Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: VOTING: Best Political Forum Poster

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • rob19

    8 14.55%
  • TheWalrus

    8 14.55%
  • Buddy

    17 30.91%
  • Locke

    14 25.45%
  • Spesh

    8 14.55%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: VOTING: Best Political Forum Poster

  1. -11
    Spesh's Avatar
    #freespesh
    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    12,144
    vCash:
    1294
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Truthfully, Vaark, I don't know of a single candidate among the names being tossed around that I would truly be happy to vote for outside of Jon Huntsman. I can assure you that Hillary, Biden, and Christie are absolutely at the bottom of my heap. Rubio or Rand Paul I could probably tolerate but I am not overly impressed with either. Although he is not perfect, I like Huntsman more than anyone I can think of right now but don't think he will garner the support from the Republican establishment that will be needed to secure the nomination.

    What I would like, if it exists, is someone with very conservative fiscal values who believes in individual rights and responsibilities. I want someone who adheres religiously to the constitution and lets the constitution set their course rather than trying to bend the constitution to support their agenda. I want someone who actively pulls the government out of people's lives instead of playing babysitter or overlord. I want someone who will rid us of unnecessary regulations and departments. I want someone who recognizes and respects states rights as well as their responsibilities. I want someone who lives by their religion but doesn't try to mandate their religion - give people the right to chose their course just as God does but make them responsible for the consequences of their decision. Finally, I want someone who can remove some of the divisiveness that is poisoning our government today and who can create teamwork and synergy inside our government and with our military and economic partners throughout the globe.

    Although Huntsman has not struck me yet as being as fiscally conservative as I would like (he's not bad at all but I am a bit extreme here although his views are much more palatable than mine to most people), I believe that he ticks a lot of the other boxes and would appeal to many of the people in the middle of the bell curve rather than the party "base" at either end. He is very anti-abortion and that will alienate some people in a general election (I don't agree with abortion but don't agree with outlawing it either) but he is very pro-gun which I definitely like although that, too, will alienate some people. Conversely, he supports civil unions for homosexuals and I think that is about as good as you are going to get from a bonafide Republican these days. I like his ties to Asia and think that his view of a global economy is spot-on. I like his record on taxes and spending as he lowered both in his term as governor of Utah. Overall, he is about as good of a candidate to unify America and "...right the ship" as I know of.
    Careful Buddy, your dangerously close to endorsing a Democrat:

    And here’s what he(Huntsman) said when a member of the audience posed this question to him: “Given the present direction and positions the party has taken ... is there room for people like you?”
    Well, he answered, “I’m sitting here as a Republican.” But after he talked with great enthusiasm about the rise of the unaffiliated voter and the challenge to the political duopoly, I posed one more question.

    “Why do I get the feeling,” I asked him, “that if we have this conversation a couple of years from now, you will not be sitting here as a Republican?”

    “Because,” he said with a smile, “you’re a good journalist.”

    Flattery aside, the answer couldn’t have been clearer.
    http://news.yahoo.com/why-jon-huntsm...mmunists-.html

    Cleanse yourself my friend, cleanse!


    http://www.thedrawplay.com/comic/cam-newton-no-respect/

    Terrorist attack count against the Anything Goes Thread: 5

  2. -12
    Buddy's Avatar
    Starter
    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    9,345
    vCash:
    86613
    Loc:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Careful Buddy, your dangerously close to endorsing a Democrat:



    http://news.yahoo.com/why-jon-huntsm...mmunists-.html

    Cleanse yourself my friend, cleanse!
    Do you know how hard the Republican Party has made it for an intelligent person to endorse the morons that they put forth as candidates. Yeah, this is coming from someone who truly believes in at least half of what they are supposed to stand for. As you know, I do not consider myself a Republican. I am a conservative with libertarian leanings, I guess. Huntsman is alright, regardless of party. Cut taxes and spending and get the government out of my life as much as possible and I will vote for you every time!

    With that being said, **** off you yellow-dog democrat!

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

  3. -13
    Spesh's Avatar
    #freespesh
    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    12,144
    vCash:
    1294
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    So since you guys are competing in this particular category, I'm curious if you could select a specific individual to serve as our next president ...who would that be and why??
    Even in a hypothetical discussion, i dont feel confident forming any definitive opinion on anyone would could be in a position to run in 2 years. In fact, the only thing i could specifically say is: i dont like anyone for 2016. Thats a bit of a cop out, so i'll throw around some random thoughts that should shed some light on my indifference.

