Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Mock draft attempt #1.

Hybrid View

  1. -1
    Mudder1310's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2012
    Posts:
    1,518
    vCash:
    6670
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Mock draft attempt #1.

    I like to try one of these each year. I think it's probably too early for one that will closely mirror Miami's actual draft but it's fun to discuss. I'm going to make some assumptions like acquiring at least one O lineman in free agency, resigning Grimes and one of the D tackles, and ignoring cutting anyone not a FA like Wheeler, Patterson, or Moore. Also assuming losing 6th rd pick for signing McKinnie.

    Here goes. Perhaps optimistic, but not out of the question.

    1. Calvin Pryor, S Louisville
    2. Gabe Jackson G, Miss St
    3. Jeremy Hill RB, LSU
    4. Kelcy Quarles DT, S. Car
    5. James Hurst, OT NC
    7. Colt Lyerla, TE Or

    Discussion:
    I hate our safeties. Well, hate is strong but they are not great. Serviceable is the best I can do. Pryor immediately steps in as a hammer. Jackson should be self explanatory. Miller is fast but Hill is talented and a bigger back. He could be the workhorse Miami needs to make play action truly functional. Quarles adds depth or fills in for whomever leaves, Soliai or Starks. Hurst is probably a reach in the 5th, but he is coming off ACL surgery. Lyerla is simply a stud talent with a ten cent head. Maybe he can get coached up and be that seam threat TE. If not no big loss in the 7th. A gamble with all upside.
    Failure isn't fatal. Failure to change might be. - John Wooden
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    Awsi Dooger's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    6,222
    vCash:
    7265
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't think mocks are the ideal use of space on this forum. Comparative waste of resources, IMO. The names tend to blend together and don't prompt much discussion.

    From what I've seen, lots of posters here have very good opinions on specific players and it's interesting when those players are analyzed. That lends itself to a good overview of who is available and who the Dolphins should pursue, beyond one guesswork name among dozens or hundreds.

    I'm proud that my last mock was 1982. I realized that I was flailing while trying to predict someone else's opinion and not the value of the players themselves.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    Roman529's Avatar
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2004
    Posts:
    33,203
    vCash:
    8523
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    I don't think mocks are the ideal use of space on this forum. Comparative waste of resources, IMO. The names tend to blend together and don't prompt much discussion.

    From what I've seen, lots of posters here have very good opinions on specific players and it's interesting when those players are analyzed. That lends itself to a good overview of who is available and who the Dolphins should pursue, beyond one guesswork name among dozens or hundreds.

    I'm proud that my last mock was 1982. I realized that I was flailing while trying to predict someone else's opinion and not the value of the players themselves.
    HUH???? Where is a good place to post mock drafts other than the draft forum??? As far as the mock draft, not bad....I just am concerned about Hill and Lyerla who both have off-the-issues.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    Mudder1310's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2012
    Posts:
    1,518
    vCash:
    6670
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    I don't think mocks are the ideal use of space on this forum. Comparative waste of resources, IMO. The names tend to blend together and don't prompt much discussion.

    From what I've seen, lots of posters here have very good opinions on specific players and it's interesting when those players are analyzed. That lends itself to a good overview of who is available and who the Dolphins should pursue, beyond one guesswork name among dozens or hundreds.

    I'm proud that my last mock was 1982. I realized that I was flailing while trying to predict someone else's opinion and not the value of the players themselves.
    So...what are you even doing responding here? No one is making you participate in something you abandoned 30 years ago.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    19,399
    vCash:
    9942
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudder1310 View Post
    So...what are you even doing responding here? No one is making you participate in something you abandoned 30 years ago.
    Apparently, long-winded, rambling responses to threads he's not interested in are an ideal use of space.





    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    Mudder1310's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2012
    Posts:
    1,518
    vCash:
    6670
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Apparently, long-winded, rambling responses to threads he's not interested in are an ideal use of space.
    Hey, if he's got time, I have time.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    Danny's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2003
    Posts:
    9,989
    vCash:
    6226
    Loc:
    Kissimmee,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'll go insane if we take a damn safety with our first pick. Even if we get an olineman in free agency we need to draft one too and early. I believe we need a safety but not as much as we need oline, RB,TE,LB and even a corner.

