Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saying "Thug" is now racist.

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Saying "Thug" is now racist.

Today I’m wondering what it takes for a black man to be regarded as human in America.

Today Richard Sherman is being lambasted for his animated post-game interview in which he dared to express emotion outside of the cubic centimeter men of color are allotted. A cornerback in one of the most physically demanding sports in the country—after a game in which bodies were injured and crushed; after a game that required players to be helped off the field—wins a critical game and has a microphone stuck in his face. He says what he says, and suddenly the nation is clutching its pearls, tutting and making pretend-concerned remarks about sportsmanship and graciousness. Today, Tom Brady criticizes Richard Sherman for his lack of “graciousness.” Today, Richard Sherman is being called a thug, and I’m wondering what that word really means.

http://oliviaacole.wordpress.com/201...lack-humanity/

I thought he was acting "gangsta". Is that racist now?? How is it any different?? I'm totally confused someone help me!! I need PC training I think I'm a racist.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They can go **** themselves, thug is not racist, it is impartial, I know "thugs" of all colors and if anything I'm pissed that it is associated with only black people!!!
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2TtIUHnkq8

opie cunningham and his thugs....
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Lumberjack Batman

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Racist towards who? It's a relatively recent term of Indian origin.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Dub FX:
    Step On My Trip (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEPEleJVjOo
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Most people use it impartially. There are, of course, those vocal few out there who will use it as a euphemism for the n-word, or just racial animosity in general. The reason it's a story is that there are people out there who feel, whether accurately or not, that the word is more frequently associated with Black/Hispanic males than their white counterparts. "Ghetto" is another word you could say has taken on racial undertones. I can't speak for anyone else here, but I didn't see anything ghetto about Sherman's post game interview, and I doubt it would be described as such had Sherman been a white dude. I saw this also with the Trayvon Martin saga, where Martin was routinely labeled a thug by many of the posters on this board, while Zimmerman was not. The only concrete criticisms of Martin I'm aware of is that he was a teenager who drank cough syrup/soda a few times, took a picture with gold teeth, and smoked weed. Whereas Zimmerman was a grown man with a legitimate rap-sheet for abusing women and assaulting officers.

Many are emboldened now to speak on the subject because they believe this is a case where it's plainly being used unfairly. I believe Lebron tweeted "I don't know any thugs who graduated from Stanford", or something to that effect, so clearly it's making a few people uncomfortable out there.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    17-0, 347 wins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Milky Way
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo
    Sherman's thug comment has nothing to do with his views about racism and has everything to do with his new headphone commercial in which someone in the background yell's "thug".

Think Sherman was riled up during the commercial shoots about the word or is he just trying to promote some products?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sons of Shula View Post
    Sherman's thug comment has nothing to do with his views about racism and has everything to do with his new headphone commercial in which someone in the background yell's "thug".

Think Sherman was riled up during the commercial shoots about the word or is he just trying to promote some products?

Here’s the kicker: The promo was published hours before Sunday’s game, and well before Sherman let loose on national television. The fact that Sherman actually ended up talking trash in front of millions of viewers and then had to answer questions about it — just like the commercial — makes you wonder what magic the Beats’ marketing department has going for them.
    http://www.geekwire.com/2014/good-ti...ent-beats-dre/

Spot on dude. I think we all just got taken for a ride. Good marketing, but a total disservice to what's considered racism and race relations.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chester,Va.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Superman logoFord LogoCam Wake 91
    Redneck could be considered racist.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In light of the recent con-job that Sherman and Dre got us on. (I said con is that racist??)

I will say this....When did we become such pansies?? So easily offended and riled up?? Stick and Stones remember that?? You can't even sneeze without offending someone nowadays. It really is a black mark on our society.

Why does it have to be black??

I need help guys.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Obama and his thugs...Reid and his gangsta's...Pelosi and her rotting p.uss.y...
    Come and get me..
    Quote Quote