    -I can confidently state that some of the usual suspects would be an utter disaster. Ted Cruz and Hillary Clinton would both be awful, just awful. Fortunately, Ted Cruz has absolutely no chance. He might be popular in his echo chamber at the moment, but hes going to grow even more poisonous to the public in years to come. Im looking forward to the day his base pulls up stakes and bails on him, something i dont think he sees coming. As well, despite his intelligence, Cruz is thoroughly lacking in political knowledge and that would be exposed quickly in a campaign. I'll throw up an article at the bottom of this post showing some of the behind the scenes incidents during the October shutdown. Its a good read even for the non-political.
    Moving on to the bad, Hillary unfortunately has a legitimate chance of becoming President. Shes going to decide the atmosphere of that election, whatever she does(declares or quits) will set the entire foundation. I have no idea what shes done to deserve her popularity but if she declares and has even a semi-competent campaign she could walk into the office.

    -Chris Christie will be popular, but his political career could end this week. While im inclined to believe him when he says he knew nothing about Bridgegate, subpoena's are now being drawn up. If its discovered he directed it, then hes screwed. Not to mention the Republican primary would/will rip him to shreds for supposedly being a RINO.

    -Speaking of that, their primary process is going to eat alive any half decent candidate. Any candidate i could get excited about on the right would inevitably alienate me as they try and survive their primary. 2014 is going to be kind to conservatives and will bolster their resolve when it comes to their tactics and views. I think its going to take another defeat for the right to see they need to, at the very least, lean their views in the direction of the "center".

    -Like Buddy, there are some things i like about Huntsman(his experience with Asia highlights that list) but there are things i dont like about him as well. We shall see how his views "evolve" over the next few years and if he jumps parties.

    -Unlike the Republican primary, there are some up and comers on the left i could possible get behind. Unfortunately they all have some hideous flaws and should just sit home for 2016. Among the current "rockstars": Cory Booker, his admirable views on marriage equality aside, hasnt done much to impress me. Elizabeth Warren has the intelligence to succeed but lacks the patience, experience, and diplomacy to do the job with any sort of competency, not to mention shes worse then Biden when it comes to idiotic outbursts and quotes. Wendy Davis is a current media darling, but she's running for her first "real" election. Im not exactly excited about any of the "low key" candidates such as Andrew Cuomo or a retread like Howard Dean. I think Martin O'Malley has the potential to be a decent President, but his lack of "killer instinct" will get under my skin quickly(thats already begun).

    Perhaps someone will come out and light it up when the time comes, but for the moment im not giving that election too much thought. Nor do i see much reason to, because if Charlie Crist actually pulls off the democratic nomination for Florida Governor and my other option is Rick Scott, i'll try and block a sledgehammer with my neck.
    Heres the article on the cat-and-mouse games of the shutdown, Cruz is featured prominently:

    http://www.politico.com/story/2013/1...own-98518.html

  4. -14
    Buddy's Avatar
    Starter
    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    9,345
    vCash:
    86613
    Loc:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Even in a hypothetical discussion, i dont feel confident forming any definitive opinion on anyone would could be in a position to run in 2 years. In fact, the only thing i could specifically say is: i dont like anyone for 2016. Thats a bit of a cop out, so i'll throw around some random thoughts that should shed some light on my indifference.

    -I can confidently state that some of the usual suspects would be an utter disaster. Ted Cruz and Hillary Clinton would both be awful, just awful. Fortunately, Ted Cruz has absolutely no chance. He might be popular in his echo chamber at the moment, but hes going to grow even more poisonous to the public in years to come. Im looking forward to the day his base pulls up stakes and bails on him, something i dont think he sees coming. As well, despite his intelligence, Cruz is thoroughly lacking in political knowledge and that would be exposed quickly in a campaign. I'll throw up an article at the bottom of this post showing some of the behind the scenes incidents during the October shutdown. Its a good read even for the non-political.
    Moving on to the bad, Hillary unfortunately has a legitimate chance of becoming President. Shes going to decide the atmosphere of that election, whatever she does(declares or quits) will set the entire foundation. I have no idea what shes done to deserve her popularity but if she declares and has even a semi-competent campaign she could walk into the office.