    Ozzy rules!!
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    Mudder1310's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2012
    Posts:
    1,518
    vCash:
    6670
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I'll go insane if we take a damn safety with our first pick. Even if we get an olineman in free agency we need to draft one too and early. I believe we need a safety but not as much as we need oline, RB,TE,LB and even a corner.

    Ozzy rules!!
    So you'd rather take an O lineman who is really a second rounder over a bona fide stud safety? All I'm doing is waiting to take a second round guy until the second round, getting a top playmaker along with it.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    Rookie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2007
    Posts:
    43
    vCash:
    1057
    Loc:
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree we need a safety, but I don't know about 1st round. I think 1st pick should be lineman. If you believe the guys from NFL network, who are covering the senior bowl, Zack Martin is now a top 20 pick. Why not him? or Timmy Jurnigan who elevated his stock during the national title game? For safety, Pryor could go in rd #1 and won't be there when we pick in round 2. We could trade down in the 1st and should still be able to get him. If not Dion Bailey could be available in round 2. I love the Jackson pick if Bailey is gone. Either Jackson or the guard from UCLA. One of those three in round 2 would make my day. Not a big Hill fan. Should have stayed in school. Federowitcz would be a good 3rd round pick. Morgan Moses or Daniel McCullers might be available, although McCullers is playing himself into the 2nd round. If Carlos Hyde is still there in round 3, do what you gotta do. Quarles has played himself into day 3 and would be a great 4th round pick. Keith McGill, a db from Utah would make a great 4th rounder also. I really like James Hurst, but a team like San Francisco will draft players like him and Aaron Colvin with their extra 2nd and 3rd round picks and stash them for a year, just like they did with Lattimore. That's one reason why they are always competitive Lyerla is a good 7th round gamble. We could take a TE in round 5 if we don't take one earlier.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2005
    Posts:
    3,037
    vCash:
    2532
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JWA View Post
    I agree we need a safety, but I don't know about 1st round. I think 1st pick should be lineman. If you believe the guys from NFL network, who are covering the senior bowl, Zack Martin is now a top 20 pick. Why not him? or Timmy Jurnigan who elevated his stock during the national title game? For safety, Pryor could go in rd #1 and won't be there when we pick in round 2. We could trade down in the 1st and should still be able to get him. If not Dion Bailey could be available in round 2. I love the Jackson pick if Bailey is gone. Either Jackson or the guard from UCLA. One of those three in round 2 would make my day. Not a big Hill fan. Should have stayed in school. Federowitcz would be a good 3rd round pick. Morgan Moses or Daniel McCullers might be available, although McCullers is playing himself into the 2nd round. If Carlos Hyde is still there in round 3, do what you gotta do. Quarles has played himself into day 3 and would be a great 4th round pick. Keith McGill, a db from Utah would make a great 4th rounder also. I really like James Hurst, but a team like San Francisco will draft players like him and Aaron Colvin with their extra 2nd and 3rd round picks and stash them for a year, just like they did with Lattimore. That's one reason why they are always competitive Lyerla is a good 7th round gamble. We could take a TE in round 5 if we don't take one earlier.
    San Francisco definitely has the luxury of taking more chances on players simply because they are loaded with talent. It's a nice situation to be in. I agree with you on Zach Martin. I think he would be a perfect fit for the Dolphins, giving them some versatility as well as a talented player. I also like the guard from Stanford, David Yankey. But, Martin has that ability to play tackle as well.

    As far as running backs go, I would like Miami to get Toby Gerhart in free agency or maybe draft a late rounder like James Wilder Jr. who I think has as much talent as the top guys being discussed.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. another mock attempt
    By utahphinsfan in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 07:56 PM
  2. 1st attempt at Mock Draft from across the water.
    By Pat-London in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 05:32 AM
  3. My first ever mock draft attempt.
    By godfater21 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •