what the experienced guy gets, after you prove your self then yo get the better wages. min wage jobs are similiar they are used to show that you have worked and that yo will work. their not lifelong jobs unless you chose to make them such. raising the min wage to that kind of level only increases the amount of people who will stay at that level.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good for her, maybe by striking and losing out of $290 a week will get the boroughs to raise the minimum wage. NYC has the highest cost of living in the country, their minimum wage should be around double what it is here. SF, DC, and others among the highest in cost of livings have higher and continually raise...Occupy Wall Street stole all their thunder or just don't care?

Minimum wage should at worst be indexed by state because of their economic differences, at best as in DC-Maryland counties recently by regions given significant intrastate economic differences.
    Edit: Apology. minimum wage had been raised.

http://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/x...Paid+Sick+Days
    Last Updated: April 13 2013

New York State Raised Its Minimum Wage

On April 1, 2013, Governor Cuomo signed legislation that will increase New York's minimum wage over a three year period, eventually raising the minimum wage from $7.25 per hour to $9.00 per hour. Starting January 1, 2014, the minimum wage in New York will raise $0.75 from $7.25 per hour to $8.00 per hour. In 2015, the minimum wage will raise another $0.75 to $8.75 per hour. Finally, in 2016, the minimum wage will increase to $9.00 per hour. While the tipped minimum wage for food service workers remains unaffected, a new wage board will be convened in the coming months and the tip credit, meal credit, and other matters affected by the Hospitality Wage Order will again be up for grabs.

Under the legislation, effective April 1, 2014, all New York City employers must provide up to five sick days to "covered employees" so that such individuals can care for themselves or a close family member. For employers with 20 or more employees, the five sick days must be paid. On October 15, 2015, the requirement to provide paid sick days to employees expands to employers with 15 or more employees. For those employees who receive most of their compensation in the form of "gratuities," it appears that the legislation only requires the employer to pay the employee his or her base wages.
    http://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/x...Paid+Sick+Days

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/04/ny...-more-pay.html

Fast-Food Workers Plan Second Strike for More Pay
    Published: April 4, 2013
    Ms. Verges welcomed the recent agreement to raise New York’s minimum wage to $9 an hour, but said it fell far short of what workers needed. She insists that she deserves $15 an hour, saying it is hugely difficult to live in New York on her weekly paycheck of $122. That is what she nets from working 25 hours a week at $7.25 an hour.
    A little dated, latest update googled as from beginning of December of last year

http://news.yahoo.com/fast-food-stri...--finance.html

Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes
    December 5

In New York City, about 100 protesters blew whistles and beat drums while marching into a McDonald's at around 6:30 a.m.; one startled customer grabbed his food and fled as they flooded the restaurant, while another didn't look up from eating and reading amid their chants of "We can't survive on $7.25!"
    Last edited by Eshlemon; 01-14-2014 at 05:31 AM.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    And technology is going to not just going to cost future jobs tremendously at fast food restaurants, Applebee's is putting in 100,0000 tablets, one for every table, in 2014.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/100-00...130000718.html

Possibly a poor investment, 1/3 of people own tablets, half own smart phones. Wifi availability and online ordering are expanding at restaurants now anyhow, could see restaurants developing apps for orders at the table instead of purchasing a tablet for every table.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have what I have because I busted my ass. I've dug ditches when I was laid off, I've hayed fields, work as a mason tender, carpenter, glazzer, roofer, labour at a paving company. I'm a mechanical engineer by degree and hold U.S patents but even still I'm not above working any job if I need to.

The problem with America is simple, people think they are "owed" a living and they are wrong. I'm sorry if you think you are owed something in the world but you're not, no one took my hand when I was scratching tooth and nail to stay afloat. I did it on my own working 80 hours a week and three jobs.

So I don't have much sympathy here and frankly I'd tell them to go **** themselves.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    I have what I have because I busted my ass. I've dug ditches when I was laid off, I've hayed fields, work as a mason tender, carpenter, glazzer, roofer, labour at a paving company. I'm a mechanical engineer by degree and hold U.S patents but even still I'm not above working any job if I need to.

The problem with America is simple, people think they are "owed" a living and they are wrong. I'm sorry if you think you are owed something in the world but you're not, no one took my hand when I was scratching tooth and nail to stay afloat. I did it on my own working 80 hours a week and three jobs.

So I don't have much sympathy here and frankly I'd tell them to go **** themselves.
    Well said, sir!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91

Ive done a lot of the same things you have. Im not lazy. I dont think anyone "owed" me anything except fair compensation for my time. I dont believe I was fairly compensated at minimum wage. Older people in my experience tend to not understand it because they dont realize how much more buying power they had at or around minimum wage years ago as opposed to now.

Whats really crazy to me is that, in general, the same people who are tooth and nail against raising the minimum wage are the same ones that always complain about government assistance programs like food stamps and such. Maybe if people could afford food they would need food stamps. In mine and most peoples cases, minimum wage is temporary and we just needed it to stay afloat for a period. Im lucky I had middle class parents because the minimum wage cant keep anyone afloat even for a short period.
    Last edited by tylerdolphin; 01-12-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

I think the narrative that “these people are only working the jobs they're working is because they don’t work hard enough” is simplistic and misguided. Some people just have a bad roll of the dice from a genetics stand point. In many cases they just don’t have the intelligence to get a substantially higher paying job. In a lot of cases it has nothing to do with how hard someone works.

“Five days a week, Dejun Jackson wakes at 4:30 to get to the Chicago Chick-fil-A in time to start his shift at 5:45.

He works behind the counter until 1 pm, when he walks to his second job as a cashier at Walgreens. He starts there at 1:10 or 1:15, and is on his feet until his shift ends at 9 or 9:30. He heads home, crashes, and wakes up to do it all again.

Jackson, who is 23, has a five year-old son and four-year-old daughter. The kids are asleep when he leaves in the morning and have already gone to bed by the time he gets home. The only real time he gets to spend with them is on weekends.

"Their mom is doing it all," he said. "I work to put food on the table. My money is needed, but so is my time, and all I want to be able to do is give them more time."

Between the two jobs, Jackson is working about 70 hours a week. He makes $8.75 an hour at Chick-fil-A and $10.22 at Walgreens, where he's been working for three years. He's also studying to get his bachelor's degree in criminal justice and psychology so that one day he only has to work one job, one shift.

His children's mom works at Walgreens, too, making $10 an hour. The kids are in daycare all day, which costs them $150 each month, until she gets off work at 6:30.

One job helps him cover the cost of school, and the other helps him pay the bills. Already, he owes his college $7,000. On top of the daycare fees, he's paying $575 each month for rent, as well as transportation costs to-and-from work and hundreds of dollars for groceries.

What's left over isn't enough to cover the cost of health insurance. When Walgreens said this week it would stop offering insurance directly to its workers in 2014, he shrugged it off as something else he couldn't afford”.
    http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/20/news...mum-wage-jobs/

Does he not work hard enough?
    Last edited by rob19; 01-12-2014 at 11:28 PM.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I think the narrative that “these people are only working the jobs their working is because they don’t work hard enough” is incredibly simplistic and misguided. Some people just have a bad roll of the dice from a genetics stand point. In many cases they just don’t have the intelligence to get a substantially higher paying job. In a lot of cases it has nothing to do with how hard someone works.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/20/news...mum-wage-jobs/

Does he not work hard enough?
    The question is not whether he works hard. The minimum wage isn't based on how hard anyone works. That is merely the base rate for unskilled labor.

In all markets there is a price set by the supply and demand. Labor is not different from eggs in this matter. More eggs in the market and the price comes down. Fewer and the price goes up.

Labor has complicating features. The skill required to do jobs, and the education required put another layer of sophistication into the analysis. The job of a fry chef will have a different market established wage than that of an NFL quarterback. There are supply, demand, skill, knowledge, and ability issues that differentiate these jobs. Both professions require someone who will work hard to do the job. However, the NFL QB makes more because of the rarity of his job and the requisite background.

When someone chooses a life of an unskilled laborer, they will always be paid at the bottom rung of society. It is their choice. You argue that people don't choose that? I disagree in most cases. Should you decide that school isn't important and you'd rather have fun, you have made yourself less marketable. Should you decide not to go to college, you have made yourself less marketable. Should you decide to engage in drugs/alcohol as a lifestyle, you have made yourself less marketable. Should you decide to have children when you are young, you have made yourself less marketable. Should you decide to have children out of wedlock, you have made yourself less marketable - and doomed your kids to poverty. The stats are compelling.

So people, for the most part, decide to engage in behaviors that feel good now, but do not provide them with long range success. Then they blame society and expect someone else to pay for the outcomes that were entirely predictable in their life.
    Quote Quote