    -Chris Christie will be popular, but his political career could end this week. While im inclined to believe him when he says he knew nothing about Bridgegate, subpoena's are now being drawn up. If its discovered he directed it, then hes screwed. Not to mention the Republican primary would/will rip him to shreds for supposedly being a RINO.

    -Speaking of that, their primary process is going to eat alive any half decent candidate. Any candidate i could get excited about on the right would inevitably alienate me as they try and survive their primary. 2014 is going to be kind to conservatives and will bolster their resolve when it comes to their tactics and views. I think its going to take another defeat for the right to see they need to, at the very least, lean their views in the direction of the "center".

    -Like Buddy, there are some things i like about Huntsman(his experience with Asia highlights that list) but there are things i dont like about him as well. We shall see how his views "evolve" over the next few years and if he jumps parties.

    -Unlike the Republican primary, there are some up and comers on the left i could possible get behind. Unfortunately they all have some hideous flaws and should just sit home for 2016. Among the current "rockstars": Cory Booker, his admirable views on marriage equality aside, hasnt done much to impress me. Elizabeth Warren has the intelligence to succeed but lacks the patience, experience, and diplomacy to do the job with any sort of competency, not to mention shes worse then Biden when it comes to idiotic outbursts and quotes. Wendy Davis is a current media darling, but she's running for her first "real" election. Im not exactly excited about any of the "low key" candidates such as Andrew Cuomo or a retread like Howard Dean. I think Martin O'Malley has the potential to be a decent President, but his lack of "killer instinct" will get under my skin quickly(thats already begun).

    Perhaps someone will come out and light it up when the time comes, but for the moment im not giving that election too much thought. Nor do i see much reason to, because if Charlie Crist actually pulls off the democratic nomination for Florida Governor and my other option is Rick Scott, i'll try and block a sledgehammer with my neck.
    Heres the article on the cat-and-mouse games of the shutdown, Cruz is featured prominently:

    http://www.politico.com/story/2013/1...own-98518.html
    I am praying that someone not currently on the scene will rise to the top of the primary's and election that will be wonderful. What I expect is Hillary and Chris Christie in a battle of idiocy! Eight more years of hell. :banghead:

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

  5. -15
    Vaark's Avatar
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces
    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    22,824
    vCash:
    52488
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Hey Buddy, although you can probably discern from my sporadic comments in that forum (when stuff really pissed me off), generally I identify less with your politics than some of these other guys. However, I do detest the extremes of both parties regardless of ideology; but I do find the hypocrisies (or at least as I perceive them) of the privileged more infuriating than the "do as I say, not as I do" by those purporting to represent the "downtrodden masses."

    Given all of that, I do not vote along party lines and consider myself an independent although registered as a Dem cuz I think their primaries are more critical to influence. But we are in agreement regarding John Huntsman as he's far and away also my candidate of choice. I was upset that the party and media rigged it against him getting exposure during the debates cuz what I've read and heard directly impressed me as someone who's not captive to an all consuming ideology nor intimidated by strong armed tactics and threats to toe the line. More than that, he's one of the few non-bozos out there who actually successfully ran a state in the black; that coupled with his Huntsman Chemical experience combine to forearm him with a sense of fiscal responsibility. He and his family's intangibles also resonate with me. They are the kind of family who would reflect positively on the office. And then there's the fact that he's a man of spiritual conviction, but with a flexibility that's unusual for LDS adherents. I like him a lot cognitively and viscerally and hope he gets more of a fair shot next go-around.

    Back in the 80s, I was initially enamored with Pierot because of his straightforward business background, approach and being unsullied by the political process - that's at least until a friend of mine, who's literally now become one of the captains of Wall Street clued me in that after doing some deals with him, the reality was far different than the image. I don't think that holds true with Huntsman, and I do like his business approach, moderation and flexibility to look at issues independently.



  6. -16
    Buddy's Avatar
    Starter
    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    9,345
    vCash:
    86613
    Loc:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    Hey Buddy, although you can probably discern from my sporadic comments in that forum (when stuff really pissed me off), generally I identify less with your politics than some of these other guys. However, I do detest the extremes of both parties regardless of ideology; but I do find the hypocrisies (or at least as I perceive them) of the privileged more infuriating than the "do as I say, not as I do" by those purporting to represent the "downtrodden masses."

    Given all of that, I do not vote along party lines and consider myself an independent although registered as a Dem cuz I think their primaries are more critical to influence. But we are in agreement regarding John Huntsman as he's far and away also my candidate of choice. I was upset that the party and media rigged it against him getting exposure during the debates cuz what I've read and heard directly impressed me as someone who's not captive to an all consuming ideology nor intimidated by strong armed tactics and threats to toe the line. More than that, he's one of the few non-bozos out there who actually successfully ran a state in the black; that coupled with his Huntsman Chemical experience combine to forearm him with a sense of fiscal responsibility. He and his family's intangibles also resonate with me. They are the kind of family who would reflect positively on the office. And then there's the fact that he's a man of spiritual conviction, but with a flexibility that's unusual for LDS adherents. I like him a lot cognitively and viscerally and hope he gets more of a fair shot next go-around.

    Back in the 80s, I was initially enamored with Pierot because of his straightforward business background, approach and being unsullied by the political process - that's at least until a friend of mine, who's literally now become one of the captains of Wall Street clued me in that after doing some deals with him, the reality was far different than the image. I don't think that holds true with Huntsman, and I do like his business approach, moderation and flexibility to look at issues independently.
    Your point of view highlights why I like Huntsman so much...he appeals to both sides of center more than the extremes. He could actually encourage unity rather than divisiveness.

    I am glad that you take the time to read my posts despite not agreeing with much of what I have to say. I do try to provide some rationale and not just regurgitate the crap off Fox News. Hopefully, I can pull you over to the Dark Side one day.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

  7. -17
    fishfanmiami's Avatar
    Grip it and rip it
    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2008
    Posts:
    14,210
    vCash:
    43743
    Golf EnthusiastsGolf EnthusiastsGolf Enthusiasts
    I liked Huntsmen as well but a guy with his moderate social views never stood a chance in the GOP primaries and there is no reason to think that will change.

    i haven't decided in this catagory. All excellent posters but only Walrus and Buddy usually post on the main forum. Since this is the political forum as in the real political world my vote is for sell to the highest bidder
    Last edited by fishfanmiami; 01-17-2014 at 01:50 AM.















  8. -18
    Buddy's Avatar
    Starter
    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    9,345
    vCash:
    86613
    Loc:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfanmiami View Post
    I liked Huntsmen as well but a guy with his moderate social views never stood a chance in the GOP primaries and there is no reason to think that will change.

    i haven't decided in this catagory. All excellent posters but only Walrus and Buddy usually post on the main forum. Since this is the political forum as in the real political world my vote for sell to the highest bidder
    What will it take to seal the deal?

  9. -19
    fishfanmiami's Avatar
    Grip it and rip it
    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2008
    Posts:
    14,210
    vCash:
    43743
    Golf EnthusiastsGolf EnthusiastsGolf Enthusiasts
    A verified vote for yours truly in the Lounge contest and a ringing posted endorsement in such event should do the trick nicely.



    But don't tell Vaark as he is my financial advisor (and friend) who is also in said contest though not actually competing at this time



    Kidding. You got my vote.

  10. -20
    Buddy's Avatar
    Starter
    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    9,345
    vCash:
    86613
    Loc:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfanmiami View Post
    A verified vote for yours truly in the Lounge contest and a ringing posted endorsement in such event should do the trick nicely.



    But don't tell Vaark as he is my financial advisor (and friend) who is also in said contest though not actually competing at this time



    Kidding. You got my vote.
    You the man! Down with the Liberals! I will do you right in the Lounge contest.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. VOTING: Best Political Forum Poster
    By Nublar7 in forum Previous Finheaven Awards
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 06:39 PM
  2. VOTING: Best Political Forum Poster
    By Nublar7 in forum Previous Finheaven Awards
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 08:53 PM
  3. Best Political Forum Poster Voting
    By Nublar7 in forum Previous Finheaven Awards
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 03:12 AM
  4. Best Political Forum Poster Voting
    By Nublar7 in forum Previous Finheaven Awards
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 04:34 PM
  5. Best Political Forum Poster Voting
    By Nublar7 in forum Previous Finheaven Awards
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 09:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •