Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 'How I Met Your Mother' creators apologize for 'racism'

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

'How I Met Your Mother' creators apologize for 'racism'

In television, it's never good to end a successful sitcom series with people shouting "Racism!" at you on Twitter.

That's the situation faced by CBS's How I Met Your Mother, which concludes its ninth and final season on March 31 and hoped for a happy swan song. But this week the producers ended up apologizing for offending some Asian Americans with a kung fu homage episode that did not go over well or unnoticed.

In Monday night's episode, the Jason Segel character is trying to learn kung fu moves and his "teachers" are his co-stars Neil Patrick Harris, Josh Radnor, Cobie Smulders and Alyson Hannigan.

All of these people are white and were dressed up in stereotypical "Asian" attire, in what many suggested was a "yellowface" version of now-derided "blackface" that few showrunners these days would mistake for benign entertainment.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...acism/4523883/

We've become a nation of pansies.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Wait, so now not being racist is being a pansy? Okay.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Wait, so now not being racist is being a pansy? Okay.
    No.

Being so easily offended and riled up ,while screaming "racism". Over things that really aren't racist is the example.

You figure 40 years after Blazing Saddles people would be over these things. Instead people are over sensitive wimps.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    No.

Being so easily offended and riled up ,while screaming "racism". Over things that really aren't racist is the example.

You figure 40 years after Blazing Saddles people would be over these things. Instead people are over sensitive wimps.
    I watched the episode and it was "yellowface." Blazing Saddles was making fun of that kind of racism. There is a huge difference. I can see how Asians would be offended by it. If that makes me a wimp, well, that's usually a comment that comes from guys who have done FAR less "manly" things than I, so I really couldn't care less.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I watched the episode and it was "yellowface." Blazing Saddles was making fun of that kind of racism. There is a huge difference. I can see how Asians would be offended by it. If that makes me a wimp, well, that's usually a comment that comes from guys who have done FAR less "manly" things than I, so I really couldn't care less.

Much like Blazing Saddles it's all freaking satire. Hell Blazing Saddles actually used the n-word when referring to black people. All they did here was a Kung Fu bit. I agree THERE'S A HUGE DIFFERENCE. Anyone who thinks this is racism IMO doesn't know what racism really is. Not a clue. If this is your standard then it's really low. REAL LOW, like can't sneeze without offending someone low. Tell me was Three Amigos being racist when Chevy Chase has a brown face???

Under your standard 3 Amigos would be one of the most racist movies of all time. Hell Blazing Saddles would be motherFing Hitler in your eyes.

The point is that maybe, just maybe, that may not be true.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Well, at least you toned down the "pansy," "wimp," etc. nonsense. Now maybe we can discuss the topic.

This just tells me you can't differentiate between different types of comedy. There was nothing satirical about that episode. There was nothing similar to the two movies you reference. And even if there was, it doesn't matter. Something being okay in old timey times doesn't make it okay today. What they did offended a group of people. The show acknowledged that and apologized. Both move on. It's only angry (mostly) white men who keep grumbling about it long after.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, at least you toned down the "pansy," "wimp," etc. nonsense. Now maybe we can discuss the topic.

This just tells me you can't differentiate between different types of comedy. There was nothing satirical about that episode. There was nothing similar to the two movies you reference. And even if there was, it doesn't matter. Something being okay in old timey times doesn't make it okay today. What they did offended a group of people. The show acknowledged that and apologized. Both move on. It's only angry (mostly) white men who keep grumbling about it long after.
    No it's PC bullsh** that isn't racist at all. It's very possible to make fun of people without it being racist. It's been done countless times throughout recent history and still to this day. Unfortunately nowadays it's FAR more offensive to the point of nonsense. Racism has become far too broad and people far too sensitive. This coming from someone who's experienced racism first hand a few times. If this is your standard?? It doesn't even register on my scale.

So is 3 Amigos equally racist??

If so I'm launching a campaign to have Three Amigos removed from Netflix and all Red Boxes. I'm also launching a campaign against Speedy Gonzalez ,who's cleary a racist, along with banning the term "Mariachi" Band. We will replace it with "Happy Mexicans Who Love To Play Music For Gringos Band".
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    No it's PC bullsh** that isn't racist at all. It's very possible to make fun of people without it being racist. It's been done countless times throughout recent history and still to this day. Unfortunately nowadays it's FAR more offensive to the point of nonsense. Racism has become far too broad and people far too sensitive. This coming from someone who's experienced racism first hand a few times. If this is your standard?? It doesn't even register on my scale.
    I'm sure the Asian community is happy to have you representing their interests and telling them what they can and can't be offended by.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    This is why I like South Park's attitude. They are going to make fun of everyone and everything and if you find it offensive just don't watch it.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhankey81701 View Post
    This is why I like South Park's attitude. They are going to make fun of everyone and everything and if you find it offensive just don't watch it.
    We have a winner!!!!
    Quote Quote